Lennon
51%
McCartney
49%

Total votes: 80

sloopjohnc

Re: John Lennon vs Paul McCartney

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 May 2017, 19:03

Quaco wrote:Which mega-famous '60s stars (living or dead) would you actually like to hang out with long-term? Lennon, McCartney, Elton, Mick, Keith, Morrison, Townshend, Moon? Maybe Mick, maybe Entwistle. The rest seem pretty difficult! The less famous ones are always easier.

I think you could add Fogerty in there and up the jerk quotient pretty high.

I don't think Brian Wilson exudes a whole lotta arrogance. He seems to be mostly about the music and that's it.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 02 May 2017, 19:22

Diamond Dog wrote:I'm not sure I ever told you about the time I met McCartney.... walking down Oxford St in broad daylight, with Linda, back in March 1981.... he was walking along - completely unmobbed- and I saw the pair of them a couple of hundred yards away. My brothers didn't believe me - until we got right up to them... I had no idea what to say... I just blurted out "Hello Paul" he came right back with "Wallo..." and they carried on walking. I loved that.
The interesting thing is - that's three months after Lennon was gunned down in NYC. I think that took huge courage. So, if he could do it then... I'm pretty sure he could now. He's certainly not as big a name now as then (in terms of chart success etc).
I also have massive admiration for the fact he sent his kids through comprehensive school.... and told them at a very early age they weren't going to inherit from his estate....
So I like Paul. I just think it's clear he can be an utter cock sometimes (but, as was pointed out, can't we all).

In the interest of derailing this thread further, I'll share my little anecdote about the time I "met" Neil Young. Hold on, let me get out my Commander McBragg voice: "There... La Cienaga Boulevard. Did I ever tell you about the time..."

Bert Jansch was touring with Neil, I guess it was 2009 or something. Part of the deal was Bert headlining his own show in LA, with Neil's wife as support act. She was okay, nothing earth-shattering, but she had Ben Keith AND Spooner Oldham in her band, so that was great. It was a 300-seat theatre, and the place was pretty much sold out. I imagine there was a contingent of Neil fans who wanted to experience his awesomeness secondhand through his wife, or maybe even have an actual Neil sighting at some point.

So there we were, Bobzilla and I, on the sidewalk in front of the venue before the concert. Hardly anyone there yet, we'd gotten there early to beat the traffic and find somewhere to park. Two people are standing about 20 feet away from us. A car pulls up, and the guy gets out to chat with them. Yup, it's Neil. He did that subtle glance around, that situational awareness every public figure does, to see if it's safe (he was alone in the car). Naturally, he sees us, and when my eyes met his, I did the only thing I could think of: I smiled, nodded, and took one step back. I could have just stood there, but it seemed like a good symbolic gesture - "Yeah, I know it's you, but I'm not going to bother you, and I like where I am, so I'm not going to walk away either." He smiled and nodded back. What would I have to say to Neil Young that he hasn't heard a million times over the last fifty years? I could see the look in his eyes, he did seem to appreciate it. Stories about his character are plentiful - I'm sure his now-ex-wife has a few - but at least he appreciated a simple gesture from someone who just wanted to let him hang out and enjoy himself.

And yeah, his wife was performing that night, of course he'd expect to be noticed if he showed up - it wasn't like he was at Gelson's doing his grocery shopping. But that's one thing about LA - most people here really don't approach celebrities when we encounter them in public. It's the tourists who do that. I assume the same goes for New York or London - they're just part of the fabric here, we're as busy as they are trying to get our errands done.

Oh, and Bert was phenomenal. So I did experience awesomeness that night, I'm happy to say!

Quaco wrote:Which mega-famous '60s stars (living or dead) would you actually like to hang out with long-term? Lennon, McCartney, Elton, Mick, Keith, Morrison, Townshend, Moon? Maybe Mick, maybe Entwistle. The rest seem pretty difficult! The less famous ones are always easier.

Well, since we're going down this road anyway... my aforementioned writer friend has an Entwistle story that had nothing to do with his work. He was hanging at The Rainbow on Sunset, and Entwistle takes the seat next to him at the bar. He seemed more interesting in chatting up the lady next to him, so my friend left him alone. After a few minutes, John turned around, offered his hand, and said, "Hi, I'm John Entwistle." Guess he felt reasonably safe at that point. They chatted for a few minutes - "So what do you do?" "I write for television." "Really, what show?" He was more interested in hearing about someone else for a change. Then my friend finally mentioned seeing The Who in concert years earlier. "Really? When was this?" "Boston 1973."

Anyone who knows their Who history knows about that infamous night. Entwistle just did a facepalm, then with a sheepish grin he said, "Sorry about that. We really stunk up the joint that night, didn't we?" Funny how you can play hundreds of great shows, but it's the one crappy one you remember, 20 years later. Probably because no one will let you forget, it's in all the books and everything! They both had a laugh over it. So yeah, Entwistle sounds like he would have been a good hang, but I think it's down to the situation - if you approach them, they're on the defensive, but if you leave them alone, they're more willing to be personable. For all they know, you don't have the slightest idea who they are, and how embarrassing would that be if they put on airs for someone who laughed in their face?

"Quite."

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 02 May 2017, 19:33

An ex-girlfriend of mine was at NAMM playing a bass (she wasn't really a musician) and Entwistle came up behind her and said "you suck!" (Apparently not in a mean way - just kind of jokingly.) She said she laughed.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 May 2017, 19:34

I think Jimi would have been sweet.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 02 May 2017, 19:46

Diamond Dog wrote:I think Jimi would have been sweet.

You can get a taste of it here. I adore this ...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 May 2017, 20:30

He always comes over as a very gentle guy with very few ego issues.

Of course, that may have been how he *liked* to be known....
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 02 May 2017, 20:35

Quaco wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I think Jimi would have been sweet.

You can get a taste of it here. I adore this ...

Never saw that before, he's hammered :shock:

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 02 May 2017, 20:39

Diamond Dog wrote:He always comes over as a very gentle guy with very few ego issues.

Of course, that may have been how he *liked* to be known....

Well, there's always a dichotomy, in all of us. Ego vs. non-ego. But in interviews, he was always embarrassed to be singled out as "the world's greatest guitarist", and it really seemed to throw him off (whereas someone like Paul McCartney might act humble but clearly enjoy the compliment), so I would guess he truly was someone who didn't like to project his ego too much. But in that clip, he enjoys fucking with the guy a bit ('what's all this about you being a wizard and all this?'), playing into the guy's ego, as well as playing to the woman. So there's subtle oneupsmanship there, though it seems to be in good fun.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 02 May 2017, 20:44

zoomboogity wrote:

Well, since we're going down this road anyway... my aforementioned writer friend has an Entwistle story that had nothing to do with his work. He was hanging at The Rainbow on Sunset, and Entwistle takes the seat next to him at the bar. He seemed more interesting in chatting up the lady next to him, so my friend left him alone. After a few minutes, John turned around, offered his hand, and said, "Hi, I'm John Entwistle." Guess he felt reasonably safe at that point. They chatted for a few minutes - "So what do you do?" "I write for television." "Really, what show?" He was more interested in hearing about someone else for a change. Then my friend finally mentioned seeing The Who in concert years earlier. "Really? When was this?" "Boston 1973."

Anyone who knows their Who history knows about that infamous night. Entwistle just did a facepalm, then with a sheepish grin he said, "Sorry about that. We really stunk up the joint that night, didn't we?" Funny how you can play hundreds of great shows, but it's the one crappy one you remember, 20 years later. Probably because no one will let you forget, it's in all the books and everything! They both had a laugh over it. So yeah, Entwistle sounds like he would have been a good hang, but I think it's down to the situation - if you approach them, they're on the defensive, but if you leave them alone, they're more willing to be personable. For all they know, you don't have the slightest idea who they are, and how embarrassing would that be if they put on airs for someone who laughed in their face?

That's a cool story. It does seem like the third bananas tend to be the coolest and less difficult. Geo. Harrison too, though grumpy when it came to all things Beatles, seemed to be a humorous and interested person in real life.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 02 May 2017, 22:37

As vocalists - a tie. Lennon's soulful snarl versus McCartney's versatility.

As songwriters during the Beatles years - a tie. You can't have one without the other.

As solo artist - McCartney. To my older ears, his self-psychoanalysis and hundred songs about how much he loves Yoko can get pretty tedious. Have you listened to the Imagine album lately? It's not very good, other than the title track and "Jealous Guy". Plastic Ono Band is a bit stronger, but only a bit. McCartney wins with McCartney, Ram, and Band on the Run. Three strong entries. Even if he had recorded nothing else, he'd win on the basis of those. Hell, he'd win with "Dear Boy" alone. George comes in second as a solo artist on the strength of All Things Must Pass. Lennon third, Ringo fourth. Unless Billy Preston counts. Then he'd be fourth.
a gibbon running freely

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 02 May 2017, 22:55

You have GROSSLY underestimated Plastic Ono Band!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 02 May 2017, 22:59

Still Baron wrote:You have GROSSLY underestimated Plastic Ono Band!

Yet I know it well. It's an old friend of mine. But it's one of those old friends who you get annoyed with after a while.
a gibbon running freely

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 02 May 2017, 23:06

For what it's worth, I couldn't choose a Beatle either. For most of my life, the reflexive answer would've been John, but now all I hear is Paul. For example, my late Revolver revelation came when I clicked in with the Paul songs on that record. The Lennon songs are what you come for, but the Paul songs are what cement it all together and provide crazy contrast.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 16 Nov 2018, 12:30

LeBaron wrote:For what it's worth, I couldn't choose a Beatle either. For most of my life, the reflexive answer would've been John, but now all I hear is Paul. For example, my late Revolver revelation came when I clicked in with the Paul songs on that record. The Lennon songs are what you come for, but the Paul songs are what cement it all together and provide crazy contrast.

Puh
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Nov 2018, 12:32

gash’s trollish obsession wrote:Lennon.

I think that the pro-McCartney lobby have now had full reign for twenty years or so ( Flowers in the Dirt on). What started as a necessary corrective to Lennon's exhalted status post-murder has now become overwhelming. Paul was incredible, of course, but Lennon carries a greater weight ( however it got there ).

When I was listening to the mono discs last year I found myself knocked out by Lennon's contribution all over again.

After The Beatles ? The jury's still out for me, I can easily live without Paul's post-Wings recordings and it's undeniable that he hit a second sweet spot during the 70s but there's something about Lennon's mindset that really sings to me, all that ballsy hectoring and funkily ridiculous importance.

Yep.

And where's HE gone, anyway?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Nov 2018, 12:56

Didn’t you get the PM?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Nov 2018, 13:02

?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Nov 2018, 13:13

;)
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 17 Nov 2018, 12:45

Quaco wrote:Which mega-famous '60s stars (living or dead) would you actually like to hang out with long-term?

All of them!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Nov 2018, 13:41

Lennon's main contributions to Beatles were significant when they were co-writes. After Sgt. Pepper, McCartney really took the lead. McCartney was always a better popmeister and balladeer, Lennon the more authentic rocker. For psychedelia they both tripped about equally. Lennon was wise not to spread himself too thin in the solo years, but Paul had so many better hits then and also at least one bona fide masterpiece album, Band on the Run.

Paul it is.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Yakety Yak”