Is prog a health hazard?

Do talk back
trans-chigley express

Re: Is prog a health hazard?

Postby trans-chigley express » 03 Jun 2022, 23:32

mudshark wrote:John, if I just stick to Genesis for now (I think you like their prog, given the fact that way back when ring tones were a thing you had Firth of Fifth on your tiny Nokia. What interesting things does the music of Genesis have?

I think you're spot on: most prog after, let's say, 1980 is a rehash of what was done before. During the 15-minute or so ordeal when I listened to that Wilson album I could clearly recognize the Musical Box-style acoustic guitar, the typical tadam-tadatadam-tadamtadamtadamtadam-tadam-tadam staccato that is no detrimental to a lot of KC's stuff, and the pompous ELP shenanigans. It's all there. Clever, but not at all original. And extremely annoying.

There's no ELP. Steven Wilson dislikes them. He's not a fan of Genesis either

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 03 Jun 2022, 23:35

Matt Wilson wrote:I heard Rush in the first track.

Spot on. That's pretty much the only strong influence that I really hear in the whole album. The album sounds like Steven Wilson to me....for good or bad depending on your point of view.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 04 Jun 2022, 01:55

I still have Firth of Fifth as my ringtone - but now it is a sample of the actual track rather than a Nokia bleep.

What interesting things do Genesis have?
Well if you are asking me that it is because you don't find it interesting.
So my advice to you is to move onto something that does interest you.
My cut off for prog is pretty much the day after Going for the One was released - so 1977.
There are items here and there after that that I like but literally zero after1982
But as we have seen there are all sorts of people who ought to know better that like Steve Wilson and his contemporaries.
Doesn't matter to me. Does it to you?
I don't like cheese either
I'm ok with fools eating it
I just think they are fools.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Jun 2022, 01:58

Muddy, I'm sure you've been exposed to them before, but try either Foxtrot, Selling England or The Lamb again, or maybe even Nursery Cryme, which I probably enjoy as much as The Lamb anyway. If none of those four do it for you, then forget about Genesis.

C
Robust

Postby C » 04 Jun 2022, 12:57

Matt Wilson wrote:Muddy, I'm sure you've been exposed to them before, but try either Foxtrot, Selling England or The Lamb again, or maybe even Nursery Cryme, which I probably enjoy as much as The Lamb anyway. If none of those four do it for you, then forget about Genesis.

What did Zappa say....?

Muddy, life is too short lad

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 04 Jun 2022, 13:47

The Slider wrote:There are items here and there after that that I like but literally zero after1982

:lol:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Jun 2022, 16:27

Steven Wilson has been around since 87 and has several bands under his belt he has also done a wonderful job with reissues of other old albums by multiple groups. If you can’t hear the differences between his works and old prog giants your simply not listening and have old ears that only hear the old accents. PT has tons of original sounding songs, yes they accent old prog but at the same time have there own vibe. His solo albums especially the first few are a difference vibe and understand not for everyone but when I’m in the mood I like them. There is no day in my life where I listen to one type of music after a prog listening run I tend to put on something soothing. Can’t wait to see PT in the fall - Gavin back !!!

All music has something from the past - you all pee over so much albums from the 60’s and 70’s but all of them did have a sound of something before it’s just they added other stuff. Same thing. Don’t get me started on modern lyrics .

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 04 Jun 2022, 18:52

John, I think you're getting me wrong. I'm not trying to sound condescending. I'm interested in your thoughts. For the purpose of this conversation I dusted off my old Selling England copy (I also have Nursery, Trick. The truly awful Lamb as well). For me, the best performer on the album is Phil Collins. His drumming is the best I've heard on any classic prog album. Maybe it's because of his sojourn into fusion with Brand X, but I don't know if that was before or after 1973. What's interesting about the album is that they manage to sound quite commercial without losing much of their typical 'Englishness'. I think it's very much an English album. It's also one of the few prog albums with lyrics that sort-of make sense. A lot of it is about English culture and how it's being affected by Americanism. Also of interest is the More Fool Me ballad, in the sense that it's a precursor of the absolute rubbish they would be coming up with in the not too distant future. With Passion Play it's probably the best prog album I know.

Hightea is right up to a point. And even in 'old' prog one can hear influences from contemporaries. The final bit of The Last Ordeal comes right of Focus' Moving Ways. And oftentimes it's not a problem for me. With the Steven Wilson album it was, and that's probably my own fault. I've learned my lesson. Whenever I have a weak moment I'll grab back to the prog (well, the stuff I consider 'prog', so Soft Machine, Can and VDGG are not ) I know I like: Selling, Trick, half of W&W, Passion Play, War Child, some Focus, the first Yes album.

Not any time soon though. I feel a strong urge to listen to Richard Hell & the Voidoids. I belong to the blank generation, I can take it or leave it each time
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 10 Jun 2022, 13:49

I like them best when they are playing.
So Firth of Fifth and The Cinema Show are the tracks that I like the best - in fact they are two of my three favourite Genesis numbers.
The short, more song-y tracks are of less interest to me
Of course Collins is the most accomplished player here - but Hackett's guitar and Gabriel's voice are not very far behind.
Banks and Rutherford are both reasonably accomplished but their contribution is more notable as writers, if you ask me.

Steven Wilson is a decent remasterer
But his own music sounds like outtakes from the least interesting PInk Floyd member's solo album from 2002.
Dreary as all hell.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 11 Jun 2022, 01:38

You've covered it, sir! Couldn't agree with you more.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 11 Jun 2022, 08:59

robertff

Postby robertff » 11 Jun 2022, 12:38

robertff

Postby robertff » 11 Jun 2022, 12:40

Lord Rother wrote:: :lol: :

I’m with you Lord North.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 14 Jun 2022, 01:22

A friend of mine came back from lunch once with the strangest look on his face. He lived close to work, so used to walk home for lunch. After lunch this particular time, being prone to prog-listening as he was, he blithely was rocking out to "The Gates of Delirium", and walked up the street from his house and across the train tracks ... when he felt (not heard) wind rushing behind him. He turned around a couple feet past the tracks only to see a vertical wall of the side of a train speeding past. He had stepped over the tracks just in time. Once second (or five feet) later and my friend would have been creamed. I can only imagine what the conductor was going through! So yes, prog can be just as dangerous as punk rock!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Jun 2022, 07:02

What a way to go though.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 17 Jun 2022, 13:49

By a big big train? I suppose so
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 17 Jun 2022, 15:24

Quaco wrote:A friend of mine came back from lunch once with the strangest look on his face. He lived close to work, so used to walk home for lunch. After lunch this particular time, being prone to prog-listening as he was, he blithely was rocking out to "The Gates of Delirium", and walked up the street from his house and across the train tracks ... when he felt (not heard) wind rushing behind him. He turned around a couple feet past the tracks only to see a vertical wall of the side of a train speeding past. He had stepped over the tracks just in time. Once second (or five feet) later and my friend would have been creamed. I can only imagine what the conductor was going through! So yes, prog can be just as dangerous as punk rock!

Back in the day I loved putting on some random Genesis tune and weave my way thru traffic on a Friday afternoon. Sure I cut and pissed off a bunch of people. IT was the Bronx so I guess I could have gotten shot. :lol:

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Jun 2022, 21:57

OUTPLAY wrote:By a big big train? I suppose so

Ah yes, I missed that. :D

C
Robust

Postby C » 18 Jun 2022, 11:23

Only the derivative claptrap

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Return to “Yakety Yak”