Surprising credits

Do talk back
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 05 Aug 2007, 19:14

of course, the few i can think of are crusty, barnacular entries.

peter gabriel on flute, on cat stevens's's mona bone jakon album.

toni teneille, singing back-up on pink floyd's the wall.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 05 Aug 2007, 20:01

God credited as inspiring a lot of rap albums.

atomic loonybin
ready for the house

Postby atomic loonybin » 05 Aug 2007, 21:12

Isn't there a Charlie Drake* single with all sorts of strange people on it. Fripp, Gabriel, Keith Tippett, Percy Jones and Phil Collins.

And of course that noted blues slide guitarist Johnny Depp plays on Be Here Now

* For the benefit of our US viewers, he was a sort of childish British comedian of the sixties and seventies.

the hesitant weasel

Postby the hesitant weasel » 05 Aug 2007, 21:53

Hardly a misprint,but an ex wife of mine once proffered a copy of 'The Joshua Tree' CD and come out with the immortal line;

"Right I know which ones Bono, and The Edge but who's Lap Steel??" :roll:
' Tweaking the nose of pomposity since 1964'

my blog site: http://thequestforthegarstonkillerwhale.blogspot.com

The Obliging Fairy
former fairy

Postby The Obliging Fairy » 06 Aug 2007, 00:35

A couple of gob irons, one for the Weasel;

features Robert Plant on harmonica

has Andy Partridge on harmonica
my attention span, or thereabouts

The Obliging Fairy
former fairy

Postby The Obliging Fairy » 06 Aug 2007, 00:43

Oh yeah, and this 12" single by New Model Army

Comes with a free poster with specifications for an atomic explosive device, how to build one and everything. Thanked for his expertise at the bottom of the poster is one Stephin Merritt. :shock:

The Magnetic Fields guy? Whoah.
my attention span, or thereabouts

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 06 Aug 2007, 01:51

My friend Chris has an interest in the "Bosstown Sound" bands from the late 60s. He played me a CD-R of this sub-mediocre psych album from 1969, tangentally connected to the Boston scene.

The drummer is pre-National Lampoon/ Saturday Night Live Chevy Chase!
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Aug 2007, 04:48

king feeb wrote:My friend Chris has an interest in the "Bosstown Sound" bands from the late 60s. He played me a CD-R of this sub-mediocre psych album from 1969, tangentally connected to the Boston scene.

That's creepy - I just got that album about a month ago, and have been listening obsessively to it ever since! (I'll admit I wasn't that thrilled by it on first listen, but it really did grow on me.) I'm nearly done "remastering" my own CD-R of it.

I'm even planning to do a thread on it... as soon as I can think of something interesting to actually say about it. :oops:

Incidentally, another member of the band, Tony Scheuren, eventually went on to do stuff for National Lampoon - some might recall his dead-on parodies of Neil Young ("Southern California Brings Me Down") and James Taylor ("Methadone Maintanence Man")...

Sea Of Tunes

Postby Sea Of Tunes » 06 Aug 2007, 08:27

Steve Albini did the most recent Joanna Newsom album, Ys.
No matter what you think of her voice, the production and arrangements are flawless.

king feeb

Postby king feeb » 06 Aug 2007, 08:54

Charlie O. wrote:
king feeb wrote:My friend Chris has an interest in the "Bosstown Sound" bands from the late 60s. He played me a CD-R of this sub-mediocre psych album from 1969, tangentally connected to the Boston scene.

That's creepy - I just got that album about a month ago, and have been listening obsessively to it ever since! (I'll admit I wasn't that thrilled by it on first listen, but it really did grow on me.) I'm nearly done "remastering" my own CD-R of it.

I'm even planning to do a thread on it... as soon as I can think of something interesting to actually say about it. :oops:

Incidentally, another member of the band, Tony Scheuren, eventually went on to do stuff for National Lampoon - some might recall his dead-on parodies of Neil Young ("Southern California Brings Me Down") and James Taylor ("Methadone Maintanence Man")...

I guess it wasn't really so bad. It suffered in comparison to the other two "Bosstown" albums we played: Earth Opera (real good blues-rock trio) and Orpheus (nice Association/Millennium-type pop band).

Sea Of Tunes

Postby Sea Of Tunes » 06 Aug 2007, 09:03

Stewart Levine (he of Culture Club) produced the Beach Boys' 1986 eponymous 'comeback' album. In an underwhelming way.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Aug 2007, 10:53

king feeb wrote:Earth Opera (real good blues-rock trio)

Really? The band Peter Rowan was in? I remember trying to listen to their first album once, and yanking it off before the first side was over - a pretentious, confused mishmash, I thought. (But I could have been wrong. It happens occasionally.)

Orpheus had some real nice stuff. I would put Chamæleon Church in a similar bag... actually, with them I think of the Left Banke. There's nothing as plainly brilliant as "Walk Away Renée" or "Pretty Ballerina" or "She May Call You Up Tonight" on it, but it certainly compares very favorably to The Left Banke Too (which I for one like very much). It's worth spending some time with.

I got into that album via belatedly "discovering" the third Ultimate Spinach album. A thrown-together album, thrown together by a thrown-together band (which included half of Chamæleon Church, as well as a young Jeff "Skunk" Baxter - there, now it's relevant to this thread!), thrown together by the producer to satisfy a record contract; it sounds nothing like the first two Spinach albums (nor Chamæleon Church, for that matter)... and aside from a filler track or two, it's inexplicably pretty damned wonderful! Goes ta show ya never can tell...

king feeb

Postby king feeb » 06 Aug 2007, 13:45

Sorry about hijacking this thread (even though Charlie started the thread in the first place).

I started a separate "Bosstown" thread so that we can examine this stuff. Anyone who knows anything about these bands or has an opinion about them (pro or con) should chime in.

Please resume the regularly scheduled thread...

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 06 Aug 2007, 20:50

Sea Of Tunes wrote:Steve Albini did the most recent Joanna Newsom album, Ys.
No matter what you think of her voice, the production and arrangements are flawless.

Isn't he the prick who thought calling his band Rapeman was a funny jape?

If so he's still an asshole no matter how good a production he does.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 06 Aug 2007, 20:57

king feeb wrote:The drummer is pre-National Lampoon/ Saturday Night Live Chevy Chase!

He was pals with Steely Dan wasn't he? Isn't there a rumour that he played drums in an early version of the band?
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 06 Aug 2007, 21:06

There was a single by a pub rock outfit called The Young & Moody Band, which was marketed on the back of its apparently incongruous guest musicians. The Nolan Sisters (bland MoR Irish singing siblings) supplied guest vocals while whiskery old Lemmy played bass.

JQW

Postby JQW » 07 Aug 2007, 00:55

the masked man wrote:There was a single by a pub rock outfit called The Young & Moody Band, which was marketed on the back of its apparently incongruous guest musicians. The Nolan Sisters (bland MoR Irish singing siblings) supplied guest vocals while whiskery old Lemmy played bass.

Here's a clip:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p1JVfmDyV4g
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 07 Aug 2007, 16:45

Balboa wrote:
king feeb wrote:The drummer is pre-National Lampoon/ Saturday Night Live Chevy Chase!

He was pals with Steely Dan wasn't he? Isn't there a rumour that he played drums in an early version of the band?

In Becker & Fagen's liner notes to the current edition of Can't Buy A Thrill, Chase is one of several people cited as having declined an invitation to join. Loudon Wainwright III is another, which is even stranger to me (I mean, it's not as if they were going to let him write for the group!).

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 07 Aug 2007, 16:47

Kenny G# wrote:Isn't there a Charlie Drake* single with all sorts of strange people on it. Fripp, Gabriel, Keith Tippett, Percy Jones and Phil Collins.

Splish Splash, wasn't it?

Charlie O.

Re: Surprising credits

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Mar 2008, 16:15

Robin Trower co-produced Bryan Ferry's Taxi album!

Well, I'm surprised.

Return to “Yakety Yak”