Todd Rundgren -AWATS live. 20 stars out of a possible 10!!!!

Do talk back
Piggly Wiggly

Todd Rundgren -AWATS live. 20 stars out of a possible 10!!!!

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 14 Sep 2009, 19:53

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Fuck, man!

First of all, if you even remotely believe in this album (or in Todd's music), this is a must see.

I've seen him pull all kinds of crap over the years (doing a turgid new album in full, covering Tom fucking Cochrane, "rapping" in a wet suit), and he is about as hit or miss a live music proposition as you will find.

Well, FUCK all that.

His performance last night of A Wizard A True Star was nothing short of stunning. It's a very personal record, a very "id" record, and seeing it performed THAT powerfully was about as "Todd" as seeing "Todd" will ever get.

The opening act (completely unannounced and unadvertised) was Utopia (Todd, Kasim, Roger, and Prarie Prince). Set up just like a support act, single file across the stage in front of Rundgren's gear, under harsh white lighting in white Hanes t shirts. I certainly never expected to see Utopia live, and - as wobbly as their whole trip generally is - they were outstanding. Their austere presentation seems partly to have been a matter of setting context for what followed.

As for the main act? Wow! Three keyboardists (Greg Hawkes was among them) certainly gave the desired sonic effect, and the band (also featuring bass, guitar, drums) really played the shit out of that music (I wouldn't dream of performing something like "Flamingo", and they nailed it). All dressed in matching white tuxedo suits with tails.

Todd not only sang his ass off, but he performed each number in a different costume. "International Feel" he sang as a spaceman. "You Don't Have To Camp Around" he sang in the infamous Midnight Special "Liberace" outfit which was rumored to have killed his career back in 1973, the soul medley (this was easily the most moving part of the night for me) he performed in a sharp orange suit, "Just Another Onion Head" he performed in a "fat guy" suit which deflated throughout "Sometimes I Just Don't Know What To Feel". The silliness of all this might seem off putting on paper, but...it was yet another element which really brought these songs to life.

Imagine one of your favorite LPs made flesh with all the pizazz and narrative staging of a top shelf Broadway production, but with the very human elements of a man singing his heart out while a band, quite simply, "puts out".

I may never go see the man again. This is untoppable.

I've seen SMiLE, Forever Changes, and...presumably some other masterpiece (Double Live Gonzo?) performed onstage. All magnificent, yet...somehow this cut quite a bit deeper.

Miss this at your peril, Todd Rundgren fans.

Quaco
F R double E

Re: Todd Rundgren -AWATS live. 20 stars out of a possible 10!!!!

Postby Quaco » 14 Sep 2009, 20:14

Well, I figured it would be damn cool, but it sounds like it was way beyond that. I hope he does one of these on the West Coast somewhere!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 14 Sep 2009, 20:18

I'm hoping to get to the London show next Feb - sounds like a pretty amazing experience.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 14 Sep 2009, 20:38

I tried with this album, I really did. I've come to the conclusion that it's not for me even though I tend to like these sort of LP's. I'm glad you had a wonderful evening and it almost makes me want to sit through Wizard once again.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 14 Sep 2009, 21:06

Sir John San Juan wrote:
I've seen him pull all kinds of crap over the years
:lol:

this great review is even greater since I can tell it was written by a true Todd Rundgren fan!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Sep 2009, 23:37

Toddammit. He played here (well, in Maryland - but a GREAT venue) a few nights ago, and I didn't find out about it 'til the day before, and there was no way I could get out of work to go. Dammit, dammit, dammit. :(

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Sep 2009, 23:38

Sounds like an awesome show. I adore Wizard.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 15 Sep 2009, 01:14

Goat Boy wrote:Sounds like an awesome show. I adore Wizard.

That's THE Todd album, in my opinion. I have no doubt that its somewhat insular nature (and indeed his) makes it a hard sell for many, but...when you like it, you tend to love it.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 15 Sep 2009, 01:41

I was not always a Todd Rundgren fan. I had only heard the basic stuff. Once, a friend told me that I would really like Wizard. A few years later, I heard it once and instantly knew how right she was. It's the kind of album that was made for my outlook and aesthetic. It didn't take much effort at all.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Sep 2009, 11:35

Sir John San Juan wrote:

That's THE Todd album, in my opinion. I have no doubt that its somewhat insular nature (and indeed his) makes it a hard sell for many, but...when you like it, you tend to love it.

Wizard is when Todd turns really insular I think. It didn't take that long for me to fall in love with this album and I dig ALL of it basically. The first side is incredible...so much music compressed into the grooves. I fucking adore this shit! It contains at least 4 of his very best songs imo - Zen Archer, Sometimes I Don't Know What To Feel (masterpiece), I Don't Want To Tie You Down and Just One Victory (production is incredible on this track especially). The cosmic soul medley is one of the best things he's ever done as well.

He's playing London, right? :?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 15 Sep 2009, 16:14

Yes but I saw him rap on the No World Order tour, which frankly wasn't that great. I'd seen him live with piano and IIRC with Utopia.

I'm not a huge fan of AWATS; I prefer S/A, or Todd or Hermit or Healing, but maybe I should play it again. ooh it's on Spotify... here goes then. International Feel. Yes...

So what songs did Utopia play? Edit - I've found out....

Utopia Set: Staring- Roger Powell, Kasim Sulton, Todd Rundgren & Prarie Prince

1-Road To Utopia
2-Abandon City
3-Back On The Steet
4-Hammer In My Heart
5-Trapped
6-The Ikon
7-Caravan
8-The Last Of The New Wave Riders A Wizard A True Star Set List

Staring :Todd Rundgren,Kasim Sulton, Rodger Powell,Jesse Gress,Prarie Prince, Bobby Strickland& Greg Hawkes ( Michelle Rundgren on Todds wadrobe co-ordinator and vocals on JOV)

1-International Feel
2-Never Never Land
3-Tic Tic Tic It Wears Off
4-You Need Your Head
5-Rock & Roll Pussy
6-Dogfight Giggle
7-You Dont Have To Come Around
8-Flamingo
9-Zen Archer (Jesse & Bobby Strickland jam - call and response/back and forth)
10-Just Another Onionhead/ Dolly Dont Cry
11-Sometimes I Dont Know ( out of order from album to build momentum)
12-Does Any Body Love You (Sang by Kasim) (Le Internationale Feel skipped till end)
13-Meledy: Im So Proud- Ohh Ohh Baby Baby (I cried) - La La La Means I Love You/Cool Jerk
14- Im Hungry For Love
15- I Dont Want To Tie You Down ( I just broke up with my fiance' -I cried again- both nites)
16-Is It My Name ( Glitter Todd- Holy Shit-now I can die)
17-When The Shit Hits The Fan ( Fool GTR through out this show) OMG!!
18-Le Feel Internationale ( Utopia is here, again!!)
Encore:
19-Just One Victory

I'm getting tempted.
“Erratic associate member”

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 05 Dec 2009, 20:32

Balboa wrote:I'm hoping to get to the London show next Feb - sounds like a pretty amazing experience.

FUCKING GO!

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 05 Dec 2009, 20:35

Goat Boy wrote:
Sir John San Juan wrote:

Wizard is when Todd turns really insular I think. It didn't take that long for me to fall in love with this album and I dig ALL of it basically. The first side is incredible...so much music compressed into the grooves. I fucking adore this shit! It contains at least 4 of his very best songs imo - Zen Archer, Sometimes I Don't Know What To Feel (masterpiece), I Don't Want To Tie You Down and Just One Victory (production is incredible on this track especially). The cosmic soul medley is one of the best things he's ever done as well.

He's playing London, right? :?

FUCKING GO!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 05 Dec 2009, 22:29

Yeah, what he said.

The opening set in LA was not Utopia - it was Todd Rundgren's Johnson, with Kasim Sulton, Prairie Prince and Jesse Gress, doing the blues for an hour, many but not all of them songs by Robert Johnson. I found it kind of meh - studio guys playing the blues, accurate and competent but there are old black guys in South Central BBQ joints doing it better on any given Friday night.

Man, some of the Todd Is God types were frothing at the mouth angry about it during the intermission. It certainly wasn't what people expected. They were hoping for a Utopia set like earlier in the tour. I had no idea what to expect so it wasn't a huge disappointment.

But the Wizard set was very fine indeed. Instead of Roger Powell on keyboards, we had Ralph Schattuck, who played on the original LP, and was absolutely incredible to watch. The costume changes were very effective, as was the minimal staging. I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to this LP but I was highly impressed with their ability to recreate those baffling arrangements. It's hard to imagine how it could have been done any better.

The only encore was the performance of Just One Victory but it seemed like a good, complete show.

I'd highly recommend it.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

madmanman

Postby madmanman » 06 Dec 2009, 04:46

He seems to be throwing the fans a lot of curve balls these days. I saw him last year and it was just the main 4 guys, no keyboards, no synths, no horns, no back up singers, no costumes, no ballads, just a full blown arena style show. Crank it up and blow the roof off the dump. All in an old 400 person capacity union hall here in town. It was great. He's playing like a guy at least 20 years younger.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 05 Feb 2010, 15:10

Looking forward to seeing this show in London tomorrow. Anyone else attending?
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 05 Feb 2010, 17:21

I thought about it before he started playing the blues as the opening set. I hope you really enjoy it; he's (nearly) always great live.
“Erratic associate member”

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 05 Feb 2010, 17:27

I wouldn't bet on a blues set to open it.

I mean it's possible but so are a lot of other things.

Defintiely one to make if there's any way to do it.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 05 Feb 2010, 17:39

kath, weeping, shoots nerf arrow at passing cat.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Feb 2010, 19:16

The greatest motherfucking gig in the history of the universe!

I will expand later but I can die happy now.

Return to “Yakety Yak”