The most obscure artist in my collection

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

The most obscure artist in my collection

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Jun 2022, 05:23

The most obscure artist in my collection has got to be the pre-war blues singer and guitarist Sonny Scott. Nothing is known about him, no photo, nothing but the recording details from the two days he recorded in New York in 1933, and those 17 songs. Just Sonny on guitar, accompanied on some of the tracks by his friend, Walter Roland from Birmingham, Alabama, on piano.

Sonny Scott's complete recordings were restored and reissued on CD by RST Records in Vienna in 1988. The sound quality on those old 78's is very rough and lo-fi, but I am keeping the CD for historical reasons and also because I like exclusive things. There's something about pre-war blues that attracts me, that old-timey feeling and the spareness of it all. It's just nice to turn to rural blues when you've had your fill of polished, modern productions.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Quaco
F R double E

Re: The most obscure artist in my collection

Postby Quaco » 18 Jun 2022, 16:10

Wonderful - thank you. Just listening to Sonny Scott on YouTube and I immediately like it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Return to “Yakety Yak”