The Record Collector/Record Owner Survey

Do talk back
robertff

Re: The Record Collector/Record Owner Survey

Postby robertff » 16 Aug 2022, 07:48

Not sure why records simply means vinyl Matt - thought it was short for recordings, which of course would include CDs but hey ho.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Aug 2022, 17:54

I'm probably just thinking of your vinyl only thread.

Jock

Postby Jock » 23 Aug 2022, 13:03

1. What do you collect and why?
Mostly CD's. An LP if it's not available on CD

2. How big is your collection?
Just short of 3000. That's CD, LP and Box (ed) sets. I'm a sucker for boxes :lol:

3. What do you think it’s worth?
According to Discogs a mean value of £33,000

4. How and where do you store it?
Shelves from IKEA. I have a music room.

5. What’s the rarest/most unusual/most valuable item you have?
Again according to Discogs. The Beatles Mono vinyl box, The Beatles Let It Be Naked is going for daft money, and The Triffids,Come Ride With Me Deluxe set

6. What elusive gem are you still looking for?
Nothing. I seem to have everything I want.

7.What’s given you the biggest thrill record wise?
Obviously a cheap mint album by any of my favourites.

8.How do you track stuff down?
Don't track stuff down now. Just have the odd wander around what record shops that are left.
There's only one record shop in Ayrshire and it's too expensive.
I buy from Amazon usually
9. What is/was your favourite record shop?
It was The Card and POP Inn in Kilmarnock. It's been closed for years

10. How often do you listen to stuff in your collection?
Maybe miss one day out of a week.

11. Is their a visual side to collecting for you?
No

12. Have you ever bought a record for the sleeve alone, or for a picture disc?
No

13.How will you eventually dispose of your collection?
That'll be up to my daughter, Donna

14.What’s your all time favourite record, regardless of value or rarity?
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Always Cheated Never Defeated

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 Aug 2022, 05:32

First of all, I would say that I think there is a difference between buying something because you want to listen to it and true "collecting." Collecting is when you buy something more for the purpose of putting it on a shelf, like collecting every release by a favorite artist regardless of whether it's good, or collecting different issues of a favorite album.

That being said, even in the generic sense of the word "collect" I no longer collect anything and am actively disposing of a great portion of my collection. In the past I bought cassettes, vinyl and compact discs.

I probably still have around 200 lp's, 30 or so singles, 4,000 cd's (down from 5,500 at the peak) and several hundred cassettes.

A lot! I know because I've been selling stuff for good money, stuff I don't even care about. If you listened to a lot of alternative rock/punk in the 80's/90's and took care of it you might be sitting on a goldmine.

I have an alcove for the records I'm keeping and stacks of crates for the cd's I want to keep. Everything else is in storage.

Dunno. I have a bunch of rare punk/alternative/garage etc. that is super-rare, but probably not valuable because no one knows or cares about it. Some of the Pink Floyd related bootlegs I have would probably fetch good prices from collectors, though I'm not selling any of that if I can help it.

N/A

?

In the past I used Ebay, Gemm, Discogs, Midnight Records, and Amazon.

Waterloo Records and End of an Ear Records in Austin, Texas are ones that I used to patronize that are still around, though I haven't been in years. In the past there was Record/Sound Exchange, Inner Sanctum Records, Stashus Mule Records, Antone's Records, ABCD's, and a bunch of others.

It depends on how familiar it is, how much I like it, and if it's within reach and doesn't require a lot of searching when I get the urge to hear it.

There certainly was. I bought lots of stuff at least partially because of cool/unusual/funny album cover art.

See previous answer.

Controlled implosion.

'Off to the Angels' by the largely unknown psychedelic revival group A Western Front. I originally bought it new around 1984 and then lost it when it was stolen in a burglary with much of my old record collection in 1988. In 1993 A Western Front resurfaced from utter obscurity with a new album and I wrote to them to the address on their new cd, and explained that my old copy of 'Off to the Angels' had been stolen and I couldn't find another copy of it to save my life. They mailed me back an autographed copy, apologizing for stealing my record!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

C
Robust

Postby C » 06 Nov 2023, 10:50

CDs - I haven't bought vinyl since the early 80s - Possibly Big County's debut was the last

Big - thousands

No idea

Bespoke built in wood shelving in my upstairs music room

I don't know - prices seem to fluctuate. I recall seeing Chicago's Live in Japan going for around £400 - it's far from that now!

I have already searched down everything I want and need

7. What’s given you the biggest thrill record wise?

Purchasing the eponymous Quatermass album, the day it came out, just for the cover - I'd never heard of the band or heard the marvellous) music

As a 15 year old, hearing Cream's Wheels of Fire for the first time including Peter Baker's tub solo

It's all alphabetical - trouble is these days it is difficult for me to access high and low shelves so I tend to stream a high percentage of music through decent streaming machine [Bluesound Node 2i]

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/bluesound-node-2i

Downtown Records in Brentwood, Essex- fifty years ago

Every day

I have bought vinyl in the past - just for the cover, not knowing the music [see above]

Yes. One picture disc - Curved Air's Airconditioning [note one word], but returned it soon after because it sounded awful - replaced for a black version

When I die my wife will decide

Impossible to answer but the ones that always run easily off the tongue are Hot Rats, In a Glass House, Phaedra, If, In the Land of Grey & Pink, Mirage, Full House, Third, Larks' Tongues, After the Goldrush, Thick as a Brick etc etc...

Last edited by C on 07 Nov 2023, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 07 Nov 2023, 04:24

The stuff I like because it brings me pleasure.

I bought a condo with an extra bedroom for the collections. This winter I am stripping the breakfast nook for cd shelves so I can add some lp shelves.

It's weight in gold.

I'd like to ay that spare bedroom but it tends to spill all over everywhere but the kitchen.

I have no idea. I've never really looked into the value.

No one thing. There is always a stack of shit in the back of my brain that I would love to find but have never run across.

Running across any of those lps from the question above.

I'm not nearly the bloodhound I used to be. I still use discogs often.

I wish I could say. Over the years there have been so many.

Pretty much all day. Watch a little tube in the AM but switch to music when I get moving. That lasts until I fall into the sack and watch a little more tube.

Funny thing, I never thought about this but my walls are littered with flyers, framed covers and sheet music, and art by some of my favorite musicians. So I'm gonna say yes.

Sleeves yes, picture discs no

I had this discussion recently on another forum. Today I say who cares, I can't take it with me when I go. I hope someone in family can find some enjoyment or make some money off of it but when I am gone, who cares? I had my time with it.

Unanswerable.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

cheifwhat

Postby cheifwhat » 07 Nov 2023, 16:54

I don't anymore, but I used to occasionally buy music and comics and old sci-fi novels

The music I'm not too sure. I listed all the 7" singles on Discogs (message me if you want to buy any, they are for sale sadly) and there are about 1500. I have two and a half Kalax Ikea cubes of vinyl and a fair number of cassettes (which is now what I play most often, as it was in my youth) and more CDs than I remember ever buying (including a bunch of old Jolly Up cd compilations.

The average price for the seven-inch singles on Discogs is £7280. I have no idea the rest

On Kalax shelves in my man cave shed. I am sitting in it now. i work from home and I fucking LOVE having this shed with all my books and music in it (and my gaming PC)

I did have a single called 'Watch Out' by The Form which I sold on Discogs to someone in Japan for about £300. I have no idea how I came to own the record and had no idea I had it until I started listing stuff on the site. The current top value record there is The Believers - Across The Track (Deep Funk) which has only sold once for £242.99

Nothing in the music sphere, but a few comics I'd like to complete sets

I'm not sure how to answer this. I loved putting all the seven-inch records on Discogs over a few months as I got to play a load of them again. I will settle for a cd of Love Forever Changes Live in 2004 as it reminds me very much of seeing them live performing that album (with Snow Dog). I hadn't listened to the album in a while at that point and had forgotten just how good it was, nay, is. Each song was a revelation.

I don't

I used to love the market stalls in Greenwich market in London and there was a 'Junk and Gems' shop that sold loads of crap, including music, on Maple Road in Penge. The lady that ran it closed it a while back. I remember asking her, she had a separate shop unit just for books and I asked if she wasn't worried that they would get stolen. She took the fag out of her mouth for a second and said 'nah, nobody in Penge knows how to read'. She was great. I stage managed a few plays while I was at Uni at Goldsmiths back in about 1999/2001. If I needed any kind of prop for a play, she would most likey have something I could use in her shop.

Not every day. I go through phases of listening or reading or whatever.

Yes. Love looking at the books and music on the shelves all around me.

I bought Big Brother and the Holding Company's record that had art by Robert Crumb from the above-mentioned junk and Gems for £3 just for the cover. And Iron Maiden's Somewhere in Time too (I'm not sure I played it more than once. The Janis Joplin LP is superb mind.

Hopefully, my kids will get some joy from some of it or it will go to Italy and sit with my dad's collection and maybe be joined by my brothers when he pops his clogs. Most likely, i expect my wife or kids will sell it off for peanuts, but I'd rather it was given away than thrown away.

Probably the Stone Roses debut
Mostly dancing sir,...

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Nov 2023, 20:00

robertff wrote:Not sure why records simply means vinyl Matt - thought it was short for recordings, which of course would include CDs but hey ho.

While I follow your logic, back before cassettes and cds, lps were records and I never thought of cassettes or cds as records even though they are recordings. My generic category for a cd or cassette is “album” if I’m talking of the recording and not the format. Singles were only important to me until I could afford buying lps which was high school so it’s been mostly albums for me.

Looking over my answers from last year, nothing has changed except my friend did build another large record shelf for my large bedroom closet. I’ve bought less than ten lps and I think 1 cd this year and most of those were Blue Note reissues.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Yakety Yak”