Not cool enough (#2) - Gary Lewis and the Playboys

Do talk back
Quaco
F R double E

Not cool enough (#2) - Gary Lewis and the Playboys

Postby Quaco » 23 Jan 2007, 19:08

OK, first I have to admit, my story is a little different from Charlie O.'s. While he was letting Gants albums pass him by in his youth, I actually did enjoy listening to a Gary Lewis album or two. But certainly, everybody knows that Gary Lewis isn't cool enough by a long shot, hence his inclusion in this series.

As the son of Jerry Lewis, you would expect this guy to have absolutely no rock and roll credentials* -- and in terms of rock passion, he doesn't let you down. He has none. Still, like the Monkees, somehow between his normal-guy delivery, the songs he chose (or were chosen for him), the kitchen-sink arrangements (some by a young Leon Russell), and just the sound of records at the time, a lot of his stuff really works. For me. When I was 14. But even now. And that's a wonderful thing.

I started with More Golden Greats, his second greatest hits album, which I taped off of take5_d. Songs like "Jill" and "Ice Melts in the Sun" were heavenly to me. Geeky yes, but how cool are we when we are that age anyway? The tympani and harpsichord work (respectively) both add a lot. "Girls in Love" and especially "My Heart's Symphony" were breathtaking productions. And his version of "Lies" totally works for me. It's not harsh, but it's driving. Maybe it's just Charlie O.' syndrome: it's a great song, so why should one expect that any version is going to bad?

Later, I got a couple of his normal (non-hits) records. Listen! was particularly interesting to me, as it was I guess meant to be sort of his Revolver. The songs get stranger, and hearing normal Gary singing them both makes him seem more normal and the songs seem even stranger. "Bring the Whole Family" (a song about a family that obsessively gambles together) is somehow totally wrong for him, but all the weirder for it. It sounds like something Sharon Tate would have listened to. And yet, Lewis excels at wistful teenage stuff like "Young and Carefree", one of his many Beach Boys-type tunes.

I don't know. I don't know if I can keep making the case like Charlie O. did. I just like Gary Lewis. A couple years ago, I picked up some Hullabaloo videos and seeing him host one of the shows proved to me that he (like Peter Noone but unlike say Roger McGuinn) was just a likable guy. He inherited a natural ability to entertain from his father and his upbringing. He does not have a great voice, but for teenage stuff, it's perfect. I find a lot of it more affecting than Pet Sounds, and I love that. I think it's because of this vulnerable, normal-kid quality of his voice, and the fact that he's trying his best and yet somehow isn't trying too hard. And there are a handful of really fabulous singles: "Girls in Love", "Jill", "Save Your Heart for Me", "Green Grass", "My Heart's Symphony", "Tina", and even "This Diamond Ring" and "She's Just My Style". (A word of warning: Hold off on his Kellogg's commercial, "Doin' the Flake", until you're a diehard fan.)

A greatest hits (say, Liberty's Legendary Masters Series Gary Lewis and the Playboys, CDP-7-93449-2) will probably do you, but then you'd miss out on "Young and Carefree" and "Bring the Whole Family" and some others. All I can say is, just keep your mind open and your heart young and Gary Lewis might end up in your record collection. Relax, its OK.

* Soupy Sales's sons, Tony and Hunt, however were able to truly rock, and I'm not sure what the difference was, except that they were players (bass and drums, respectively) and were coming of age in the Seventies, while Gary was a bit older and trying to be a singing star in the Sixties.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 23 Jan 2007, 19:21

A couple years ago, I picked up some Hullabaloo videos and seeing him host one of the shows proved to me that he (like Peter Noone but unlike say Roger McGuinn) was just a likable guy.

Having spent several weeks around him once (he was rehearsing a production of "Grease" while I was working on a different play in the same theater complex), I can tell you that he wasn't all that likable.

His music was fine. I tend to like most of the disposable pop from that era well enough. But the Playboys are low on the list of acts from that time that I'd want to delve into any further.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: Not cool enough (#2) - Gary Lewis and the Playboys

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 Jan 2007, 19:21

Quaco wrote:I don't know. I don't know if I can keep making the case like Charlie O. did. I just like Gary Lewis.

I like him too.

I've got a "Doin' the Flake" picture sleeve single! :D

But aside from that, I only have the anthology you mention. "Count Me In" is a fantastic song, really top notch.

You're right that he really does come off as a decent sort of guy, so even though his singing voice isn't technically great or especially soulful or anything, he still succeeds.

Do you like Lou Christie, Quaco?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 23 Jan 2007, 19:29

Snarfyguy wrote:You're right that he really does come off as a decent sort of guy, so even though his singing voice isn't technically great or especially soulful or anything, he still succeeds.

Well, from what Davey has just said, maybe that's part of the magic of the medium of recording rather than a reality. Or maybe he changed over the years or sonmething. Still, it feels nice to hear him sing.

I don't know his stuff.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 Jan 2007, 19:39

Quaco wrote:

I don't know his stuff.

I think you would like it. Grab a comp if you see one cheap. Or I can do you one in a few weeks.

Interetsing comments from Davey. Lewis certainly comes off as a regular guy on his recordings...
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 23 Jan 2007, 19:43

A lot of the session players (and some of the road group) were Leon Russell's Oklahoma homies. No surprise, then, that the records sounded great.

They also drew from some ace (professional) songwriters.

My favorite, by leagues, "Just My Style," as great a Beach Boys pastiche as ever existed without (so far as I know) any Beach Boys participation. Except that possibly some of the same musicians played for both groups, of course.

Warning: the Hoffman forum is a hotbed of Gary Lewis fans. Your ultimate resource if you want info in mono-stereo, non-album b sides and the like.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

madmanman

Postby madmanman » 30 Jan 2007, 02:24

As I remember 'This Diamond Ring' was an Al Kooper song and Kooper was not real happy with the Playboys cover of his song. Not sure if, or how Kooper would have done it, but Lewis' version always struck me as pleasantly harmless stuff.

How many bands would have been brave enough to take publicity photos with an accordian prominently displayed? A lost art in rock and roll for sure. Who's carrying the torch? Judy Tenuta?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 30 Jan 2007, 16:25

Kooper and his co-writers had The Drifters in mind when they wrote "This Diamond Ring" - which is pretty easy to imagine, really. One can understand them being non-plussed by Lewis' whiter-than-white take on it; they were happy enough when it went to #1, though!

TG

Postby TG » 30 Jan 2007, 16:38

They are also the band to turn to for some of the most (sometimes charmingly) inept and stiff covers of songs like Proud Mary, For Your Love, C.C. Rider (which Lewis and Snuff Garrett took an "adapted by" credit for on a version that sounds oddly like every other version of C.C. Rider), Travelin' Man and Runaway.

I have a couple of Lweis/Playboys LPs that I found in thrift stores that have come out exactly twice. Once when Quaco and I discussed them at a Jolly Up and once just now. I really should get rid of them.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 30 Jan 2007, 17:55

TG wrote:They are also the band to turn to for some of the most (sometimes charmingly) inept and stiff covers of songs like Proud Mary, For Your Love, C.C. Rider (which Lewis and Snuff Garrett took an "adapted by" credit for on a version that sounds oddly like every other version of C.C. Rider), Travelin' Man and Runaway.

I have a couple of Lweis/Playboys LPs that I found in thrift stores that have come out exactly twice. Once when Quaco and I discussed them at a Jolly Up and once just now. I really should get rid of them.

:D

(Which ones are they? I might take 'em.)

TG

Postby TG » 30 Jan 2007, 18:34

Quaco wrote:
TG wrote:They are also the band to turn to for some of the most (sometimes charmingly) inept and stiff covers of songs like Proud Mary, For Your Love, C.C. Rider (which Lewis and Snuff Garrett took an "adapted by" credit for on a version that sounds oddly like every other version of C.C. Rider), Travelin' Man and Runaway.

:D

(Which ones are they? I might take 'em.)

Gary Lewis & the Playboys - same
Gary Lewis & the Playboys - A Session With

Both in better than average thrift store condition. Pretty clean, actually. You are welcome to 'em. You know how to find me.

tg
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 30 Jan 2007, 20:12

TG wrote:Gary Lewis & the Playboys - same

I have one that might be this one. Mine starts with "Rhythm of the Rain"? Is that the one you're talking about?

And this is one of the few albums I have two of! Not intentionally, I just forgot I had it. Shows how much I listen to it, I guess...

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 30 Jan 2007, 20:50

One of the "road" Playboys is her father, bless him!

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

TG

Postby TG » 30 Jan 2007, 21:14

Quaco wrote:

I have one that might be this one. Mine starts with "Rhythm of the Rain"? Is that the one you're talking about?

And this is one of the few albums I have two of! Not intentionally, I just forgot I had it. Shows how much I listen to it, I guess...

The very two and the same. I suppose I'll hang onto them a little longer.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 30 Jan 2007, 21:20

TG wrote:
Quaco wrote:

The very two and the same. I suppose I'll hang onto them a little longer.

Until we talk about them at the next jolly-up...

DougR

Postby DougR » 31 Jan 2007, 03:46

Quaco wrote:Image

OK, first I have to admit, my story is a little different from Charlie O.'s. While he was letting Gants albums pass him by in his youth, I actually did enjoy listening to a Gary Lewis album or two. But certainly, everybody knows that Gary Lewis isn't cool enough by a long shot, hence his inclusion in this series.

As the son of Jerry Lewis, you would expect this guy to have absolutely no rock and roll credentials* -- and in terms of rock passion, he doesn't let you down. He has none. Still, like the Monkees, somehow between his normal-guy delivery, the songs he chose (or were chosen for him), the kitchen-sink arrangements (some by a young Leon Russell), and just the sound of records at the time, a lot of his stuff really works. For me. When I was 14. But even now. And that's a wonderful thing.

I started with More Golden Greats, his second greatest hits album, which I taped off of take5_d. Songs like "Jill" and "Ice Melts in the Sun" were heavenly to me. Geeky yes, but how cool are we when we are that age anyway? The tympani and harpsichord work (respectively) both add a lot. "Girls in Love" and especially "My Heart's Symphony" were breathtaking productions. And his version of "Lies" totally works for me. It's not harsh, but it's driving. Maybe it's just Charlie O.' syndrome: it's a great song, so why should one expect that any version is going to bad?

Later, I got a couple of his normal (non-hits) records. Listen! was particularly interesting to me, as it was I guess meant to be sort of his Revolver. The songs get stranger, and hearing normal Gary singing them both makes him seem more normal and the songs seem even stranger. "Bring the Whole Family" (a song about a family that obsessively gambles together) is somehow totally wrong for him, but all the weirder for it. It sounds like something Sharon Tate would have listened to. And yet, Lewis excels at wistful teenage stuff like "Young and Carefree", one of his many Beach Boys-type tunes.

I don't know. I don't know if I can keep making the case like Charlie O. did. I just like Gary Lewis. A couple years ago, I picked up some Hullabaloo videos and seeing him host one of the shows proved to me that he (like Peter Noone but unlike say Roger McGuinn) was just a likable guy. He inherited a natural ability to entertain from his father and his upbringing. He does not have a great voice, but for teenage stuff, it's perfect. I find a lot of it more affecting than Pet Sounds, and I love that. I think it's because of this vulnerable, normal-kid quality of his voice, and the fact that he's trying his best and yet somehow isn't trying too hard. And there are a handful of really fabulous singles: "Girls in Love", "Jill", "Save Your Heart for Me", "Green Grass", "My Heart's Symphony", "Tina", and even "This Diamond Ring" and "She's Just My Style". (A word of warning: Hold off on his Kellogg's commercial, "Doin' the Flake", until you're a diehard fan.)

A greatest hits (say, Liberty's Legendary Masters Series Gary Lewis and the Playboys, CDP-7-93449-2) will probably do you, but then you'd miss out on "Young and Carefree" and "Bring the Whole Family" and some others. All I can say is, just keep your mind open and your heart young and Gary Lewis might end up in your record collection. Relax, its OK.

* Soupy Sales's sons, Tony and Hunt, however were able to truly rock, and I'm not sure what the difference was, except that they were players (bass and drums, respectively) and were coming of age in the Seventies, while Gary was a bit older and trying to be a singing star in the Sixties.

I saw Gary Lewis and the Playboys quite recently. Where do you ask? Why my dad's fund raiser of course! They were actually pretty sharp. They played like a really passionate bar band made up of guys in their 60's. Their set consisted of a few originals and covers of an assortment of Beatles songs and 60's hits. I really have no interest in hearing them again but I can understand why people would have enjoyed their tunes at the time.

&

Postby & » 31 May 2008, 19:41

Bump.

So what should the next band in this series be?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 31 May 2008, 21:00

DougR wrote:Their set consisted of a few originals and covers of an assortment of Beatles songs and 60's hits.

It really disappoints me when I see an older band and they play lots of covers they weren't known for.

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 31 May 2008, 21:27

Quaco wrote:And his version of "Lies" totally works

That isn't The Knickerbockers' Lies by any chance, is it?
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

Return to “Yakety Yak”