Dave Grohl

Do talk back
Quaco
F R double E

Re: Dave Grohl

Postby Quaco » 11 Jan 2011, 01:12

mission wrote:So certainly more talented than Oliver Reed and a million miles less talented than Rick James.

This place does it all.

:)

Some really brilliant stuff in this thread, mission. Keep it coming.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 11 Jan 2011, 01:37

I never really think of the guy. I like Nirvana and the Foos when i hear them, but i never actively play them. I think Quaco's got right down to it when he asked what kind of kid would scratch his name into a desk. I'll take it a step further and say that DG is symptomatic of most modern rock star types. They all just seem arbitrary and random. Not untalented, but more like the most talented guy in your high school rather than in the world.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jan 2011, 04:31

bobzilla77 wrote:He's a wonderful drummer and a mediocre writer & bandleader.

A year or two ago when he went from jamming with Zeppelin to jamming with McCartney to offering to jam with the Who, I remember thinking that someone had taken my dreams and presented them to the wrong guy.

Both statements are true.

Foofighters are just okay, but he strikes me as a guy who's good and pound the drums, made the right connections, and genuinely appreciates the happenstances that got him there.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

mission

Postby mission » 11 Jan 2011, 06:20

That recognition of and gratefulness for the happenstances that got him there were written allover his happy-puppy face when he was in Nirvana. "Sure, dude, you want to jump into my kit? Fuck yeah, I'll jump into it too!" "Hey, you're shooting smack and getting a bit too far down? Well, I'll try look less fucking eager and maybe stop smiling but these teeth, I tell you, man, these teeth."

The fact that most people agree he drums like titanium rods being piledriven into the vagina of God but that most people reckon he drummed on QOTSA's big hit - ie, they cannot tell the difference - tells me all I need to know about Mr Sporty and his brand of athlete-approved cool.
Goodness gracious me.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jan 2011, 06:39

mission wrote:That recognition of and gratefulness for the happenstances that got him there were written allover his happy-puppy face when he was in Nirvana. "Sure, dude, you want to jump into my kit? Fuck yeah, I'll jump into it too!" "Hey, you're shooting smack and getting a bit too far down? Well, I'll try look less fucking eager and maybe stop smiling but these teeth, I tell you, man, these teeth."

The fact that most people agree he drums like titanium rods being piledriven into the vagina of God but that most people reckon he drummed on QOTSA's big hit - ie, they cannot tell the difference - tells me all I need to know about Mr Sporty and his brand of athlete-approved cool.

I think a lot of people read into themselves through Grohl. I think he's the epitome of transference or a tabula rosa and they write themselves into him.

You're doing it right now.

It's like people can't stand a happy guy.

Yes, I've had a few glasses of wine.

I usually don't use tabula rosa in everyday conversation.

mission

Postby mission » 11 Jan 2011, 08:48

Sloop - if I may call you Sloop? - you may have taken wine but in vino veritas, my friend. In vino veritas.

Why do you think we have spent 5 pages plumbing the shallow depths of Grohl-ness - without really mentioning the tunes, without really knowing the tunes? Because we are examining ourselves, man. You have nailed it. Grohl is a cipher, he is a vessel into which we pour ourselves.

Grohl himself is the human equivalent of wallpaper. In the kitchen of life he is at best a wok, perhaps one of those really thin saute pans.

We make of him what we are. Those of us who play instruments and dreamed of hanging with Zep and the Beatles, well, we are annoyed - justifiably so - at the guy for having been better at being us. Well, luckier. Definitely luckier.

Sure, he may drum like the minotaur on meth, crashing through the mazes of stoner rock and grunge and coming up smiles on Tuesday, but he is a nobody. He's hardly even there.
Goodness gracious me.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 11 Jan 2011, 09:03

mission wrote:Sure, he may drum like the minotaur on meth, crashing through the mazes of stoner rock and grunge and coming up smiles on Tuesday, but he is a nobody. He's hardly even there.

But the fact is, that he is an amazing drummer, and he dummed for one of the most important (not my favourite, bu hey) bands of the 90´s. I agree that he´s crap as a songwriter and as a frontman, but saying that he´s a nobody, just because he´s "only" good at playing drums, would be like saying that Keth Moon or John Bonham were disposable as well.
Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 11 Jan 2011, 09:05

My name is Spaulding wrote:
mission wrote:Sure, he may drum like the minotaur on meth, crashing through the mazes of stoner rock and grunge and coming up smiles on Tuesday, but he is a nobody. He's hardly even there.

But the fact is, that he is an amazing drummer, and he dummed for one of the most important (not my favourite, bu hey) bands of the 90´s. I agree that he´s crap as a songwriter and as a frontman, but saying that he´s a nobody, just because he´s "only" good at playing drums, would be like saying that Keth Moon or John Bonham were disposable as well.

But they had character, which is what the argument is - that Grohl has no character.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 11 Jan 2011, 09:16

comrade moleskin wrote:

But they had character, which is what the argument is - that Grohl has no character.

Maybe not when he´s talking or fronting a band, but there´s plenty of character in his playing. As has been pointed before, "Songs for the deaf" and the Them Crooked Vultures album feature a type of rock drumming that it´s not very easy to find these days.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Jan 2011, 13:53

If Page, Plant & Jones ever decided to reform, Grohl should be the drummer. I can 't rreally pay much more of a compliment.

As a person, I think he's a bit of an irritating twat.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jan 2011, 14:45

At about 4 in the morning, I woke up to take a piss and thought, "It's tabula rasa, you dope. Not tabula rosa."

As I tried going back to sleep, I thought, "Who knew Dave Grohl was such a lightning rod for controversy?"

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 11 Jan 2011, 15:07

comrade moleskin wrote:

I guess it depends on how you like your rock - if it has to be defined by the myths of outrageous behaviour, then i suppose yes, Grohl is a "nobody". Like Ringo Starr, Ginger Baker, Jim Capaldi etc. But like his music or not, he came up with a few great riffs in the 90s, and Everlong is one of best little singles of the 90s. And I wouldn't like to pretend to know whether the kids of today scrawl his name into schooldesks - to me that seems a bit of an odd piece of kudos to be arrogated - I suspect that with today's kids he's probably seen as a bit of a dinosaur from a different era...but I sure as fuck would prefer to have my kids scrawl his name than the vast majority of pop stars of today.

The point that alot of people are missing as well is that alot of these celebrity musicians that he plays with gravitate towards *him*, not the other way around.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 11 Jan 2011, 16:13

The important thing is that he plays drums like Prometheus sodomizing a Jonas brother. Can we agree on that much?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 11 Jan 2011, 16:22

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:The important thing is that he plays drums like Prometheus sodomizing a Jonas brother. Can we agree on that much?

I thought the consensus was that he played drums like Poseidon throwing both Robocop and Elian Gonzalez down a mail chute in the Empire State Building.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Django

Postby Django » 11 Jan 2011, 16:52

Nolamike wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:The important thing is that he plays drums like Prometheus sodomizing a Jonas brother. Can we agree on that much?

I thought the consensus was that he played drums like Poseidon throwing both Robocop and Elian Gonzalez down a mail chute in the Empire State Building.

You're thinking of that famous line about him drumming like Galactus kicking Neptune through the sun.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 11 Jan 2011, 17:32

As usual, I disagree with just about everything on this thread. He's more like Lucifer driving a road grader over the Earth, and the bodies of those who lie, screaming, crying for their lives.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 11 Jan 2011, 17:47

A good buddy maintains that Grohl's drumming is like Jack LaLane opening a bottle of Mountain Dew and pouring the contents on a plate in front of Pliny the Elder, while a kazoo orchestra plays the national anthem of Uzbekistan in the next room.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 11 Jan 2011, 17:55

i think at this stage this forum should be renamed The Daily Grohl.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

the hesitant weasel

Postby the hesitant weasel » 11 Jan 2011, 18:10

has God got a vagina then...

Blimey.
' Tweaking the nose of pomposity since 1964'

my blog site: http://thequestforthegarstonkillerwhale.blogspot.com

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 11 Jan 2011, 18:12

Diamond Dog wrote:If Page, Plant & Jones ever decided to reform, Grohl should be the drummer. I can 't rreally pay much more of a compliment.

The choice would be, IMO, between him and Matt Cameron.

Both of them drum like Maria Callas taking a nap inside Shane McGowan´s nostrils.

Return to “Yakety Yak”