The Record Collector/Record Owner Survey

Do talk back
robertff

The Record Collector/Record Owner Survey

Postby robertff » 08 Aug 2022, 12:07

Okay, so we might have done something like this before but if we have I can’t remember doing it. Anyway if we have it must have been quite a long time ago, so here goes.

In Record Collector magazine they ask a record collector a series of questions about their collection, which I always find interesting. So, as most of us are collectors, I thought our collections might be of interest to others as well.

Obviously all questions are optional, answer what you feel comfortable with.

Collection refers to physical format only - no CDRs, no home made tapes etc.

1. What do you collect and why?

2. How big is your collection?

3. What do you think it’s worth?

4. How and where do you store it?

5. What’s the rarest/most unusual/most valuable item you have?

6. What elusive gem are you still looking for?

7.What’s given you the biggest thrill record wise?

8.How do you track stuff down?

9. What is/was your favourite record shop?

10. How often do you listen to stuff in your collection?

11. Is their a visual side to collecting for you?

12. Have you ever bought a record for the sleeve alone, or for a picture disc?

13.How will you eventually dispose of your collection?

14.What’s your all time favourite record, regardless of value or rarity?

Last edited by robertff on 08 Aug 2022, 16:24, edited 3 times in total.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: The Record Collector Survey

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Aug 2022, 15:00

I don’t think I really understand what the difference is between ‘having records’ and ‘collecting records.’
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 08 Aug 2022, 15:49

Minnie Cheddars wrote:I don’t think I really understand what the difference is between ‘having records’ and ‘collecting records.’

There's a difference between "owning records" and "wanting more an more and more records", I guess. :P

Anyway, I'll play

Mostly CDs. Recently I've grown particularly interested in what you might call ethno-jazz.
I've been collecting for 50 years and streaming just doesn't do it for me. I need the physical product and the idea of albums.

Too big (3300 LPs, 1000 singles, 10,000 CDs).

Dunno, Discogs says a median value of about 140,000 USD.

I have a big flat and two rooms are filled with racks upon racks of music

45: This Swiss French punk single
33: An original pink-label copy of Five Leaves Left
CD: several dozen beautiful OOP box sets

Nothing in particular right now, with one exception: completing John Zorn's Masada "Books"

Finding something rare or simply nice-to-have for next to nothing on flea markets, in charity shops or at yard sales

Discogs and/or online shops - I try to avoid Amazon.
As I'm not really hunting down particular items, I spend a lot of time in charity shops.

I loved every record shop, especially with large bargain sections, but there's hardly any left at all.

Not nearly enough. I've come to cherish silence more in recent years.
That hasn't kept me from buying and hoarding though.

Yes, and tactile too.

Hundreds of digipaks, because I prefer them to jewel cases.

No idea. Maybe try to sell the whole shebang for 2/3 of the minimum Discogs value.
I used to keep a mental list of people I pictured standing in line to cherry pick stuff after I'm gone. Not very realistic though.

It will always be Abbey Road - the first album I owned!
Last edited by Neige on 08 Aug 2022, 20:59, edited 3 times in total.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

robertff

Postby robertff » 08 Aug 2022, 16:20

Minnie Cheddars wrote:I don’t think I really understand what the difference is between ‘having records’ and ‘collecting records.’

Doesn't really matter Minnie to me they are both the same.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: The Record Collector/Record Owner Survey

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Aug 2022, 16:25

Ah, ok!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 09 Aug 2022, 01:20

Like others, I'm troubled by the term "collect." It seems to mean a weird fixation on something without regard to merit or enjoyment, something you buy compulsively. "I collect freakbeat EPs," or whatever. I buy cds that I'm interested in and records that I'm interested in, though I mostly focus on (vinyl) records from the late 60s through the early 80s, just because that seems most practical and most likely to make me reliably happy. I will say that with discogs, I generally try to go for first pressings in the country of origin, if possible. But there’s no other link connecting, say, a Waylon Jennings record to a Meters record.

I don't know, 2,000 records and maybe 3 or 4 thousand cds? More than most people, not nearly as much as some people.

I don't know. I'd like to catalog it all on discogs for insurance purposes, if nothing else. But I don't have time to trifle with matrix numbers in deadwax for more than four or five records at a time.

Shelves in a spare bedroom that is also where my home office is located. Min had the idea to have purpose built cd shelving built in a closet in that room, which we did during the pandemic. We're going to keep buying cds, but as they become obsolete, decent shelving becomes increasingly hard to find. I take cds out of box sets and store the boxes somewhere else. I gather this is a slightly controversial topic amongst weirdos.

I don't know. I don't have too many things that are super rare/desirable, but I imagine there's a handful of things in there. It's not something I really think about.

I buy most things on discogs, so it's not like I'm crate digging for things. First pressings of Big Star records, and maybe British mono copies of Sgt. Pepper and Piper. That's about all I care about as far as weird fetish items go, and those things are pretty much all too expensive for me to seriously consider. I guess I'm still looking for Candi Staton's Fame LPs.

A friend was an exchange student in the Netherlands in the mid-90s. He sent me a Creation pressing of Loveless with some hash attached to it. It was well received in my dorm room.

Discogs.

Right now it's Antones in Austin. It has a cool old record shop feeling you don't get anymore. Record shops I have loved include Inner Sanctum (RIP), Sound Exchange (RIP), 33 Degrees (RIP), all of Austin. I worked in an interesting shop in San Marcos, Texas from '96 to '01. It had a lot of soul and was a proper hippie record shop experience. It's gone now and the owner died two years ago. There was also a dude who had a stall in an antique mall in San Antonio that I liked. He was mostly into musicals and show tunes and old singers, so his rock and country records were often very reasonable and in great shape.

I also really liked Valley Music in Mill Valley, CA, but I was only there once.

I try to play things every week, but the turntable is downstairs and I often am just as likely to listen to a podcast or a lecture.

I like the look of a nice record cover as much as anyone, I guess.

No.
The record shop where I worked had picture discs hanging from the ceiling, including one with Samantha Fox with her tits out. If I could’ve, I would’ve probably bought that when I was 9 or 10. It’s kind of gross, in retrospect.

I won't. Someone else will. Presumably it will go to my brother to do what he likes or will be up for grabs amongst nieces and nephews, depending on where we are when we meet our demise(s). Hopefully I’ll outlive any interest in my records.

I don't know. Who spends time thinking about this shit? There are too many wonderful records to worry about these things.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 09 Aug 2022, 07:48

Having records - I have a lot of records and I grab what I like. Collecting records - I need three or more copies of the same record because someone remastered/remixed/fucked with it somehow. To each his own.

The stuff I like because I like I it. I

I live alone in a 2 bedroom condo. One room is for music. It has long spilled out it hallways.

To me, my sanity. To my estate, whatever some asshole comes in and low balls my kids because they are not about to move it.

Spare bedroom, kitchen nook, living room. hallway. hallway closet.

Never really thought about it. Rarest/ elusive doesn't equate to most expensive. I have a couple of Jeanne Lee lps that took me forever to find on a private label.

Honestly there is nothing I am actively looking for. I'll know a gem when I see it.

Finding a pile of Flying Nun lps in a record shop in St. Louis. I had flown there for a wedding/funeral/family gathering. My cousin loaned me a car one afternoon and I ran across a cache of records. I paid them to ship them to me.

Like a bloodhound

Too many to remember but the first one that killed me was Co-op Tapes and Records, Springfield, Il.

Every freaking day. I listen to music from when I go to bed. TV is used for sports. And occasional movies.

I dig some you tube stuff, does that count?

Very many for the sleeves, you'd be surprised at what people will buy in cheap fram. No on the picture discs.

Don't care, I'm dead.

No answer would be correct.

Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

robertff

Postby robertff » 09 Aug 2022, 11:19

Just spent ages typing out my answers to the questions and just lost the whole lot - I'll come back to it later. :x

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 09 Aug 2022, 21:01

I buy things that seem interesting.

Five hundred lps, a thousand cds, a hundred-odd singles. I own most physically - I have three or four digital only releases.

Nothing.

In a room we call “the music room”. It is all accessible - nothing in dusty boxes.

I don’t have anything that I know is rare or valuable. I have Damon Albarn’s “Demo-crazy” ep, and Dust to digital’s South East Asian box, both of which may be regarded as unusual.

Original soundtracks vol 1 by Passengers on vinyl. It probably is not very hard to get, I just have not found it.

The Atlantic rhythm and blues 7 double album box set transformed my direction of travel.

I don’t really. I completed my stones and armatrading vinyl sets from ebay.

Steve’s Sounds near Leicester Square.

All the time. I do not own a TV, and although I do sometimes watch things on a tablet, listening is far far more important. When my lad gets on Desert Island Discs he will be able to say “there was always music playing in my house”.

11. Is there a visual side to collecting for you?

A physical side - I like holding the cds or records. But I am happy to buy cheap remasters without the original sleeves.

Yes, I bought the first Julia Fordham album simply because of the cover. It turned out to be really good.

I won’t. My lad will have to take it to the charity shop.

My all time favourite track is Superman by Barbra Streisand. My favourite piece of plastic is the Atlantic box set mentioned above.
Last edited by Limpin' Jez McKenzie on 16 Aug 2022, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

robertff

Postby robertff » 10 Aug 2022, 09:14

Mostly what would be classified as rock and pop from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s tailing off in the 00s, 10s and 20s but still buying the occasional new stuff. Also have blues, a smattering of folk, soul and jazz in my collection. My favourite genre is psychedelia.

Pretty large, approaching if not exceeding 6000 LPs and at least 3000 CDs, never bought singles.

Quite a bit in the current market but all things change don't they?

In a room adjacent to our sitting room, so it's always handy.

The first album by Raw Material.

Any psych records I haven't managed to get hold of yet.

Buying my very first LP, finding a long wanted gem amongst a colection of LPs that someone is selling at a boot fair or the like and selling my cousin's original Bowie The Man Who Sold The World album for £1414.

On the internet mainly.

Dave Radford's Market Square stall in Canterbury, sadly long since closed - I bought huge numbers of records from him.

Every day.

Very much so, I love looking at the cover designs. I have a number of books dedicated to album cover designs.

Yes, can't think what off the top of my head, although Temples' first album immediately comes to mind and it's a great record as well. Don't buy picture discs on the whole but I do have the odd one or two. Conversely there are records I wouldn't buy because of their sleeve design.

I've told my children to sell them through a record auction.

As has already been mentioned it's almost an impossibility to name a single record as a favourite, there are so many great onces out there, but I've always loved the Stones' UK version of Out of Our Heads - first LP I ever purchased, and Aftermath.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 10 Aug 2022, 22:37

Vinyl and cd, every sort of music. Cd most recently, vinyl too expensive, tend to grab bargains only.

700 LPs, 8000 cds - ish - guess

God knows, doubt its insured enough

My "snug" / office / smallest bedroom, also studio for recording demos, basically turntable, desk, vinyl, cds and books. Small room but its all mine.

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie tripe vinyl, 2 copies bought cheap on release, neither played, one still sealed with Tower Records price sticker on front. Also a couple of copies of George Michael Symphonica vinyl, one still sealed. SIgned copy of Metallica Kill Em All signed by Lars and Cliff Burton, £3 in charity shop, 12 years back, thems were the days

anything that is cheap, has a wonderful artwork cover and sounds briliant. Wouldnt mind getting a copy of Hawkwind Space Ritual, a nice original or as near as dammit and for a cheap price, aint gonna happen.

Finding a cheap, mint record or cd in a shop, the thrill never departs. I remember picking up a mint Tumbleweed Connection on vinyl in £1 box, utterly perfect.

secondhand vinyl or cd shops, charity shops seem to have "gone" now for finding cheap quality vinyl

Rock Box, Camberley back in my 20's (1990s) now would be SIster Ray or the shops down Berwick St Soho. Fopp was fave but good prices have now gone from there, huge shame.

Most days, if not cd or vinyl on my ipod classic

definitely

yes

dont know, dont care, go to kids, as long as someone gets to enjoy it

All Things Must Pass or Abbey Road, or Layla or Sticky FIngers, ill plump for George

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Aug 2022, 09:21

I don't any more, but when I did, vinyl up to 1997, CDs and vinyl since, stopped in 2016

No idea any more - I've been selling it off since 2015. At peak, maybe 2,500 12" vinyl, 3,000 7" vinyl, 2,00 CDs. Since got complicated by addition of the collection my partner nherited from her late husband, who was a music journalist, which ran to 20,000 pieces or more altogether

No idea. Accounting not my strong suit.

Used to be on custom-built shelves, but since the addition to the collection, and the move to Taunton, It's now in boxes or on bookshelves in a couple of rooms in the attic, my garden shed, my study, a small room we refer to grandly as The Library which is actually rammed with them, boxes under the bed....

Not sure any more - think I've sold all the really high-ticket items

N/A

dunno

I don't

Tottenham High Cross Record Centre in the 1960s.
Rough Trade Notting Hill in the 1980s.
Revolver at Bristol Bus Station in the 90s and 00s

Nearly never

Not really: although I do prefer some sleeves and labels to others as aesthetic experiences, it doesn't influence

Don't think so - although I have bought some 2nd-hand singles solely on the basis of the information on the label

Been doing it for a while now, through discogs (although I have had to suspend that because of Covid, and am being very slow about starting up again), sales to friends and on-line collectors (hi, Kevin!) and my Devon Buddhist pal, Dave the Disc, who is happy to schlepp them to fairs.

I'll Never Need More Than This by Ike and Tina Turner
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 11 Aug 2022, 13:22

I collect LPs and CDs, I was born in 1969 and received my first cassette player for Christmas of 1977 with a copy of Abba's Arrival, and a K-Tel compilation called Non-Stop Ecstatic Dancing. My late mother always had a turntable and records were regularly played, so I had a love for LP over cassette, they were more of an artifact, more tactile. As I got older, pocket money began to be spent on 7" singles, and the occasional LP. In my teens my parents bought a Sony CD player around 1986, I loved the new technology and quickly embraced it. It bacame the main focus of my collecting for a number of years. In recent years with the kids getting a little older I've started to buy LPs again, the fear of little hands getting on what they shouldn't has subsided, in fact two of them have their own turntables and have started to build their own collections.

Small beer by comparison with much of the parish here, a little over 1000 LPs, and about 3000 CDs. There's also a scattering of 7" singles, DVDs, and Blu-Ray.

According to Discogs it has a median value of approx. €35,000, not that I'd ever see that.

We've been doing renovations at home for the last year, and now my old office, a box bedroom has become my de fato 'Music Room'. I've shelving for all the CDs, most of the vinyl, I ran out of space at Y, so Neil Young and Frank Zappa live in the sitting room beside the other turntable. Aside from the shelving in the Music room, I've a nice chair, 32" TV, bookcase, turntable, CD player and amplifier.

I don't really chase rare or unusual, as for value, some items have grown in value since I bought them, but that's not really of interest as I've no interest in selling them. A collector once contacted me through Discogs and offered me over a hundred quid for a Smiths 12" that cost me three quid back when it was released.

I'm not one for hunting elusive first presses, or particular covers so I've managed to keep somewhat sane in this aspect.

These days some of the unexpected CD finds in local charity shops, where you think 'I'd never of thought anybody around here was interested in this!'

I've occasionally used Discogs but more and more I'm finding the shipping charges making it prohibitive. As I've said above, I'm not necessarily searching for an elusive item so I derive more pleasure from browsing in a secondhand shop, a market stall or a charity shop. My tastes are broad church, and particularly in a charity shop I'm willing to take a punt on most offerings.

I've always loved Freebird Records here in Dublin. It's existed in a number of locations over the years, and so far has managed to hang on. It's a mix of new and secondhand and almost always turns up something of interest when you get to visit. When it was located over the Bus Stop newsagent on Grafton Street back in the 1980s I remember taking a chance on a copy of Rust Never Sleeps, beginning my lifelong love of Neil Young.

Every day, as I buy CDs I rip them to FLAC and I listen to those in the afternoons while I work. I'll sometimes get to listen to an LP in the evening, not always but I'll always try and get some time over the weekends to sit and listen to a couple of LPS while enjoying a cold beer or a glass of something else nice.

Very much so, I've books relating to cover art, and framed posters on the music room wall. Through my own career as an architectural technologist I recognise good design, and admire great photography.

Quite likely, probably because I've seen it posted here over the years.

I won't, I hope I'll get to enjoy it to the end of my days. I've four kids, and two of them would have an interest in music, so hopefully when the time comes they'll divide it up and continue to enjoy it.

Today I'll say The Lemonheads - It's a Shame About Ray, a personal joy from start to finish!

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Aug 2022, 16:57

I suppose mainly jazz these days but I only buy a few albums a year now. I don’t have the desire to shop for music like I used to. I have so much and so little space to store more so it makes sense to either thin the herd for new stuff or stop buying.

A couple thousand lps and same for cds but I don’t count them so who knows.

No idea.

Jazz and classical at the house and rock and country at my practice space off site. My buddy who plays guitar with me built me a large shelf for the practice space aka The Lava Lounge that probably holds 750-800 of those albums. He’s going to build me another one for the house.

Hard to say but some OG Blue Note albums would fit the bill.

Nothing really.

The mono Beatles box was pretty exciting to acquire (lps) but I don’t play them that much tbh.

I don’t really try anymore.

Used to be Tower for most stuff but the Grooveyard in Oakland is/was great for jazz.

Daily.

I love a good cover as much as anyone which is why Lps are so cool.

No.

I suppose I might sell it off if I get too compromised to play it but my brother might get it if he outlives me.

I don’t have a single favorite. Too many to choose from.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 11 Aug 2022, 17:47

I buy LP's (both new and second hand/pre-loved), CD's (mostly second hand but occasionally new), 7" singles (again mostly second hand but occasionally new). A hobby/obsession that's been on the go since I bought my first single back in 1974. I don't 'collect' a particular genre as my tastes are fairly broad.

I buy LP's/CD's because I love music and prefer a physical format to a digital/etherial one. That's not to say I don't have a range of digital music stored up, several 1 and 2TB external drives can testify to that, but as the tagline for the Super Deluxe Edition website says "Holding The Music In Your Hands" is important for me and something that I get a lot of enjoyment out of, not just the listening but the visuals, information, anoraky details.

For a few years I became the dumping ground for friends who were 'getting rid' of their LP's because they had them on CD or were streaming instead.
I picked up a lot of things that I wouldn't have necessarily bought at the time they came out, either through lack of funds or wasn't my taste or on my radar. I have here to thank in part for developing my interest and enjoyment of some types of music that I hadn't explored previously, especially jazz.

Over 6,000 LP's, 4,000 CD's and 3,000 7" I began a 'Listening Project' back at the start of 2014, aiming to play all the LP's I owned in alphabetical order and in order of release for each artist :ugeek: Took about five years to work through the 'collection' as t was but it's an ongoing thing as I pick new albums up. The up side to this was that I kept a spreadsheet of each album so I know what I have, which comes in handy when out and about and I have to check if I already have a copy of such and such and LP before I buy (see above friends offloading their collections - this means I occasionally question if I have something or not). Was toying with doing the same type of thing for my CD's.

Ain't got a clue. I know the value of some of the individual items but collectively I have no idea. A project for when I retire.

We converted the garage into an office and I had most things in there. It got so that it was a bit of a squeeze and things has spilled out in to the spare bedroom. The plan was to get some bespoke record/CD shelving (check out storage porn with https://dustandgrooves.com) but that went by the by. We're now looking at moving so currently 90% of my LP's and 100% of my singles (apart from the ones in my jukebox and the box of Christmas singles that they will be changed with) are being stored in my friends house. The CD's and some box sets are still in the office/music room, in good old Ikea Billy CD towers and bookcases.

I have some NM condition first pressing early Stones albums. I was surprised recently to discover that the Blur singles from 'Think Tank' (Crazy Beat, Good Song and Out Of Time) are going for silly money. They still have their Virgin Records 99p stickers on them.
As someone has already said some of the signed stuff is probably the most valuable to me personally, even if they are not necessarily the most valuable financially

Nothing really. I enjoy having a flick through the bins/racks/big piles of LP's that the charity shops round here have. Happy to find something unusual or that I might have heard of but not actually heard.

Buying singles by The Jam and then The Smiths on the day of release, sometimes getting some of the promo materials from the record shop for each single. I got on well with one of the blokes that worked in a shop in Durham and for each of the Smiths releases I bagged a 12"x24" Rough Trade promo poster, which are themselves sought after

Wandering around charity shops, second hand record shops, couple of local indie shops. Some of the newer purchases over the past few years have come from 'deal alerts' on the Super Deluxe Edition website.

There was one in Newcastle when I started buying a lot of singles in '77/'78 called Pink Lane Records. Now in Liverpool I tend to visit Probe for new stuff, Defend for new/2nd hand and Dig for 2nd hand. For proper bargains my favourite shop is the Roy Castle Cancer Foundation shop with their 'buy one get one free' LP section.

Daily. I worked from home for a few years pre pandemic so I have always had the opportunity to listen as I work.

Yes, it's a lovely thing to see a shelf full of LP spines! I've got a number of album sleeves/single sleeves framed and up on the walls.

I've bought a few in charity shops that have comedy value, see Paddy Roberts - Music For Gay Dogs

We don't have children but there a few nephew's and nieces that are keen to pick over everything. I've started giving them things now as they show an interest in a band/artist, they might as well have them and hopefully enjoy them as much as I have. One niece has already told me that she won't be coming to my funeral but instead will be calling round to the house with a big van to take all the stuff away before anyone else gets their hands on it :D

Kate Bush Lionheart. The back cover is signed "Hi Kevin Love Kate Bush xxx"
Give a shit or be a shit.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 11 Aug 2022, 18:35

Rock pop folk country blues jazz reggae classical opera. Stuff I like. I suppose if there is one area then maybe Bear Family box sets (have about 50)

11,000 CDs 0 vinyl

Lots!

Bespoke shelving in lounge in one bedroom flat plus some crates

A lot of OOP CDs probably £20-£50 range. Nothing obviously mega rare maybe OOP Bear Family sets

Various odds and ends on Discogs wants list. Probably the first Freddie KIng Bear box set

Finding Starsailor and Blue Faternonn dirt cheap on CD many years ago, when both rare. Same with Four Sailnow I think about it.

Discogs

I still miss the LOndon megastores (HMV/Tower/Virgin)

Somtimes all day, others nothing for 2-3 days . no real pattern.

Physical rather than visual. If I have the MP3s I still want the CD or I don't own iit.

Not for picture disc but probably for sleeve. Not just that but the look of it the title/tracklist something that says take a punt. My instincts have served me pretty well.

No idea

Astral Weeks now and always.
We're way past rhubarb

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 12 Aug 2022, 14:39

More a compulsive purchaser than a collector these days. I was a dedicated collector of bands and labels earlier on but have managed to stop obsessing about these things now. We almost

Pretty large. I've just offloaded most of my Cds, Leaving me with about 500.
Vinyl lps around 12500 and 6000 singles. Then there is the memorabilia...

I have a few singles worth shed loads and some rare-ish lps.

At home mainly. Shelving, proper record boxes. In the jukebox, in the loft. Selling stuff is in the garage. Oh and brother in-laws lock up.

My personal tattoo club RFTC single. Not the most valuable though in monetary terms.

I have or have had most of my own personal unicorns but Vicious Visions I Beat You 7" from 1983 would pretty much tip me over the edge.

Getting early US hardcore singles from the States at the time. I used to save up and then contact the band direct by mail and eventually get a 7" sent over.

Record shops, record fairs, boot sales, charity shops and friends and contacts. I only really use the internet for specifics

Acorn in Bristol and Beanos in Croydon. Don't look for them....
Now its Longwell Records in Keynsham.

Every day

Yes.

Sweet Oblivion, you could say I identified with Gary-Lee and Van. Now a lifelong mini-obsession.

My wife will decide. I swill leave her a price guide though. Some will go to my closest friends.

Today it is (I'm) Stranded. But I'm playing Payin The Dues by the Hellacopters next, so that one in about 30 minutes. Really, its Heart Full of Hate by Mud City Manglers

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 12 Aug 2022, 20:25

I dont think of it as collecting. I think of it as buying music that I'm going to play.

Over 2,000 cds. 50 albums and a handful of singles.

no idea

Billy bookcases in the living room

I have a few privately pressed Jackie Leven cds.

nothing in particular

Just being able to walk into a shop knowing I could buy whatever I want.

Don't really, if something comes to mind I would try ebay then Amazon.

Listen Records a chain of shops in Glasgow and a branch in Edinburgh and Paisley. All painted black inside owned by two brothers. I ended up working in Glasgow and Paisley branches, started while I was still at school.

every day

not really

no

Our David can have it

Brain Salad Surgery.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Aug 2022, 21:13

Music! I don't have any specifics really, as long as it's interesting and unique sounding. My purchasing habits have really slowed down in the last few years, I'm not aware of many interesting scenes, there aren't as many great record shops, but my ears are always open.

Tiny compared to everyone else's here, it would seem. Most of it is logged online at RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~DarknessFish. Roughly 2,300 things consisting of CD, vinyl, and a handful of cassettes.

Bugger all. Some bands are very collectable, particularly Coil, and I've got a few things that sell for £50 regularly, but compared to how much I've spent on the stuff, most of it is probably worth more melted down into novelty coasters.

All the vinyl is in Ikea shelving at the side of me right now, CDs are scattered around different rooms. I've got a couple of cabinets that hold 400+ CDs, but they really aren't a great size and shape for storage.

I've got a signed and illustrated wedding card from Current 93's David Tibet, which I guess would be the most likely to sell for a couple of hundred quid. Not like I'd ever get rid of it. He's an establsihed "outsider artist" in that respect, too, he does flog his work at gallery events and stuff. Soem of his art is here: https://www.outsiderart.co.uk/artists/david-tibet

I don't really have a single elusive record anymore, as far as I can recall. The record I hankered after for the longest time was Portion Control's I Staggered Mentally, but when it was finally reissued a few years back, I got a copy, and I'm happy enough with that. I was also after Crescent's Collected Songs for ages, but the singer from Movietone sent it to me for a fiver. Which is kinda underwhelming, price-wise, if it wasn't the fact it came from Kate Wright.
Nowadays, I'm largely after the experimental stuff from the NDW scene, which is remarkably difficult to find, a lot of it has never been reissued.

I guess it's always good to hear something as it's happening, at the time of release. I remember Sigur Ros' Agaetis Byrjun sounding completely unique, and more recently Moor Mother's Fetish Bones clearly signalled the arrival of a major new voice, even though she was surprisingly overlooked at the time.

Track down, or discover? I don't really track down obscurities, it's normally stumbling across stuff in record shops.

Vinyl Exchange in Manchester is still probably the best shop for finding new stuff, loads of cheap CDs with a large experimental section. X-Records in Bloton used to be amazing, but it's kinda depressing now, the shop seems to be overflowing with landfill indie from 1992.

Every day. I mean, there may be items I've not listened to for years, but I can't imagine a day goes by where I don't listen to at least one album.

I've bought many an album on the strength of the cover, without hearing anything by the band. Normally when it's a £2 promo CD or something.

Yeah, I just said that :-) Some haev been absolute stinkers (The Besnard Lakes' debut), some have been glorious (on a similar horsey theme, Thee Stranded Horse's Churning Strides promo cover)

It'll be kept in museum form for my hordes of worshippers to stare at in wonder.

Current 93's Of Ruine or Some Blazing Starre
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Aug 2022, 21:35

CDs only. Can't stand vinyl.

I don't see how people ever answer this question.

See answer to above.

Closets, the floor leaning up against the wall.

Probably the Grateful Dead Complete Europe '72 Recordings and the Thirty Trips Around the Sun boxes. Or maybe the Wings 1971 - 1973 box.

Pretty much nothing. I've scaled all of those mountains.

When you say "records," I think "vinyl. See answer to number one.

Online. Discogs, Amazon, eBay, etc.

Amoeba, though I haven't been since the pandemic. I can find anything online cheaper anyway.

Every damn day, of course!

Sometimes, in terms of various things which come in box sets. But I never pull it out and look unless I'm playing the music.

Nope. People always say yes to this question. Never understood it.

I'm never gonna die.

Again, I'm thinking vinyl.

Return to “Yakety Yak”