John Sebastian is plagued by vocal problems

Do talk back
Quaco
F R double E

Re: John Sebastian is plagued by vocal problems

Postby Quaco » 15 Jan 2014, 20:15

RoseRunFarm wrote:John Sebastian has been my favorite singer/songwriter all my life, but it's time for him to retire. Maybe he could write a book that includes all the wonderful stories he has told us over the years. I'd buy it!

Sounds like a great idea! (And welcome, RRF.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Jan 2014, 21:41

Quaco wrote:(And welcome, RRF.)

Seconded!

di Maio
Location: Down in Dixieland loudly playing a silver fiddle, minding the Man

Postby di Maio » 17 Jan 2014, 03:15

RoseRunFarm wrote:I've been a John Sebastian fan since the 1960s. Over the past 50 years, I've seen every one of his concerts within two day's driving distance of my home. John is really a sweet guy, just like talking to an old friend. I've caught up with him after several concerts, and he loves to hang out and chat.

The first time I noticed a problem with John's voice was in Pittsburgh in 1989 when he on the Woodstock 20th anniversary tour. He apolozied to the audience, saying that he had a cold. Then at subsequent concerts over the next few years, his voice kept getting worse, yet he continued to excuse it by saying he had a cold, or the air conditioning on his plane got to his throat, or he was plagued by allergies.

People still flocked to John's concerts. An accomplished troubadour, he put on a great show with his tales from the Sixties mixed with his fans' favorite songs. Everyone knew his voice was faltering, but few cared. His concerts were a satisfying, nostalgic trip.

The last John Sebastian concert I attended was in September 2012 in York, Pennsylvania. His voice was so bad that he wasn't able to rescue the concert with his usual repartee. It was painful to watch him on stage, desperately trying to involve an audience that was cringing in silence.

John Sebastian has been my favorite singer/songwriter all my life, but it's time for him to retire. Maybe he could write a book that includes all the wonderful stories he has told us over the years. I'd buy it!

It brings me down to think of the "cringing in silence". But then I think he's extremely fortunate to have had such a good career for so long and it's slightly easier to swallow. Thanks for the input and welcome to the place! It's a bit shabby but if you clean it up you'll get looks.

der nister

Postby der nister » 17 Jan 2014, 15:14

Sebastian once past '66
is pretty marginal
and mostly an answer
to something involving
'Welcome Back Kotter'
it is sad that his voice
is weakening but short of disease or
a Phil Ochs type event
lifestyle is probably a major factor
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Postby ... » 14 May 2014, 10:44

seems to be his mid/later albums. Anyone out there know if it's worth getting?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Sebastian- ... RNZTN9ZP56

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 May 2014, 16:31

fueryhk(redux) wrote:seems to be his mid/later albums. Anyone out there know if it's worth getting?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Sebastian- ... RNZTN9ZP56

The first album is a worthy-enough follow-up to The Spoonful - perhaps not as essential as their four main albums, but very nice.

The Four Of Us has a few surprisingly great hard rockers, but the rest makes one wonder why he bothered. Some old hippies will disagree.

Third album Tarzana Kid is a sleeper - I quite like it. A nice chill-out album.

Welcome Back is a dog, thrown together under pressure after the unexpected 45 success of the title track (which I do love).

There's also this package which, though more expensive, includes all of the above plus Cheapo Cheapo Productions Presents Real Live John Sebastian, which is many fans' favorite JS album. (An earlier Rhino Handmade set with the same cover included additional live recordings, not included here.)

Return to “Yakety Yak”