REAP CORNER

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby C » 12 Nov 2021, 14:33

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Le Orme - Felona E Serona
I'm getting used to this Italian Prog. Give in to the operatic vocals, gorgeous music, and romantic ambience of the endeavor, and don't worry about not being able to know what they're singing about. I don't know if I could tell these guys from PFM or Banco, but I enjoy what I've heard so far.

I think you could Matt if you try a couple their other albums.

A great band

NP

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Nov 2021, 15:44

Le Orme - Felona E Serona
I'm getting used to this Italian Prog. Give in to the operatic vocals, gorgeous music, and romantic ambience of the endeavor, and don't worry about not being able to know what they're singing about. I don't know if I could tell these guys from PFM or Banco, but I enjoy what I've heard so far.

You won’t get much input about current decade prog music on here ;) but if you are getting into it, there are some very good modern Italian bands which are worth your time.

Try

Logos
La Coscienza Di Zino
La Maschera Di Cera
Submarine Silence
Raven Sad

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Nov 2021, 10:09

An incredible band

Incredible riff-makers

A great track from a great album

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 15 Nov 2021, 13:27

robertff wrote:NP

New release from the Grapefruit label.

This is very good!

robertff

Postby robertff » 15 Nov 2021, 14:37

NP

4CD set

When they were good they were very, very good.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Nov 2021, 18:48

666 - Aphrodite's Child
Weird Greek prog double LP concept album concerning the apocalypse and Biblical references. written by Vangelis, of all people. Some cool cuts, some noodling, and some baffling numbers as well. I'm sure some here love it.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 15 Nov 2021, 19:09

666 - Aphrodite's Child
Weird Greek prog double LP concept album concerning the apocalypse and Biblical references. written by Vangelis, of all people. Some cool cuts, some noodling, and some baffling numbers as well. I'm sure some here love it.

I wouldn't say I love it ( obvious drawback is Demis' voice), but musically its' fine with some good little tunes

robertff

Postby robertff » 15 Nov 2021, 19:41

666 - Aphrodite's Child

Not one I play regularly, it's okay - enough said.

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Nov 2021, 20:52

666 - Aphrodite's Child

Completely overrated

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 Nov 2021, 17:35

Often gets a bit of stick!

I like it though

Slim/Huw hates it!

Tough times...

In 1975, the band gathered at Morgan Studios, Brussels to rehearse and record Mother Focus. They reunited with Terheggen to oversee the project as executive producer, but the group found themselves without a collective direction; van Leer put its failure down to the band's recording contract which required them to produce one studio album each year, the pressures of touring had affected the songs, and a lack of overall interest from the band. In addition, Akkerman continued to record parts separately, showing no sign of an improvement in his relationship with van Leer. Ruiter became a more prominent songwriter and contributed more ideas than he had on previous Focus albums; he and Allen, after recording "I Need a Bathroom", began to experiment with a drum machine to aid their ideas, but the drummer recalled Akkerman got angry, shouted at him, and tossed the machine across the room. Allen was fired the next day, not knowing who made the decision. He was required to pay what he owed to the group during his tenure which amounted to roughly £10,000, using his earnings from royalties to pay much of it. Despite the problems, he "will always remain proud to have been a member". In May 1975, at the suggestion of their studio engineer, American drummer David Kemper was brought in to complete the rest of the album

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 Nov 2021, 17:58

Did we know PJ Proby is the great-grandson of of Old West outlaw John Wesley Hardin....?

I didn't

robertff

Postby robertff » 17 Nov 2021, 19:03

Lord Rother wrote:

This is very good!

Didn’t think this was your sort of thing Lord.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Nov 2021, 20:02

robertff wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:

This is very good!

Didn’t think this was your sort of thing Lord.

In small doses I do enjoy digging into the roots of prog and psych.

I played this album on the way home this evening as a result of the above comp. Some really good tracks on there.

I had never heard of them, though probably should have as I see Andy Somers was the main man.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Nov 2021, 20:05

C wrote:Did we know PJ Proby is the great-grandson of of Old West outlaw John Wesley Hardin....?

I didn't

Neither did I.

Nice little piece of triv!

robertff

Postby robertff » 18 Nov 2021, 14:59

NP

Original numbered version. I remember when this first came out, there was never meant to be another repressing or anything like that, marketing eh?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 18 Nov 2021, 15:55

Camel - Nude 1981
Infinitely better than the Camel LP I looked at a couple of weeks ago (I Can See Your House from Here). A concept album (I guess you can call it that) about a Japanese soldier who never surrendered after WWll (he really existed). Mostly instrumental, as you'd expect from these guys.

Recommended.

C
Robust

Postby C » 18 Nov 2021, 16:03

Camel - Nude 1981
Infinitely better than the Camel LP I looked at a couple of weeks ago (I Can See Your House from Here). A concept album (I guess you can call it that) about a Japanese soldier who never surrendered after WWll (he really existed). Mostly instrumental, as you'd expect from these guys.

Recommended.

An excellent album. the last tour I saw them. Downhill from here....

Be careful when you google images:

"Camel Nude"

C
Robust

Postby C » 19 Nov 2021, 09:54

NP

Full of music

A corker

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 19 Nov 2021, 11:23

Lord Rother wrote:Cyan was initially formed in the 80s, main man being Rob Reed, he of Magenta.

It’s been a side project with a number of releases down the years, when free time from his other projects allows.

His music rarely shows on Spotify so, despite being interested, I haven’t heard any of their material.

However, there’s been a new band put together to re-record / reimagine the debut album For King and Country featuring (and this particulary grabbed my interest) the marvellous Peter Jones, the blind multi-instrumentalist, velvet voiced chap who now performs with Camel, Red Bazaar and is Tiger Moth Tales. (I first brought him to Reap’s Corner’s attention about 6 years ago, with a couple of acoustic covers of Genesis songs which, IIRC, were well received.

I actually heard this track on Caroline a couple of nights ago and was hugely impressed. I don’t tend to seek out music on YouTube but wondered if it might be there - little did I expect such a superb video.

I haven’t been bowled over by 2021 prog releases but this is bloomin’ excellent. Massive influences are obvious but well worth 15 mins of your time.

I was reading about this in Prog magazine and looked it up on Spotify but like all his stuff it isn’t there….

That’s fabulous, I may have to buy it.
“Erratic associate member”

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Nov 2021, 11:35

It gives me a nice warm feeling that somebody else has had the same positive reaction to a 2021 release! :D

Return to “Yakety Yak”