44%
The Thin White Duke
56%

Total votes: 80

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: David Bowie vs. James Brown

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Jul 2010, 20:05

I'm kind of a rockist myself, but I might hop the fence for this one.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Jul 2010, 20:08

They both had good hair though.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Jul 2010, 20:08

Josef Tay wrote:Bowie was stylistically all over the shop - accusations of pilfering and recycling, be damned! - and just more interesting to my ears.

Bowie made some great records, but they weren't great because they were stylistically all over the shop. I don't see how genre hopping in itself confers quality.

Making great records in more than one style doesn't make the records greater than if they'd all been made in the same style.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Josef Tay
Back with a vengeance much in vogue

Postby Josef Tay » 28 Jul 2010, 20:19

Snarfyguy wrote:
Josef Tay wrote:Bowie was stylistically all over the shop - accusations of pilfering and recycling, be damned! - and just more interesting to my ears.

Bowie made some great records, but they weren't great because they were stylistically all over the shop. I don't see how genre hopping in itself confers quality.

Making great records in more than one style doesn't make the records greater than if they'd all been made in the same style.

Yes, but I never said they were better records than Brown's, I said I preferred them due to being more interesting to me!
martha wrote:"Teaches my kid that if they try anything on their own they will fail and that they must have help in everything or disaster will befall them. The music irritates me too as does the ducks lisp."

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2010, 20:19

Snarfyguy wrote:

No, but you could argue having the ability and imagination to successfully explore a range of styles and moods makes one a more expressive artist than somebody who essentially repeats themselves.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Jul 2010, 20:23

Anyway, to the trained ear, there's lots of variation in JB's work.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 28 Jul 2010, 20:24

The Modernist wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

No, but you could argue having the ability and imagination to successfully explore a range of styles and moods makes one a more expressive artist than somebody who essentially repeats themselves.

Hmmm... I don't know about "more expressive" - Hank Williams, for example, stuck to his thing, and is one of the most expressive artists I've ever heard. And I think Brown actually had a good deal of change throughout his career - some of the differences are a bit subtle, but there is a huge difference between JB in 1960 and JB in 1970, for example.

But at any rate, this thread is a bit "apples to oranges."
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Jul 2010, 20:25

Count Machuki wrote:Anyway, to the trained ear, there's lots of variation in JB's work.

JB invented a whole style of music!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Jul 2010, 20:27

Lance Matthew wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:Anyway, to the trained ear, there's lots of variation in JB's work.

JB invented a whole style of music!

A Britisher will be along shortly to tell you that Bowie did, too!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Jul 2010, 20:27

Bowie did, too!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2010, 20:27

I've been listening to James Brown half my life, but texturally or emotionally there is not great variety to his music. I don't dispute his brilliance.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Jul 2010, 20:29

Minnie the Minx wrote:Bowie did, too!

Examples?

Josef Tay
Back with a vengeance much in vogue

Postby Josef Tay » 28 Jul 2010, 20:30

Care to point me in the direction of something that might help me reconsider, Machuki? To be honest, anything I have heard by Brown just seems like more of the same.
martha wrote:"Teaches my kid that if they try anything on their own they will fail and that they must have help in everything or disaster will befall them. The music irritates me too as does the ducks lisp."

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Jul 2010, 20:31

The Modernist wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

I can certainly see how the artist that didn't plough the same furrow could see seen as the more interesting one, but it seems to me that a proper way to compare these two is by stacking up how many great records they each made and seeing who has more/better ones.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Jul 2010, 20:31

Lance Matthew wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:Bowie did, too!

Examples?

Ask nicely :x
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 28 Jul 2010, 20:32

Bowie's eyes are two different colors so I disqualify him and vote for JB.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Jul 2010, 20:37

Josef Tay wrote:

Care to point me in the direction of something that might help me reconsider, Machuki? To be honest, anything I have heard by Brown just seems like more of the same.

Last edited by Count Machuki on 28 Jul 2010, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 28 Jul 2010, 20:37

The Modernist wrote:

I've been listening to James Brown half my life, but texturally or emotionally there is not great variety to his music. I don't dispute his brilliance.

Well, yes, but your ears aren't trained, you see.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 28 Jul 2010, 20:37

The Modernist wrote:

Well there is a huge difference between say 'Live at the Apollo' or his early soul sides, and say 'Say It Live and Loud: Dallas '68' which is the funk side of thing. And then 'The Payback' sounds different again. I guess in all cases he had a red hot band, but they are very different sounds - they could be by a different act if you didn't know better.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Jul 2010, 20:39

Balboa wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

Well there is a huge difference between say 'Live at the Apollo' or his early soul sides, and say 'Say It Live and Loud: Dallas '68' which is the funk side of thing. And then 'The Payback' sounds different again. I guess in all cases he had a red hot band, but they are very different sounds - they could be by a different act if you didn't know better.

This man has trained his ears.

Return to “Yakety Yak”