the Pink Floyd hate thread

Do talk back
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Re: the Pink Floyd hate thread

Postby yomptepi » 05 Mar 2008, 12:23

I like a lot of Pink Floyd records. Not really my sort of thing, but there is something in Dave Gilmores guitar playing that speaks to me. It makes me stop and listen , and just marvel at both the sound and the spirit of what he is playing. I cannot defend it. I just like it. A lot of what they do is nonsense, but Wish you were here and Meddle will always be favourites, and many of their other albums are certainly very good, whether you like them or not. Nothing of any note after wywh, but anything before that is OK with me.

Any comparison with U2 just shitstirring.
You don't like me...do you?

&

Postby & » 05 Mar 2008, 12:35

GoatBoy wrote:Although, that last passage looks like I’m basically saying people with mental health problems like The Floyd. :lol:

I could live with that, but it's not the case.
Middle class people with fairly decent jobs and some pretensions towards being "angsty" like Floyd.
They're merchants of a middle-of-the-road, middle-aged, simplified, awfully patronising version of "isolation" and so forth.
Their records should be burnt without delay.

&

Postby & » 05 Mar 2008, 12:37

And they meant to call that album Middle but they were too fucked up to splel.

Doctor Jimmy
Continental Fuckwit

Postby Doctor Jimmy » 05 Mar 2008, 12:39

angshu wrote:And they meant to call that album Middle but they were too fucked up to splel.

Same thing happened to The Mall.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 05 Mar 2008, 12:40

angshu wrote:
GoatBoy wrote:Although, that last passage looks like I’m basically saying people with mental health problems like The Floyd. :lol:

I could live with that, but it's not the case.
Middle class people with fairly decent jobs and some pretensions towards being "angsty" like Floyd.
They're merchants of a middle-of-the-road, middle-aged, simplified, awfully patronising version of "isolation" and so forth.
Their records should be burnt without delay.

stupidest post ever.

&

Postby & » 05 Mar 2008, 12:44

True though.
Dull music for dull people.
The Clash were way better.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 05 Mar 2008, 12:45

angshu wrote:True though.
Dull music for dull people.
The Clash were way better.

You didn't say dull tho , did you?

You made it a class issue. That is just rubbish.

&

Postby & » 05 Mar 2008, 12:48

I used "middle class" because of its connotations of placidity, regularity, monotony and so on. Not meaning folks of a certain background or income bracket.

&

Postby & » 05 Mar 2008, 12:48

...and the fact that real people can't stand 'em.

Jon K

Postby Jon K » 05 Mar 2008, 12:51

Well like a great many Floyd fans I love the middle classic period(Meddlethrough to the Wall) and before that I tend to cherry pick. After the Wall I absolutely hate The Final Cut. That album should have been a Roger Waters solo album but I do like the post Waters Floyd albums. I do of course realise that I will no doubt be pilloried for saying that but hey they are only records and a lot of people like them. That doesn't necessarily mean they are stunning works of art but they are enjoyable albums. Anyway I can't see why anyone would hate or despise a band for their music. If you don't like them then don't listen to them; seems obvious to me :D

&

Postby & » 05 Mar 2008, 12:53

I don't listen to them, but they soundtracked every college party once upon a time.
I specially get annoyed with the literal minded sound effects - like the bell dividing the time signature in... WAIT FOR IT... The Division Bell.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 05 Mar 2008, 12:54

I'd just like to spend nop more than 30 seconds of my life saying that this thread is an example par excellence of why people say this place BCB and the internet in genral are so less appealing.

A fuckwit writes ''Band xxxxxx is dull I hate them'

ANother fuckwit chimes in with 'ooooooh you are so right! Shit shit shit - read my opinion, it's based entire;ly on my own personal prejudices'

The whole devoid of any reference to the music and why it might appeal to anyone, what its influence has been, etc.

Bye now
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 05 Mar 2008, 12:55

Jon K wrote:Well like a great many Floyd fans I love the middle classic period(Meddlethrough to the Wall) and before that I tend to cherry pick. After the Wall I absolutely hate The Final Cut. That album should have been a Roger Waters solo album but I do like the post Waters Floyd albums. I do of course realise that I will no doubt be pilloried for saying that but hey they are only records and a lot of people like them. That doesn't necessarily mean they are stunning works of art but they are enjoyable albums. Anyway I can't see why anyone would hate or despise a band for their music. If you don't like them then don't listen to them; seems obvious to me :D

Wise words at last (apart from the Final Cut bit)
I run out of talent

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 05 Mar 2008, 12:56

I like a lot of music that's fun-kay and full of hip hop hooray jump-about liveliness. I also like a lot of music that's cool, quiet, contemplative, cerebral and sad (in the original sense of the word). I listen to the Floyd when I'm in the mood for the latter.

I think there are some very shortsighted and prejudiced dismissals of them on here. I'm a lower middle class chap with a decent job, but does that mean I'm not entitled to feel real 'angst', for want of a better word ?

It seems to me that Roger Waters has always been as 'truthful' and 'authentic' in his music as Otis Redding and Aretha. Floyd's music may well be pretty much monochrome in its themes and styles, but I don't find it any less emotionally affecting for that. In fact Comfortably Numb affects me emotionally as much as anything by any soul singer you could name.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

&

Postby & » 05 Mar 2008, 12:57

LMG wrote:The whole devoid of any reference to the music and why it might appeal to anyone, what its influence has been

Yes, I really must start listening to some "important" stuff.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 05 Mar 2008, 12:59

LMG wrote:I'd just like to spend nop more than 30 seconds of my life saying that this thread is an example par excellence of why people say this place BCB and the internet in genral are so less appealing.

A fuckwit writes ''Band xxxxxx is dull I hate them'

ANother fuckwit chimes in with 'ooooooh you are so right! Shit shit shit - read my opinion, it's based entire;ly on my own personal prejudices'

The whole devoid of any reference to the music and why it might appeal to anyone, what its influence has been, etc.

Bye now

It's certainly why I don't say much here any more.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

&

Postby & » 05 Mar 2008, 13:00

Nick wrote:I like a lot of music that's fun-kay and full of hip hop hooray jump-about liveliness. I also like a lot of music that's cool, quiet, contemplative, cerebral and sad (in the original sense of the word). I listen to the Floyd when I'm in the mood for the latter.

I think there are some very shortsighted and prejudiced dismissals of them on here. I'm a lower middle class chap with a decent job, but does that mean I'm not entitled to feel real 'angst', for want of a better word ?

It seems to me that Roger Waters has always been as 'truthful' and 'authentic' in his music as Otis Redding and Aretha. Floyd's music may well be pretty much monochrome in its themes and styles, but I don't find it any less emotionally affecting for that. In fact Comfortably Numb affects me emotionally as much as anything by any soul singer you could name.

I don't deny their honesty or something.
I just don't like the music because, well, it doesn't move me.
And one mustn't take my sweeping generalisations to heart. ;)
Last edited by & on 05 Mar 2008, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Mar 2008, 13:01

angshu wrote:I don't listen to them, but they soundtracked every college party once upon a time.
I specially get annoyed with the literal minded sound effects - like the bell dividing the time signature in... WAIT FOR IT... The Division Bell.

Or the clocks on Time! The songs called Time so WE MUST HAVE CLOCKS. Money? “Lets have a cash register Roger. Hmmm that sounds like a good idea Dave”. Compare the Floyds use of sound affects on DSOTM to the ever slightly more deranged coda of Bike with it’s quacking duck for example. One is cool, the other is sad.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 05 Mar 2008, 13:09

I'm grateful for Syd Barrett. Predominantly for "Madcap" and because he lost it and with that managed to instill a valuable sense of guilt in the Floydians. The result is the truly majestic album Wish You Were Here, which is for me the best album they've ever done. Shine... is a certified, undisputable Classic. Even if I'd have to listen to it every day for the rest of my life it wouldn't bore me. It's an artistic and emotional masterpiece with magnificant soundscapes that better anything in the genre. It's not only brilliant, it's also a very gutsy production, as they chose not to make a Dark Side II. It went downhill from there, although Animals still has touches of brilliance.

Having said that, I never forget seeing Nick Mason on Letterman a couple of years ago talking about his collection of classic cars. He appeared so far remote from his drumming days that for the life of me I couldn't imagine that he ever did anything artistic, other than doing the birdy dance at his daughter's wedding. That disturbed me: he played music that really touched me and he simply didn't seem to give a fuck about it.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

&

Postby & » 05 Mar 2008, 13:20

mudshark wrote:Having said that, I never forget seeing Nick Mason on Letterman a couple of years ago talking about his collection of classic cars. He appeared so far remote from his drumming days that for the life of me I couldn't imagine that he ever did anything artistic, other than doing the birdy dance at his daughter's wedding. That disturbed me: he played music that really touched me and he simply didn't seem to give a fuck about it.

I feel much the same way about Ringo.

Return to “Yakety Yak”