PSLs: Love, R&L Thompson & Charles Mingus - oooof!

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: PSLs: Double Header: Richard & Linda Thompson & Charles Mingus, Fri 29th July @ 9pm

Postby C » 29 Jul 2022, 21:39

See you at 9:45

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Re: PSLs: Double Header: & Charles Mingus, Fri 29th July @ 9:45pm

Postby C » 29 Jul 2022, 21:43

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

9:45pm

Charles Mingus - Ah Um

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Re: PSLs: Double Header: Richard & Linda Thompson & Charles Mingus, Fri 29th July @ 9pm

Postby LMG » 29 Jul 2022, 21:44

The cumulative effect of these songs is quite something. This definitely an album. In fact, RT really regretted including the b-side Living In Luxury on an early CD reissue. In later years it was removed again, RT commenting that was the 'vastly improved edition'.

C
Robust

Re: PSLs: Double Header: Charles Mingus, Fri 29th July @ 9:45pm

Postby C » 29 Jul 2022, 21:46

The Mingus album is a long album people feel free to drop out when they’ve had enough in the in advance thank you very much for everybody’s attendance it’s been fun and enjoyable drop of jazz now

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Jul 2022, 21:47

Jazz man.

The great Charles Mingus

A bigger band sound then we normally gravitate to

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 29 Jul 2022, 21:47

LMG wrote:The cumulative effect of these songs is quite something. This definitely an album. In fact, RT really regretted including the b-side Living In Luxury on an early CD reissue. In later years it was removed again, RT commenting that was the 'vastly improved edition'.

Yes, very much an album.

Didn't know about Living in Luxury.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 29 Jul 2022, 21:49

C wrote:The Mingus album is a long album people feel free to drop out when they’ve had enough in the in advance thank you very much for everybody’s attendance it’s been fun and enjoyable drop of jazz now

Ah. Um. I am listening to the original edited LP, which I know best. 46 mins.

The elongated CD never grabbed me.

Details on wikipedia:

Edited and unedited versions

The original Columbia Records LP release of the album featured edited versions of six of the nine compositions. For these tracks, from one to three minutes of the performances were removed, either to meet the playing time constraints of the LP format, or because producer Teo Macero felt the pieces were more effective in edited form. Unedited versions of these pieces were first released in 1979, on LP. The first widely-available CD edition of the album, 1987's "Columbia Jazz Masterpieces" edition, used the original LP edits. The edited version has been reissued on compact disc subsequent to 1987, including a 2019 release by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab. The unedited version of the album was first widely released on compact disc in 1998 as part of the Sony Legacy series, and it too has remained available through additional compact disc reissues.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 29 Jul 2022, 21:51

C wrote:Jazz man.

The great Charles Mingus

A bigger band sound then we normally gravitate to

Big band sounds are fine with me. I've always enjoyed the work of Count Basie and have been increasingly drawn to Duke Ellington. There are less players than are part of Charlie Haden's Liberation Music Orchestra, another fine ensemble.

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Jul 2022, 21:52

Nice tubs

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Jul 2022, 21:53

Nice tubs

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Jul 2022, 21:54

LMG wrote:
C wrote:The Mingus album is a long album people feel free to drop out when they’ve had enough in the in advance thank you very much for everybody’s attendance it’s been fun and enjoyable drop of jazz now

Details on wikipedia:

The original Columbia Records LP release of the album featured edited versions of six of the nine compositions. For these tracks, from one to three minutes of the performances were removed, either to meet the playing time constraints of the LP format, or because producer Teo Macero felt the pieces were more effective in edited form. Unedited versions of these pieces were first released in 1979, on LP. The first widely-available CD edition of the album, 1987's "Columbia Jazz Masterpieces" edition, used the original LP edits. The edited version has been reissued on compact disc subsequent to 1987, including a 2019 release by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab. The unedited version of the album was first widely released on compact disc in 1998 as part of the Sony Legacy series, and it too has remained available through additional compact disc reissues.

Thanks Chris I’m streaming tonight I need to check tomorrow what version I have on the CD because I definitely have this and to be honest I don’t recall it being this long so I probably have the shorter version too

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 29 Jul 2022, 21:55

LMG wrote:

Details on wikipedia:

Am listening to a CBS Jazz Masterpieces CD. Just noted I was less than two months old when this was recorded.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 29 Jul 2022, 21:56

I mean this as a compliment - so much of this reminds me of 60s soundtrack music, to movies like The Sweet Smell of Success and tv shows like Peter Gunn and The Fugitive.

Which is just to show how influential and ahead of its time this was.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 29 Jul 2022, 21:57

C wrote:
LMG wrote:

Details on wikipedia:

Thanks Chris I’m streaming tonight I need to check tomorrow what version I have on the CD because I definitely have this and to be honest I don’t recall it being this long so I probably have the shorter version too

46 minutes short 57 minutes long
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Jul 2022, 21:57

Lovely sax

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 29 Jul 2022, 21:58

C wrote:Lovely sax

Doobs, Cat, Doobs.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 29 Jul 2022, 21:59

LMG wrote:I mean this as a compliment - so much of this reminds me of 60s soundtrack music, to movies like The Sweet Smell of Success and tv shows like Peter Gunn and The Fugitive.

Which is just to show how influential and ahead of its time this was.

Very happy to take your word on that.

Not sure I've seen Sweet Smell of Success, Peter Gunn or The Fugitive. I'm definitely not a film buff.

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Jul 2022, 22:01

I love a drop of clarinet my grandad used to play in the Army band when he was with them 1919 in India

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 29 Jul 2022, 22:01

Paying close attention to the piano, having just skimmed the liner notes and being reminded that Horace Parlan, as a result of contracting polio, had a paralysed right hand and only used two of its fingers when playing.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 29 Jul 2022, 22:03

Self Portrait in Three Colours.

Gorgeous.

Return to “Yakety Yak”