Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jul 2018, 04:40

Day 1 Fuji Rock highlight. The Tesky Bros.

N.E.R.D. = T.U.R.D.
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jul 2018, 16:24

Fuji Rock day 2.

Best - Maximum The Hormone.
Honorable mention - Johnny Marr.

Worst - Shmendrick Lamar.
Question authority.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Jul 2018, 16:32

MOTHERFUCKERS HAVE BEEN TO SEE MY BLOODY VALENTINE AND SWEETHEART OF THE RODEO WITH MARTY STUARTS BAND AND AIN'T NOBODY SAID SHIT
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 28 Jul 2018, 16:52

Honestly, I go to a lot of fucking gigs these days, Baron.

I'll tell you all about Dionne Warwick at the Elk Grove Village Green if you don't cool off.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Jul 2018, 17:58

:D

I was a little intemperate.

:oops:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 29 Jul 2018, 14:30

[flash=][/flash]
LeBaron wrote:MOTHERFUCKERS HAVE BEEN TO SEE MY BLOODY VALENTINE AND SWEETHEART OF THE RODEO WITH MARTY STUARTS BAND AND AIN'T NOBODY SAID SHIT

Going to see my bloody valentine Wednesday and sweetheart of the rodeo tour in sept. :P

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 29 Jul 2018, 18:22

Day 3

Dylan was aces. Also were Green Sky Blue Grass. Jack Johnson was pleasant enough.
Question authority.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 29 Jul 2018, 21:40

Folk On The Tyne last night.
The Wilson, The Young 'Uns and The Unthanks

Smashing.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 30 Jul 2018, 09:38

All in all Fuji Rock 2018 was a good musically but man, this was a chore. All the trudging, the schlepping and putting on and taking off gear, the rain - a typhoon, actually - the long lines at the potties, the lines at the food booths, the guy standing and blocking my view, the guy staking a ground sheet and not sitting there, the talking guy, the heat, the cold, the wind, the sun, my "Do you still have your wallet?" wife, the getting there, the coming home, and worst of all was having a grump like me inside me! Jesus, I gotta learn to relax.

But five days and four nights away I'm now back home and able to type with a proper keyboard. My legs are sore as shit but I'm still in one piece.

I loved the Bob Dylan and His Band show. I never saw him before and thought he'd fuck up his classic songs' arrangements and he did - wonderfully! He played no guitar only piano, his style, my wife whispered, was "Heta," not very good. (He did hit a couple of clunkers.) His voice was the whiny Dylan of old with no crooning. While other acts had light shows, background videos, fireworks and lots of swooping cameras aimed to show on the jumbo screens Dylan had just one camera aimed at him. No "Hello Japan!" or even a "Thank you," not a word that wasn't sung. He just wanted let the music be the event, not the spectacle. Very low key, very 60s, which is how I like my concerts.
Question authority.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 07 Aug 2018, 02:16

Phoenix - Brooklyn Steel - Funny show, Phoenix set was new album heavy but they always have a happy bouncy crowd and kept the crowd up all show. Thomas Mars walked thru the crowd several times and is always on the move, maybe because he is married to Sofia Coppola :D, here he is answering a
Telephone Call

David Byrne - Panorama Festival Randalls Island, NY - David played an early set making the crowd empty on the side. David played a stripped stage. He made all members carry their instruments almost like a marching band with guitars and keyboards. Nice set of new and old TH songs.

is this a rock is dead (down to only a keyboard) comment from Byrne?

The Killers Panorama - caught a few other acts (Fleet Foxes, The XX) and only stayed around for about half of their set. Sat on the grass away from the stage for most of it Did walk up to the front for a picture, long way from seeing them play a private party,

My Bloody Valentine @ Hammerstein Ballroom NYC - Never disappoint even in an awful venue. Played two new songs but wouldn't hold your breathe for an album although they say its coming.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 19 Aug 2018, 00:51

bump
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 24 Sep 2018, 16:27

Neil Young & The Promise of the Real
Neil thinks he is still 30.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Oct 2018, 03:22

We went to see Killing Joke a couple of weeks ago at a smallish venue - around 800. I had never seen them before and didn't really know what to expect live. I was also worried that it would be rather top heavy with newer material, which I don't care for at all. I'm glad to report they were really on form - menacing and funky - and that I had my first go in an American mosh pit and lived to tell the tale. I only went down a couple of times and was lifted up by people who looked at least thirty years my junior. :lol:

On Friday, we saw Paul McCartney at ACL. He was the only thing we bought tickets for - I recognised only about four other names from whole weekend. I don't have much to say about his performance as such, which was enjoyable but still lacking in that something that totally does it for Baron. I am really glad I saw him, and it was really poignant to see him a little slowed, but he had a whale of a time and the band was tight.

Regular readers may remember that I don't really care much for The Beatles and that still holds true. By that, I mean that I have never been moved by them - I like their songs well enough and I can see great musicians for what they are and great songwriting for what it is and all that, but something has never "clicked" in me about them the way that so many other acts have. And it's odd, because I grew up listening to them as much as any other rampaging icons (Stones, Bowie, Who, Floyd) but they never settled into my brain. During the McCartney show I really enjoyed some of the Wings stuff and started reading about the making of Band on the Run, and just holding Baron's copy and looking at it all, and then played it and went head over heels nutso for it. I mean head over fucking heels. I immediately "got it". I was hearing not just the album, but seeing the studio, feeling the stories, listening to all the instruments on their own and feeling very transported back to an event as opposed to just listening to an album. This happens to me every so often from time to time, I'll get an album (usually something I have never heard in its entirety or something new) and I cant stop listening. (Hitchcock's" Eye", Moondog's "German Years" ) If you had told me that this would be the year I would understand Wings, I would have laughed at you. But fucking hell, what an album. I just love it. The piano on Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five sets me alight. Mental.

Anyway I think the husband is quite pleased. Let's see how far down the Wings rabbit hole I go...
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 10 Oct 2018, 14:53

Back from Asagiri Jam, the autumn version of Fuji Rock. I already said what I thought of Yo La Tengo but the second night's headliner was John Butler Trio. Butler is a guitar whiz and does Hendrix-style well, but when he tries to be more pop than rock he is just so-so.
Question authority.

TG

Postby TG » 10 Oct 2018, 18:54

Nick?? Dougie?? wrote:We went to see Killing Joke a couple of weeks ago at a smallish venue - around 800. I had never seen them before and didn't really know what to expect live. I was also worried that it would be rather top heavy with newer material, which I don't care for at all. I'm glad to report they were really on form - menacing and funky - and that I had my first go in an American mosh pit and lived to tell the tale. I only went down a couple of times and was lifted up by people who looked at least thirty years my junior. :lol:

On Friday, we saw Paul McCartney at ACL. He was the only thing we bought tickets for - I recognised only about four other names from whole weekend. I don't have much to say about his performance as such, which was enjoyable but still lacking in that something that totally does it for Baron. I am really glad I saw him, and it was really poignant to see him a little slowed, but he had a whale of a time and the band was tight.

Regular readers may remember that I don't really care much for The Beatles and that still holds true. By that, I mean that I have never been moved by them - I like their songs well enough and I can see great musicians for what they are and great songwriting for what it is and all that, but something has never "clicked" in me about them the way that so many other acts have. And it's odd, because I grew up listening to them as much as any other rampaging icons (Stones, Bowie, Who, Floyd) but they never settled into my brain. During the McCartney show I really enjoyed some of the Wings stuff and started reading about the making of Band on the Run, and just holding Baron's copy and looking at it all, and then played it and went head over heels nutso for it. I mean head over fucking heels. I immediately "got it". I was hearing not just the album, but seeing the studio, feeling the stories, listening to all the instruments on their own and feeling very transported back to an event as opposed to just listening to an album. This happens to me every so often from time to time, I'll get an album (usually something I have never heard in its entirety or something new) and I cant stop listening. (Hitchcock's" Eye", Moondog's "German Years" ) If you had told me that this would be the year I would understand Wings, I would have laughed at you. But fucking hell, what an album. I just love it. The piano on Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five sets me alight. Mental.

Anyway I think the husband is quite pleased. Let's see how far down the Wings rabbit hole I go...

Oh, that’s interesting Anna, you have so much to discover. ;)
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Oct 2018, 19:03

:D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 10 Oct 2018, 20:50

Nick?? Dougie?? wrote:We went to see Killing Joke a couple of weeks ago at a smallish venue - around 800. I had never seen them before and didn't really know what to expect live. I was also worried that it would be rather top heavy with newer material, which I don't care for at all. I'm glad to report they were really on form - menacing and funky - and that I had my first go in an American mosh pit and lived to tell the tale. I only went down a couple of times and was lifted up by people who looked at least thirty years my junior. :lol:

You are dead to me.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 10 Oct 2018, 21:07

Jumper K wrote:

You are dead to me.

I can’t believe she’s revealed this whole Killing Joke thing. They’re an absolute disaster.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 19 Oct 2018, 04:35

Nick?? Dougie?? wrote:

nice write up went last year and while I'm a big Beatles fan never cared for Paul solo much except the first two albums. However, enjoyed the whole show.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 19 Oct 2018, 11:04

Nick?? Dougie?? wrote: Let's see how far down the Wings rabbit hole I go...

Have you made any headway down there, squeezing past the little lambs, frogs, dragonflies....

Here's something to get your teeth in to:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... ore-144927
Give a shit or be a shit.

Return to “Yakety Yak”