Re: David Bowie vs. James Brown

Postby Sneelock » 28 Jul 2010, 20:40

trained ears, yesterday.
[youtube]N35Xu1-2TIs&NR=1&feature=fvwp[/youtube]

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Jul 2010, 20:41

It's all a bit more subtle than the difference between 'The Laughing Gnome' and 'Drive-In Saturday,' so I can understand folks not getting it right away.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Jul 2010, 20:42

On the other hand, James Brown backed Nixon!

What was up with that, exactly, anybody?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 28 Jul 2010, 20:42

I trained my ears to roll over, sit up and play dead. Or at least I tried to. The buggers wouldn't listen.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2010, 20:44

Of course his early 60's records sounded different from his 70 onwards funk period. But within his funk period, which is arguably what he's most celebrated for -there isn't huge variety. They are still great records.
And let's stop all this nonsense about trained ears. We're all music fans here.

Josef Tay
Back with a vengeance much in vogue

Postby Josef Tay » 28 Jul 2010, 20:44

Cheers for that, Machuki - I'll have a listen to those and see what I think. I can't make any promises, maybe the Godfather just isn't for me...we shall see.
martha wrote:"Teaches my kid that if they try anything on their own they will fail and that they must have help in everything or disaster will befall them. The music irritates me too as does the ducks lisp."

Josef Tay
Back with a vengeance much in vogue

Postby Josef Tay » 28 Jul 2010, 20:45

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I trained my ears to roll over, sit up and play dead. Or at least I tried to. The buggers wouldn't listen.

I had to send my ears to a lughole psychologist once, after they continually dug up the neighbour's yard.
martha wrote:"Teaches my kid that if they try anything on their own they will fail and that they must have help in everything or disaster will befall them. The music irritates me too as does the ducks lisp."

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 28 Jul 2010, 20:51

there's an old "south bank show" about funk where they interview Bootsy Collins about working with JB. Bootsy (and others) talk about JB telling them to find "The One" when they were playing. Bootsy demonstrates and you get the feeling that "the one" is something that the players are actually injecting into their playing. JB's players had a lot of skill, they also had a unity of purpose. I think you can hear this intention in the grooves. there's more than skill in that playing - there's something else.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 Jul 2010, 20:57

Sneelock wrote:there's more than skill in that playing - there's something else.

They were terrified of being fined. :lol:
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 28 Jul 2010, 20:58

works for me!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Jul 2010, 20:59

toomanyhatz wrote:
Sneelock wrote:there's more than skill in that playing - there's something else.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're right though.

Fela used the same control over his band's precision too.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Jul 2010, 21:02

Snarfyguy wrote:On the other hand, James Brown backed Nixon!

What was up with that, exactly, anybody?

Short answer: Mr. Brown was a self-made man and bought into that whole conservative bootstrap thing.

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Jul 2010, 21:04

Also, supposedly Nix said to JB, "A guy like you shouldn't have to pay taxes."

JB took that seriously.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Jul 2010, 21:06

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 28 Jul 2010, 21:08

sloopjohnc wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:

You're right though.

Fela used the same control over his band's precision too.

I'm glad somebody bought Fela up. Everybody knows what Fela meant to "Remain in Light" era Talking Heads. well, what did JB mean to Fela? I think this osmosis is notable and continues apace one way or another. JB influenced people who influence people. look at Prince.

okay, you can stop looking at him.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 28 Jul 2010, 21:21

Some reasoned commentary going on here. I'm surprised, because some of these matchups seem dominated by opinions that are so obviously one way or the other that one gets the impression the other isn't even being considered. I'm most interested in hearing comparisons from people who love both immensely.

In pairing these two, you get sort of an Apollonian vs. Dionysian thing going. The Apollonians think that dancing and emoting is but one small aspect of human nature, and that an artist that explores not only this but also worlds of imagery and melody beyond this is obviously superior. The Dionysian will think that there is a trueness to the deep exploration of that world, and that flitting about with things one doesn't know about is actually a strike against, and that depth of emotion is the true test.

Or something like that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 28 Jul 2010, 21:21

I'm a fan of both, but a fair amount of Bowie's 'greatest hits' has me gritting my teeth and cursing his pretentiousness. But my fave ten Bowie tracks would probably give me greater pleasure than the ten from JB.

I think.

I'm in awe of James Brown. Aren't we all?

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 28 Jul 2010, 21:24

The Modernist wrote:Of course his early 60's records sounded different from his 70 onwards funk period. But within his funk period, which is arguably what he's most celebrated for -there isn't huge variety. They are still great records.

But the stuff before the funk stuff is flat out great too - why are people so dismissive of it as if he would be forgotten about if he hadn't dropped 'Out of Sight' or 'Cold Sweat'. That first Apollo album is still the benchmark by which all live albums are judged - he is one of my favourite soul singers period. That's what makes him so great in many ways - he was already pretty incredible before he turned music on its head.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Jul 2010, 21:24

Quaco wrote:Some reasoned commentary going on here. I'm surprised, because some of these matchups seem dominated by opinions that are so obviously one way or the other that one gets the impression the other isn't even being considered. I'm most interested in hearing comparisons from people who love both immensely.

In pairing these two, you get sort of an Apollonian vs. Dionysian thing going. The Apollonians think that dancing and emoting is but one small aspect of human nature, and that an artist that explores not only this but also worlds of imagery and melody beyond this is obviously superior. The Dionysian will think that there is a trueness to the deep exploration of that world, and that flitting about with things one doesn't know about is actually a strike against, and that depth of emotion is the true test.

Or something like that.

I'm glad you wrote that last line because I don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 28 Jul 2010, 21:25

Bowie, but it's tough. I here a progression (note: not just a variety) to his work, an ability to serve different moods and emotions, and a femininity that appeals to me more. I could get lost in David Bowie for a weekend; JB for about an hour. It's a pretty visceral hour, I admit, but still just an hour.

And there are a good couple of hip-hop acts who for me might beat David Bowie in a match-up, so this is no partisan choice.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Return to “Yakety Yak”