Edit a flawed masterpiece

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Edit a flawed masterpiece

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 May 2022, 17:49

I too would keep Yellow Submarine on Revolver. I think it fits fine, never had any problems with it.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 13 May 2022, 17:52

Matt Wilson wrote:
robertff wrote:My Generation - leave off Daltrey's James Brown impersonation Please Please Please and I'm A Man and replace it with two others - Can't Explain, Anyway, Anyhow.....

I notice that the US version leaves off I'm A Man and replaces it with Instant Party, makes it a better album I think.

I'm not crazy about the other James Brown tune ("I Don't Mind") either. Take both of them off, as well as "I'm a Man" (which they had no business covering after the Yardbirds did it anyway), replace them with "Can't Explain," "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" and "Instant Party" (problem is - that's a 1966 song, and the LP was released in '65), and you have a five-star album.

Byrds - Fifth Dimension

"5D (Fifth Dimension)" (Jim McGuinn) – 2:33
"Wild Mountain Thyme" (traditional, arranged Jim McGuinn, Chris Hillman, Michael Clarke, David Crosby) – 2:30
"Mr. Spaceman" (Jim McGuinn) – 2:09
"I See You" (Jim McGuinn, David Crosby) – 2:38
"What's Happening?!?!" (David Crosby) – 2:35
"I Come and Stand at Every Door" (Nâzım Hikmet) – 3:03 replace with "I Know My Rider (I Know You Rider)" (traditional, arranged Jim McGuinn, Gene Clark, David Crosby) – 2:43

Side two

"Eight Miles High" (Gene Clark, Jim McGuinn, David Crosby) – 3:34
"Hey Joe (Where You Gonna Go)" (Billy Roberts) – 2:17 replace with "Why" [Single Version] (Jim McGuinn, David Crosby) – 2:59
"Captain Soul" (Jim McGuinn, Chris Hillman, Michael Clarke, David Crosby) – 2:53 replace with "Psychodrama City" (David Crosby) – 3:23
"John Riley" (traditional, arranged Jim McGuinn, Chris Hillman, Michael Clarke, David Crosby) – 2:57
"2-4-2 Fox Trot (The Lear Jet Song)" (Jim McGuinn) – 2:12

Voila! Another five-star LP.

Captain Soul is one of my faves!

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 13 May 2022, 17:53

The Slider wrote:
robertff wrote:Revolver get rid of Yellow Submarine (sorry Ringo) and replace it with Rain - absolute perfection.

YS doesn't mar Revolver.

Maxwell mars Abbey Rd

Maxwell really is shit.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 13 May 2022, 17:59

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Chop ‘The Circle Game’ out of Ladies of the Canyon

Shan't, won't, can't make me. You chop if you want but you'll have me to answer to.
We're way past rhubarb

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 May 2022, 18:15

The Fish wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Chop ‘The Circle Game’ out of Ladies of the Canyon

Shan't, won't, can't make me. You chop if you want but you'll have me to answer to.

Oh, PAUL!!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 May 2022, 18:54

"The Circle Game" is okay by me, but it's an odd one in that it was already four or five years old by the time it appeared on Ladies, and several other artists of note had recorded it (Tom Rush - then arguably a bigger name than Mitchell - had even named a popular album after it). I wonder if she put it on her album just so people would know that this was HER SONG dammit.

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 May 2022, 18:56

Matt Wilson wrote:I'd lose "Barbara Ann," but otherwise, not bad. The Who has so many great Townshend numbers in the '60s that you almost can't fashion a mediocre album from them. Over the years I've even come to enjoy Magic Bus - The Who on Tour.

Funnily enough I played that one earlier, as you say enjoyable, despite the lower quality.

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 May 2022, 19:02

Led Zep - exorcise Moby Dick and replace it with anything but a drum solo. In fact replace any drum solo on any record with something else, sorry to those who like them, but I absolutely hate them.

Led Zep have a few odd tracks on their albums which could be removed, not sure what they could be replaced with though, didn’t seem to have too much in the vault when it came to recordings.

Last edited by robertff on 13 May 2022, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 May 2022, 19:09

GoogaMooga wrote:I too would keep Yellow Submarine on Revolver. I think it fits fine, never had any problems with it.

It’s not that I don’t like YS but Rain is such an incredible song it was wasted as a ‘B’ side on a single and would have fitted very nicely on Revolver.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 May 2022, 19:18

Charlie O. wrote:"The Circle Game" is okay by me, but it's an odd one in that it was already four or five years old by the time it appeared on Ladies, and several other artists of note had recorded it (Tom Rush - then arguably a bigger name than Mitchell - had even named a popular album after it). I wonder if she put it on her album just so people would know that this was HER SONG dammit.

Well at least she took the blame!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 13 May 2022, 23:57

robertff wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I too would keep Yellow Submarine on Revolver. I think it fits fine, never had any problems with it.

It’s not that I don’t like YS but Rain is such an incredible song it was wasted as a ‘B’ side on a single and would have fitted very nicely on Revolver.

It should have been a double A side
But then all Beatles singles were *treated* like double A sides even if they weren't
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 14 May 2022, 00:02

robertff wrote:Led Zep - exorcise Moby Dick and replace it with anything but a drum solo. In fact replace any drum solo on any record with something else, sorry to those who like them, but I absolutely hate them.

Led Zep have a few odd tracks on their albums which could be removed, not sure what they could be replaced with though, didn’t seem to have too much in the vault when it came to recordings.

I agree - sort of - but MD has a titanic riff
I'd just edit out the solo like it is on the most recent edition's bonus disc

I'd lose Black Mountainside from I
Hats of to Roy Harper on III - replace with Hey Hey What Can I Do?
I'd lose Sandy Denny from IV
The Crunge from HotH - replace it with the title track
Sick Again from PG
nothing from Presence or ITtOD - I'm happy with them as they are though I guess most would replace Hot Dog with Walters Walk or Wearin' and Tearin'

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 14 May 2022, 00:26

The Slider wrote:I'd lose Black Mountainside from I

:x :( :x
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 May 2022, 01:54

The Slider wrote:
robertff wrote:I agree - sort of - but MD has a titanic riff

Which isn't even theirs.

robertff

Postby robertff » 14 May 2022, 11:36

While Stanley Unwin’s words might have been quaint for the first few listens, it would be nice to have a version without them, don’t think they did much for the album then, certainly don’t do anything for it now.

Wonder if Spike Milligan doing the words would have made a difference? Probably would have felt the same about it now though. Still love the record.

robertff

Postby robertff » 14 May 2022, 11:37

Matt Wilson wrote:
The Slider wrote:

Which isn't even theirs.

So many weren’t.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 14 May 2022, 11:57

Matt Wilson wrote:
The Slider wrote:

Which isn't even theirs.

Nothing of Led Zeppelin's is theirs

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 20 Jun 2022, 23:27

GoogaMooga wrote:We probably all know of near great albums where we wished a duff track or two would have been left out. Albums that would have been perfect, if it hadn't been for those clunkers. I thought we could have an ongoing thread where we present a tracklist of a near-perfect album and mark red the ones we'd edit out.

I'll start. Beach Boys "Today!" from 1965. The precursor to "Pet Sounds", it shows a full flowering of Brian Wilson's production talent. I think it's their second best from the Capitol years. Lose "Bull Session with the Big Daddy" and you've got a perfect album.

Do You Wanna Dance?
Good To My Baby
Don't Hurt My Little Sister
When I Grow Up
Help Me, Ronda
Dance, Dance, Dance
Please Let Me Wonder
I'm So Young
Kiss Me, Baby
She Knows Me Too Well
In The Back Of My Mind
Bull Session With The "Big Daddy"

I don't agree with this one. I think the Boys' comedy tracks are essential to who they were. They were always a family thing, and listening to their records was like being privy to their strange family ways. It's why fans are so possessive of Brian, feel they know the guys, etc. The spoken-word/comedy tracks are the equivalent of the "Lifelines of The Beatles" charts you would see in teen magazines, where the lads would tell you their favorite food, drink, songwriters, and what kinds of girls they liked. Essential stuff of the time, and — I'm not decrying Sgt. Pepper's and its ilk but — when rock music lost that aspect, it also lost a lot of its fun.

I will agree that "Bull Session" isn't as good as "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" or the unbelievable "'Cassius' Love vs. 'Sonny' Wilson". Honestly, I think they should have done a couple more of these things.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 20 Jun 2022, 23:28

robertff wrote:My Generation - leave off Daltrey's James Brown impersonation Please Please Please and I'm A Man and replace it with two others - Can't Explain, Anyway, Anyhow.....

I notice that the US version leaves off I'm A Man and replaces it with Instant Party, makes it a better album I think.

It does. If it had had the long "The Kids Are Alright", it would have been definitively better.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 20 Jun 2022, 23:31

The Slider wrote:
robertff wrote:Led Zep - exorcise Moby Dick and replace it with anything but a drum solo. In fact replace any drum solo on any record with something else, sorry to those who like them, but I absolutely hate them.

I agree - sort of - but MD has a titanic riff
I'd just edit out the solo like it is on the most recent edition's bonus disc

I'd lose Black Mountainside from I
The Crunge from HotH - replace it with the title track
Sick Again from PG
nothing from Presence or ITtOD - I'm happy with them as they are though I guess most would replace Hot Dog with Walters Walk or Wearin' and Tearin'

Usually I agree with you, John, I really don't here (except for "Sick Again" maybe).
Last edited by Quaco on 20 Jun 2022, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Yakety Yak”