Disney soundtracks

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Disney soundtracks

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Jun 2022, 13:15

NOW PLAYING: "Mary Poppins" - (Walt Disney Records, 1964) -- It's the 1998 remaster with bonus tracks and an interview with the Sherman Brothers, and I have come to the conclusion that full soundtracks from Disney ain't my cuppa. "Mary Poppins" only has one stand-out song, "Chim Chim Cher-ee", which deservedly won an Oscar. It's hard to go wrong with such a strong composition, even though Dick Van Dyke does his darndest to destroy it with his mock Cockney accent. The rest is junk, terribly hokey. Sure it might work in the context of a screening, but as background music in the space age bachelor pad - forget about it. Nevertheless, the soundtrack also won an Oscar and went gold in the US and the UK. No, compilations are the way to go with Disney music. You can get the hits on one or two volume CD sets, and if you are really brave, there's even an oop LP-sized box set for you to splurge on. Typically, a Disney classic will have one or two really good songs, the rest is junk.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Disney soundtracks

Postby naughty boy » 17 Jun 2022, 13:48

why start a thread on this?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Jun 2022, 14:06

OUTPLAY wrote:why start a thread on this?

Because they do have some good songs. But you hate everything.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 17 Jun 2022, 14:09

:lol:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 17 Jun 2022, 14:52

Feed the Birds is a great song. Pishes all over Chim Chim Cher eeee
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Jun 2022, 15:07

Jimbly wrote:Feed the Birds is a great song. Pishes all over Chim Chim Cher eeee

I'll give it a listen.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 17 Jun 2022, 17:02

Jimbly wrote:Feed the Birds is a great song. Pishes all over Chim Chim Cher eeee

What about "A Spoonful of Sugar" ?
Woefully underrated !

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 17 Jun 2022, 17:11

GoogaIsAlasMisgudedIt'sShitAndWeAllKnowIt
We're way past rhubarb

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 17 Jun 2022, 18:16

There an awful lot of classic Disney tunes, and several of them have become jazz standards. Disney go through patches of having weak songs - there's not much to be said for the songs in the Fox and the Hound, for example, and I am no fan of Roger Miller's songs in Robin Hood. The Sherman Brothers, who wrote the song for Mary Poppins, could be hit and miss - the songs for this film and the Jungle Book are much more highly regarded than their songs for the Sword in the Stone or Bedknobs and Broomsticks.
As for Mary Poppins, there is hardly a duff track in it - the worst is I love to laugh. Supercali and Spoonful are perhaps over-familiar, but the rest are ace. Feed the birds is the best. Check out Suzanne Vega's eery Stay Awake, from the excellent Disney tribute comp produced by Hal Wilner.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Jun 2022, 18:43

Brickyard Jack wrote:There an awful lot of classic Disney tunes, and several of them have become jazz standards. Disney go through patches of having weak songs - there's not much to be said for the songs in the Fox and the Hound, for example, and I am no fan of Roger Miller's songs in Robin Hood. The Sherman Brothers, who wrote the song for Mary Poppins, could be hit and miss - the songs for this film and the Jungle Book are much more highly regarded than their songs for the Sword in the Stone or Bedknobs and Broomsticks.
As for Mary Poppins, there is hardly a duff track in it - the worst is I love to laugh. Supercali and Spoonful are perhaps over-familiar, but the rest are ace. Feed the birds is the best. Check out Suzanne Vega's eery Stay Awake, from the excellent Disney tribute comp produced by Hal Wilner.

Yes, "I Love to Laugh" is absolutely the worst thing on there.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Jun 2022, 22:09

Jungle Book, Beauty and The Beast, Pocahontas, Hercules, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Aristocats, Mulan are all top notch.

Don’t really know the ones from the last 15+ years as my youngest is 19, but what I’ve heard of Frozen is pretty good.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 18 Jun 2022, 00:24

Googs, try Hal Wilmer’s collection of Disney reinterpretations, Stay Awake. It will show you how great many of the songs actually are.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Jun 2022, 04:27

Hugh wrote:Googs, try Hal Wilmer’s collection of Disney reinterpretations, Stay Awake. It will show you how great many of the songs actually are.

Thanks, Hugh. I've also got my sights on "Brubeck Digs Disney" and Little Richard's album of covers.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 18 Jun 2022, 21:53

GoogaMooga wrote:
Hugh wrote:Googs, try Hal Wilmer’s collection of Disney reinterpretations, Stay Awake. It will show you how great many of the songs actually are.

Thanks, Hugh. I've also got my sights on "Brubeck Digs Disney" and Little Richard's album of covers.

Played Stay Awake myself this afternoon.

Not for me.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 Jun 2022, 01:14

GoogaMooga wrote:
OUTPLAY wrote:why start a thread on this?

Because they do have some good songs. But you hate everything.

John thinks anyone who tells him that is PROJECTING

Return to “Yakety Yak”