return of the live gigs

Do talk back
never/ever

Re: return of the live gigs

Postby never/ever » 20 Jun 2022, 23:42

Vivid Festival last week in Sydney. Normally it brings out a cluster of good bands from overseas but it was a bit limited on that front although gigging is still going strong.

Went to see Nils Frahm on Wednesday. Presented stuff from his new album Music For Animals which was pretty dynamic and in line with his All Melody- material. Ambient parts came courtesy of a pump organ and glass harmonium and melded pretty well into the mix. Great to see the Opera House full to capacity for this.

The following day I saw Spiritualized at Luna Park- a huge tent-like construction with a pretty good sound system that was put to the full test with the nine-headed band finishing the first two tracks into white noise oblivion. Using guitarists instead of a brass backing for a multitude of the Everything Was Beautiful-songs meant that overall the sound was beefed up in comparison to the already bloated album. With tracks being picked from every Spiritualized-release and no specific preference being given to Ladies And Gentlemen which celebrated its 25th birthday that day, it was a pretty versatile gig that only suffered halfway through when too many mid-tempo ballads were being played. That lull was thoroughly destroyed via a rousing Come Together that, next to The A Song were the sonic highlights. Finisher Lord Can You Hear Me was the balm for the soul to take away....

Glorious stuff! Bring on Hackett next week!
Last edited by never/ever on 21 Jun 2022, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 21 Jun 2022, 00:28

never/ever wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:
never/ever wrote:...Fernando Perdomo...

He's everywhere! I can't say he's a close friend or anything, but a bit of a pal - we've appeared onstage together a few times at least. He was also the "Todd Rundgren" at the Nazz semi-reunion a few years ago (with original drummer Thom Mooney, who I consider a friend though I haven't seen him in years).

Anyway, I presume you saw him play with multiple bands...he tends to do that. :D I've been following his Facebook posts - glad you're both having fun.

Not a big 'cruise' guy, but if I ever did one it'd probably be that one - I know Strawbs have played them a couple times.

Fernando did spread himself everywhere, playing with Dave Kerzner, the McBroom Sisters, Nektar bit also having his own gig with the Out To Sea-band, promoting his own material.
You'll find he no longer has his signature hat as he donated this to a charity auction on board for Casey MacPherson.

Good to hear. I really hated that hat thing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 21 Jun 2022, 19:21

I saw Nine Inch Nails in Glasgow last week. Venue 2,500. Absolutely blistering. Covered songs from all over the catalogue.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Samoan

Re: Return of the live gigs

Postby Samoan » 24 Jun 2022, 13:10

I think you're all misguided - although not to the same extreme as the tens of thousands heading to Glastonbury this weekend for The Michael Eavis plaudit parade.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61923316

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/24/covid-infections-last-week-levels-continue-rise-uk?
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 26 Jun 2022, 11:57

thanks Mum
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Jun 2022, 14:02

Kraftwerk were on their usual great form in Austin last night. An unexpected but much welcomed hours long thunderstorm broke a couple of hours before the show, so the audience contained a lot of drenched old nerds. Some young kids were seeing them for the first time- a five year old near me kept putting his hands up to try and catch all the 3D notes. Fucking great, as always. I'll keep on going to see them long after they're dead. I am sure Ralf has made some provision for that.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 28 Jun 2022, 22:36

Johnny Echols and the Love Band at the Brudenell on Sunday night. Fantastic and such an enthusiastic audience. Did my heart good.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 13 Jul 2022, 20:39

Going to see George Clinton "Funkadelic Parliament One Nation Under a Groove" 07/20 at the House of Blues in Houston. Very much looking forward to that, but not as much to the Gov't Mule concert at the 713-Music Hall on Oct. 28h.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 14 Jul 2022, 14:49

Chic at Bristol harbourside last night. One massive disco party. Fab U Lous darlings.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 15 Jul 2022, 03:19

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Kraftwerk were on their usual great form in Austin last night. An unexpected but much welcomed hours long thunderstorm broke a couple of hours before the show, so the audience contained a lot of drenched old nerds. Some young kids were seeing them for the first time- a five year old near me kept putting his hands up to try and catch all the 3D notes. Fucking great, as always. I'll keep on going to see them long after they're dead. I am sure Ralf has made some provision for that.

Great show as usual from Kraftwerk saw them last month front row at Radio City. Originally on the end but after the 4 song moved up to almost center as the speaker was really getting to me. There was a young girl(6 or 7) dancing in the aisle next to me.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 15 Jul 2022, 03:29

Took my brother to see Sigur Ros at the Beacon Theatre, he actually introduced me to them back in the mid 90's. He had never seen them live and I've been seeing them every tour since late 90's including opening with Bjork, a intermate show at MOMA. They were amazing with the return of Kjartan although not as good as those 00's shows. My brother couldn't handle the light show something I've got to remember that he can't handle, had the same problem with Explosions in the Sky.

They always kill the finally

Jonsi and Bow

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 02 Sep 2022, 03:26

Bunch of great shows this summer:
Courtney Barnett at Radio City was a blast again in my cover front row seat which turned into front row center again. Ran into Brooklyn Vegan photographer just as Courtney went into a talk about her first show in America stating she was jet lag and played an afternoon show which I went too(remember her being jet lag too). I stated the concert to the photographer who said he was there too (several others too like with Wilco) .

The opening act was a band from Philly, Kasmir, with an interesting singer. Courtney put on a stellar show. Now that she has several albums her shows have no filler. Besides one of her songs she did with her song with Kurt Vile "On Script" she played the best of her catalog. She still brings that energy along with her band.

Shamir

Courtney
Last edited by Hightea on 02 Sep 2022, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 02 Sep 2022, 03:38

Rarely get a chance to see an afternoon show at the Blue Note so didn't turn it down when my friend offered to go. NEellie McKay was the performer and she never disappoints. If you don't know her she is a quirky sassy gal from Manhattan via London. She did a great cat song and loved her stand up bass player.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 02 Sep 2022, 03:59

Next up was a new jazz night at Central Park's Summer Stage

First up was Makaya McCraven anf his band. Makaya is the drummer and I thought their performance was groovy.

Next up was Sons of Kermet a band I've wanted to see along with their other projects. Shabaka Hutchings is the leader (also of Comet is Coming) on sax along with a killer on Tuba and the drummer, Tom Skinner, who is now playing in The Smile with Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 02 Sep 2022, 04:23

After seeing posts about how amazing Rage against the Machine was at there four night stand at MSG I got pulled into going. Picking up a stub hub ticket can sometimes be interesting and this was one of them. I got to my seat and saw it was between a girl bigger than me and a guy in a mask and sort of creepy looking. I walked by and took a seat in a row a few rows down. After stating I will not sit in my original seat it worked out. I've been to 50+ MSG shows but rarely do you get the entire audience standing for the whole show. The crowd was insane as was RATM. Singing their anthems over the Garden crowd just works along with the video and light show. Tom smoked on guitar.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 02 Sep 2022, 15:44

Only managed 6 gigs last year due to Covid. This year has been better but still a bit slow:

Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard

Ghost

Nick Mason’s Saucerful Of Secrets

Rumours Of Fleetwood Mac (FM cover band)

The Unthanks

Alice Cooper

Elvis Costello and The Imposters

Frank Carducci and The Fantastic Squad

His Lordship

James Yorkston and Nina Persson with The Second Hand Orchestra

Dirty Harry (Blondie cover band)

Ezra Furman

Sorry about the size of the photos. I don't know how to make them smaller.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 03 Sep 2022, 14:26

Great shots!

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 03 Sep 2022, 14:56

Hugh wrote:Image

Elvis Costello and The Imposters

I see he's changed his look again.

Great pics Hugh.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 03 Sep 2022, 18:21

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
I see he's changed his look again.

The Safari Jacket Years

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 05 Sep 2022, 14:05

I finally got to see Wand, a band I really like, but I've always somehow missed in the past. I think they're at a peak right now, with what I assume is a tour for their 2019 record, delayed by the pandemic. They played two long sets with no opener, just the liquid light show thing. They have evolved from one of the Ty Segall affiliated garage-psych bands into my kind of jam band. They're doing a decent sized US tour right now. Wish I could go to more dates.

This is somewhat representative.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Yakety Yak”