David Wood (Straitjacket Fits) RIP

Do talk back
Magilla
Otago Mago

David Wood (Straitjacket Fits) RIP

Postby Magilla » 21 Nov 2010, 01:19

David Wood, bassist for Straitjacket Fits, passed away on Monday in Auckland, NZ. (I've only just found out, apart from a death notice in the New Zealand Herald there was nothing in the media). He leaves behind a wife and two daughters. Musically, there is of course, Straitjacket Fits three albums and assorted singles and eps.

I realise this won't be of any significance outside NZ, but Straitjacket Fits were major stars here between 1986 - 1994 and Wood was a key member all along. They were an incendiary live act - I saw them in at least seven different venues around the country, let alone how many times I saw them at Sammy's or Union Hall.

They re-united for a short tour in 2005 and looking back I'm glad they did - it gave a lot of people too young to have seen them in their prime the chance to see what all the fuss was about - and they were just as fine as ever.

I don't claim to have known Wood (although I've known Straitjacket Fits singer-guitarist Shayne Carter well enough to say hello to for many, many years), but he came across as a good guy when I interviewed Straitjacket Fits in 1987 and again when I bunped into him after their 2005 gig in Dunedin.

Straitjacket Fits were for myself, my friends and many other NZers of our generation, a major part of our youth. RIP David and thank you.

Last edited by Magilla on 21 Nov 2010, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

never/ever

Re: David Woods (Straitjacket Fits) RIP

Postby never/ever » 21 Nov 2010, 01:51

That is sad news indeed.

I love Straitjacket Fits a lot. Tragic that one of that fine band was taken away so soon.

RIP David.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Uncle Spellbinder
My Spine Is The Bassline

Re: David Wood (Straitjacket Fits) RIP

Postby Uncle Spellbinder » 21 Nov 2010, 02:11

Very sad news. I've always been a fan, have their discography.

RIP David. You will be missed.
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” - Frank Zappa

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 21 Nov 2010, 04:42

RIP. Great band, still listen to them a lot.
king of the divan

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 21 Nov 2010, 07:18

Oh man, that is sad. It's a shame I was not old enough to see the Straitjackets at their peak, but in hindsight, I'm pleased I saw them on their reunion tour. By all accounts, they never quite captured their live performance on record, but they left behind several very good to great singles, and David Wood was obviously a key part of that. Far too young an age to go.
RIP.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 21 Nov 2010, 10:23

RIP, thanks for the good music man.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 21 Nov 2010, 15:29

Very sad, RIP.

Return to “Yakety Yak”