Eric Clapton - Thoughts?

Do talk back
robertff

Eric Clapton - Thoughts?

Postby robertff » 29 Apr 2022, 12:23

Started this one on Reap Corner but thought it might be interesting to begin a thread. We might have done this before but I can't remember, so here it is anyway.

Where do you stand with Eric?

From blues purist, to God, to psychedelic mainman, to self-effacing sideman to others, to drug addled alcoholic, to reluctant frontman, to hugely popular solo artist and back again to the blues purist and so on …………. where do you stand with Eric?

I love this album, love some of his others as well and he has certainly produced the goods in his long career but in his Derek and the D. guise it was one of the worst gigs I have ever been to.

I know he has upset people with some of the things he has said and done but disregarding that what about the music? Is he a wasted talent, or did he do it all in the 60s and have nothing left to prove so he didn't? Is he a good song writer although he does do a lot of covers? What are his albums, either as part of a group or solo, that you really like, if any?

What do you think?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Eric Clapton - Thoughts?

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 29 Apr 2022, 14:07

Consider me a lukewarm fan of his solo stuff. I have many of his albums mainly because I got them cheap and I could distill a crackin' best-of off those.
But I couldn't be without the Derek and the Unplugged albums.

Some, the JJ Cale and the BB King ones, are not for me.

And that double live he did with Steve Winwood is also indispensable and proves what Blind Faith could have been if they threw out Ginger Baker.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Apr 2022, 14:38

I assume you're not just talking about his solo albums, but asking for our opinions regarding his '60s stuff as well - because that's what's interesting about him. I came to the conclusion recently that Clapton was the number two guitar player in rock from '64 or so up through 1970, second only to Jimi Hendrix. I based this theory on his albums during those years. Since whenever any marginally original thought deigns to make an appearance in my aging, substance-abused head I rush off to BCB to proclaim my assertions, I'm sure I've posted this here in the not too distant past. But since Dr robert has taken the time to solicit our grumblings re Slowhand with this soon-to-be fine thread, I'll lay it out again:

1964 - Five Live Yardbirds (Can you think of another live rock album from this time that was better?)
1965 - For Your Love (Underrated compilation with half Clapton, half Beck.)
1966 - Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton & Fresh Cream (C'mon, he really takes the lead here)
1967 - Disraeli Gears (Best guitar LP of that year except for Are You Experienced)
1968 - Wheels of Fire (The live stuff takes some getting used to, but the thing is - it was tremendously influential at the time)
1969 - Goodbye, Blind Faith, Live Peace in Toronto 1969 I like all these to varying degrees, with the Blind Faith being king of the hill. Gotta give it to Page that year though for the first two Zeppelin albums)
1970 - Live Cream Vol. 1, On Tour with Delaney and Bonnie, Eric Clapton, & Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (Layla is the guitar record of the year to these ears)

Electric Ladyland would be tops in '68, giving Hendrix the prize two years in a row, but Eric might win most of those other years. His solo stuff is fine, with a handful of LPs being quite good, but mostly you have to cherry-pick the quality cuts from them.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 29 Apr 2022, 15:14

Never been a big fan, in any shape or form. Can't sing to save his live, above average axeman, below average songwriter. Has been standing on the shoulders of giants, with lots of support. I actually bought the Ocean Blvd album back in the 75 or 76. The reason was that I thought EC's Eyesight for the Blind" in the Tommy movie was one of its highlights. I didn't like it very much. Don't think it should be considered a solo album, even. His musical input isn't very dominant. The album survives despite his presence. Maybe could have been a decent one without EC and with the "Sherriff appearing on it.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

robertff

Postby robertff » 29 Apr 2022, 15:37

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Consider me a lukewarm fan of his solo stuff. I have many of his albums mainly because I got them cheap and I could distill a crackin' best-of off those.

And that double live he did with Steve Winwood is also indispensable and proves what Blind Faith could have been if they threw out Ginger Baker.

Definitely agree with almost everything you have said there, particularly the live double he did with Steve Winwood - what could have been, what could have been. Didn’t Baker more or less push his way into Blind Faith?

Last edited by robertff on 29 Apr 2022, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

robertff

Postby robertff » 29 Apr 2022, 15:39

Forgot that ai had this set, pretty good distillation of EC up to a certain time. One of the first of the career type CD box sets I think - helped to rekindle his career I understand.

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Apr 2022, 16:14

I am a bit of snob when it comes to Clapton's 'solo' albums

I loved Cream - adored them. They could be as overblown and their own arses/asses as they liked.

Wheels of Fire is a monster of a record as is Goodbye and the two Live albums (Volumes 1 and 2)

That's how I loved my Cream. Long, meandering - awesome

I'm So Glad from Goodbye sums them and me up!

I loved Clapton's playing - he was red-hot adjust my style

Then came the marvellous Blind Faith - what record?

I have no problem with Peter but yes, he muscled his way in, and I for one wouldn't want torque with him

Suffice to say I love his tubs.

Yes, sadly they didn't make a second album but that was never going to happen hen 'tensions' were running so high

I suppose we had the eponymous Eric Clapton album and Layla both of which I like but were a bit tame from the grittier stuff that I previously listened too - that may have been naive as it was to be expected.

Then came the stuff I couldn't touch with a bargepole - 461 onwards.

[My brother bought them all - I own none of them {my loss I know}]

It just wasn't what I wanted to hear particularly from one of my rock heroes.

Motherless Children, Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, Wonderful Tonight, I Shot Sherrif.

Come on....? Not to my taste

At least EC Was Here - the Iive one, was worth having

To me , and it remains, that type of blues-pop is not my thing.

It's well known I'm not a massive blues man but Clapton's 'solo' albums don't hit the spot

[The Winwood/Clapton album is excellent]

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Apr 2022, 16:22

I haven't got all the solo albums, but I do own quite a few. Clapton's "mother" liked "Wonderful Tonight", but I could really do without that one on "Slowhand".
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Apr 2022, 16:23

Crossroads was indeed the first career-spanning box set for a major artist. 1986, was it?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Apr 2022, 16:24

He is most assuredly not God.

robertff

Postby robertff » 29 Apr 2022, 16:50

GoogaMooga wrote:He is most assuredly not God.

In fairness to EC Googa he never said that he was, others decided to call him that.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Apr 2022, 16:53

robertff wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:He is most assuredly not God.

In fairness to EC Googa he never said that he was, others decided to call him that.

Yes, it was painted graffiti in London in the late 60s.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 29 Apr 2022, 17:11

I grew up with the received wisdom that he was a guitar god and willingly bought into that for a while. Taken over the course of his entire career though, I have had to conclude that he is massively overrated.

Yes, the Bluesbreakers album is great and I’m sure he was mesmerising to see live at that time, Cream were no doubt great at the time but it was before my time and I have never truly warmed to them. Likewise, Blind Faith although I enjoyed the album when we did it as a synch listen. I love about 90% of the Layla album. After that, it’s very slim pickings from across his solo albums.

I saw him live twice. Once when Albert Lee and Gary Brooker were the best things about the gig and a few years later when Albert Lee and Donald “Duck” Dunn were the best things about the gig.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Apr 2022, 17:24

GoogaMooga wrote:Crossroads was indeed the first career-spanning box set for a major artist. 1986, was it?

No, Dylan's Biograph was '85, and there was a complete Buddy Holly box on vinyl in the late '70s.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 29 Apr 2022, 18:06

robertff wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:Consider me a lukewarm fan of his solo stuff. I have many of his albums mainly because I got them cheap and I could distill a crackin' best-of off those.

Definitely agree with almost everything you have said there, particularly the live double he did with Steve Winwood - what could have been, what could have been. Didn’t Baker more or less push his way into Blind Faith?

Yes. Baker heard about Eric and Steve getting together, went to a rehearsal and said I'm in. Nobody would dare to say no.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 30 Apr 2022, 08:53

I like a handful of his tracks - Layla is the standout.
But I am not sure he is rehabilitated even now, is he?

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 30 Apr 2022, 09:30

Hugh wrote:I saw him live twice. Once when Albert Lee and Gary Brooker were the best things about the gig and a few years later when Albert Lee and Donald “Duck” Dunn were the best things about the gig.

Now that made me chuckle... I'm way more interested in Albert Lee myself!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 30 Apr 2022, 16:11

Matt Wilson wrote:1964 - Five Live Yardbirds (Can you think of another live rock album from this time that was better?)

But basically, I'm more or less with Matt - I adore the Mayall and Cream stuff (studio and live), and his stint with the Yardbirds was nothing to sneeze at (though I'd say they really caught fire with Beck). Blind Faith is singularly underwhelming to me, but the Layla album is one of those rare doubles that really needed to be a double.

Beyond that, as others have said - it's cherry-pickin' time.

I'll also mention that his autobiography is well-written - I really enjoyed the chapters on his growing-up years - though he then proceeded to give short shrift to the bands I'm most interested in reading about. Then again, considering how long he was with each of those bands (not long at all), I guess that shouldn't be surprising.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Apr 2022, 17:19

Yeah, that Jerry Lee album is smokin'!

cheifwhat

Postby cheifwhat » 30 Apr 2022, 18:19

To quote someone else

I have a joke about Eric Clapton but it's overrated and pretty racist
Mostly dancing sir,...

Return to “Yakety Yak”