Combat Rock

Do talk back
mudshark

Combat Rock

Postby mudshark » 09 May 2022, 19:25

Next week is the release of the 40th anniversary edition of Combat Rock. It comes together with The People's Hall edition. It all sounds pretty damn interesting, and I've placed an order for the vinyl version. Track listing:

“Know Your Rights”
“Car Jamming”
“Should I Stay Or Should I Go”
“Rock The Casbah”
“Red Angel Dragnet”
“Straight To Hell”
“Overpowered By Funk”
“Atom Tan”
“Sean Flynn”
“Ghetto Defendant”
“Inoculated City”
“Death Is A Star”

“Outside Bonds”
“Radio Clash”
“Futura 2000”
“First Night Back In London”
“Radio One” – Mikey Dread
“He Who Dares Or Is Tired”
“Long Time Jerk”
“The Fulham Connection”
“Midnight To Stevens”
“Sean Flynn”
“Idle In Kangaroo Court”
“Know Your Rights”

It includes a couple of collaborations with the late Ska-legend Rankin Roger.
Are there any more geriatric punkers out there that are going to give this a listen?
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Combat Rock

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 May 2022, 19:38

mudshark wrote:Are there any more geriatric punkers out there that are going to give this a listen?

I enjoy the album, but were The Clash even 'punk' by 1982?

robertff

Postby robertff » 09 May 2022, 19:52

Got the original vinyl, that’s enough for me - not much of a fan I’m afraid.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 09 May 2022, 19:59

Not so much, Matt. I agree. But Know Your rights certainly is a great Punk song. I still like it a lot. Very energizing. Combat Rock still gets spun on a regular basis at home, but we tend to skip over Should I Stay, Rock the Casbah, and Overpowered. The rest is still great to our ears.

When I bought my vinyl version back in 82 (which I still have), KYR was not on the actual album but the package came with a single of the song. Don't have that one any more, alas.

I'm curious to hear the unreleased stuff. Apparently it all pre-dates the release of Combat Rock so I have good hopes it's half-decent.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 May 2022, 20:01

Actually, the "is-it-or-is-it-not-punk?" question doesn't concern me, as that word means different things across the pond. Certainly, Combat Rock isn't "punk" in 1982 like Black Flag were, but it's still mostly a good album.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 May 2022, 20:02

I’m at work and shouldn’t get into this.
I probably WILL though!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 09 May 2022, 20:03

I'll be up for this, really enjoy "Combat Rock" a lot.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 09 May 2022, 20:51

Hmm …. Was there an expanded 40th anniversary release of London Calling or Sandinista?

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 10 May 2022, 02:02

Dunno. Don't think so.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 10 May 2022, 03:15

mudshark wrote:Combat Rock still gets spun on a regular basis at home, but we tend to skip over Should I Stay, Rock the Casbah, and Overpowered. The rest is still great to our ears.

I always skip "Overpowered By Funk" and "Red Angel Dragnet".

I sometimes skip "Should I Stay...".

I've never skipped "Rock The Casbah". I don't know why, but that hasn't gotten old for me. It's kinda like I've burned out on "Won't Get Fooled Again", great though it is, but can't imagine ever getting tired of "Baba O'Riley".

Love the rest.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 10 May 2022, 13:11

I can't listen to Won't Get Fooled Again, It's just been way overplayed on 'rock radio', adds, movies, TV series etc. etc. I haven't listened to "Next" ever since Roger & Pete embarrassed themselves during the half-time show of superbowl forty or fifthy somethings.

Same issue with Kasbah and, especially, Should I stay. Not necessarily bad songs but I've just heard them way too often. And I haven't liked "Overpowered" from day 1. Sounds like something that didn't make it on Sandinista. If a song is not in the Top 36 of what a band has got got lying around, and they prefer to put something like Mensforth Hill on the album, then it's probably not a good song.

But the rest of the album still sounds surprisingly fresh to me. Ghetto Defendant and Straight To Hell or probably my favorites.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 May 2022, 15:07

SISOSIG is one of the worst songs ever written by anybody, never mind The Clash!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 10 May 2022, 18:05

Been enjoying this a lot the last few days

"...In these days of evil presidentes
Working for the clampdown" indeed.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 10 May 2022, 18:39

Mike, I've actually never listened to that one. The only live album I have is From Here To Eternity. Which one do you prefer?

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 10 May 2022, 19:47

mudshark wrote:Mike, I've actually never listened to that one. The only live album I have is From Here To Eternity. Which one do you prefer?

Not really that much in it, but I prefer Shea Stadium because I really love the set list and how its all one show and really flows, it has a real energy to it.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 10 May 2022, 20:13

I'll check it out on the way home.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 11 May 2022, 13:01

Mike Boom wrote:
mudshark wrote:Mike, I've actually never listened to that one. The only live album I have is From Here To Eternity. Which one do you prefer?

Not really that much in it, but I prefer Shea Stadium because I really love the set list and how its all one show and really flows, it has a real energy to it.

Shea Stadium by a hair. Because, as has been said, it's one show.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 11 May 2022, 16:39

Listened to Shea Stadium this morning and I agree it's the better of the 2, and mostly for the reason given: one show. What a support act!! I might have left instead of waiting for the main attraction. The only dissonant: Guns of Brixton. Simonon should have received a restraining order to not coming within 20 feet of a micrphone. His singing rimands me of that Only Fools & Horses episode wherein Delboy hires a singer. He comes really cheap and we soon find out the reason when he bursts out in "Cwying" and "The Gween Gween Gwas of Home". With that difference that that guy could hold a tone and Paul certainly can't.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 11 May 2022, 17:12

mudshark wrote:Listened to Shea Stadium this morning and I agree it's the better of the 2, and mostly for the reason given: one show. What a support act!! I might have left instead of waiting for the main attraction. The only dissonant: Guns of Brixton. Simonon should have received a restraining order to not coming within 20 feet of a micrphone. His singing rimands me of that Only Fools & Horses episode wherein Delboy hires a singer. He comes really cheap and we soon find out the reason when he bursts out in "Cwying" and "The Gween Gween Gwas of Home". With that difference that that guy could hold a tone and Paul certainly can't.

:lol:
Fantastic bass line tho!

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 11 May 2022, 17:33

ABSOLUTELY!!

Return to “Yakety Yak”