Wouldn't Mind At All

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Wouldn't Mind At All

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 May 2022, 11:26

Go on then, have at it, I don't mind at all:

Sandmen - one of the better Danish bands. 8-)
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Charlie O.

Re: Wouldn't Mind At All

Postby Charlie O. » 05 May 2022, 16:57

Are you sure this isn't an Oasis b-side?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 May 2022, 06:58

Charlie O. wrote:Are you sure this isn't an Oasis b-side?

You'd pooh pooh anything from Denmark.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 May 2022, 07:09

GoogaMooga wrote:

I've given you no reason to assume that. I once even bought an album by Gasolin'. It didn't sound like Oasis b-sides.

Anyway, if you're going to say "have at it, I don't mind at all," you have to expect that people will take you up on your invitation.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 May 2022, 07:13

Charlie O. wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:

I've given you no reason to assume that. I once even bought an album by Gasolin'. It didn't sound like Oasis b-sides.

Anyway, if you're going to say "have at it, I don't mind at all," you have to expect that people will take you up on your invitation.

Okay. Well, an Oasis b-side is not the worst thing you can aspire to. So what's wrong with this number?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 May 2022, 07:56

I'll throw the question back at you: what makes it special? Aside from the fact that it's Danish.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 May 2022, 08:44

Charlie O. wrote:I'll throw the question back at you: what makes it special? Aside from the fact that it's Danish.

I am not promoting it because it is Danish, that would be silly. It's probably not even their best, but it's just a nice song, hook-filled, well played - even the lyrics are okay, from what I can hear. Plenty of indy bands would kill to write a tune like that. When I think of all the tuneless, indy landfill that gets a mention on BCB, the Sandmen have got nothing to be ashamed of. Now it's your turn. ;)

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 06 May 2022, 15:54

GoogaMooga wrote:When I think of all the tuneless, indy landfill that gets a mention on BCB

Such as ?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 May 2022, 15:59

Pavement. I try to forget them all.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 06 May 2022, 16:29

GoogaMooga wrote:Go on then, have at it, I don't mind at all

GoogaMooga wrote:Pavement. I try to forget them all.

Well personally I think Charlie is right, it does sound a LOT like an Oasis b-side, a band you could never accuse of being overly original in the first place, and I would take anything Pavement recorded over the song you posted. Its not terrible, just not something that grabs me.

"Well played with ok lyrics" is not exactly something thats going to jump out at anyone is it ?

You DID ask.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 May 2022, 17:06

Mike Boom wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Go on then, have at it, I don't mind at all

GoogaMooga wrote:Pavement. I try to forget them all.

Well personally I think Charlie is right, it does sound a LOT like an Oasis b-side, a band you could never accuse of being overly original in the first place, and I would take anything Pavement recorded over the song you posted. Its not terrible, just not something that grabs me.

"Well played with ok lyrics" is not exactly something thats going to jump out at anyone is it ?

You DID ask.

I don't think I wrote that anywhere in the thread. I didn't expect it to jump out at anyone like that, it's just a nice song. Must everything jump out and grab you? Wouldn't accuse Pavement of doing that. Oasis are better than Sandmen, though.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 06 May 2022, 17:25

GoogaMooga wrote:Must everything jump out and grab you? Wouldn't accuse Pavement of doing that

Well yes actually, thats exactly what I look for in music, something that stands out to me , if you want to buy and listen to mediocre music thats up to you, personally I find plenty of stuff that actually excites me or interests me for some reason to listen to, why waste your time listening to a lot of average stuff ? Pavement for instance have their own sound, things like "Gold Soundz" and "Cut Your Hair" certainly stood out to me when I first heard them as something new and interesting.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 May 2022, 19:00

Because I think Sandmen are above average. It doesn't have to be all five star music, I'd burn out. It's gotta be above average or, like you say, have something interesting about it. If you like Pavement's schtick, that's good for you. I like Sandmen because they are consistently above average, maybe not the highest bar, but they maintain a certain standard throughout with the bar that they have set themselves. They don't dip.

Return to “Yakety Yak”