Firing round

Do talk back
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Firing round

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 21 Jun 2022, 10:38

GoogaMooga wrote:After careful deliberation (well, after having played most of a "Very Best of" comp), I have decided to get rid of Elvis Costello. I am not really enjoying his music any more - in fact, I don't think I was ever overly enthused about him. I just kidded myself into thinking I would like him, that he was the sort of artist that belonged in my collection. Well, to hell with dutiful listening, I don't need him in my life. Give me beautiful over dutiful. He's not a very good singer and his songs sound too spiky, as if he sings in stabs and thrusts. He's got no mojo, no groove whatsoever.

I've got six albums, and they have all got to go:

The Very Best of Elvis Costello
Brutal Youth
Spike
Mighty Like a Rose
The Best of - The First 10 Years
There's also the Bacharach collaboration, "Painted From Memory", that may have to go as well. If I want geek rock, I'll play Buddy Holly.

Now you're talking! :D
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 21 Jun 2022, 12:24

GoogaMooga wrote:After careful deliberation (well, after having played most of a "Very Best of" comp), I have decided to get rid of Elvis Costello. I am not really enjoying his music any more - in fact, I don't think I was ever overly enthused about him. I just kidded myself into thinking I would like him, that he was the sort of artist that belonged in my collection. Well, to hell with dutiful listening, I don't need him in my life. Give me beautiful over dutiful. He's not a very good singer and his songs sound too spiky, as if he sings in stabs and thrusts. He's got no mojo, no groove whatsoever.

Brutal Youth
Spike
Mighty Like a Rose
There's also the Bacharach collaboration, "Painted From Memory", that may have to go as well. If I want geek rock, I'll play Buddy Holly.

If you don't like him then there's no more to be said but you seem to be basing your opinion on a rum choice of albums. The first four albums are all terrific. You seem to have picked up where he dropped off.
Bugger off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Jun 2022, 14:18

Rorschach wrote:

Brutal Youth
Spike
Mighty Like a Rose

If you don't like him then there's no more to be said but you seem to be basing your opinion on a rum choice of albums. The first four albums are all terrific. You seem to have picked up where he dropped off.

So I've been told. The years with the Attractions were the best. I just picked up whatever I could find for 50 pence.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 21 Jun 2022, 14:19

Rorschach wrote:

Brutal Youth is one of his absolute best.
We're way past rhubarb

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 21 Jun 2022, 14:22

The Fish wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

Brutal Youth is one of his absolute best.

What do you know!? You're a fish.
Bugger off.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 21 Jun 2022, 15:40

Rorschach wrote:
What do you know!? You're a fish.

We're way past rhubarb

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 22 Jun 2022, 07:37

:)
Bugger off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Jun 2022, 13:42

I am getting rid of The Chemical Brothers! Just finished listening to the 2 CD set, "The Singles 93 - 03", and it's a relief that it is over. If that's the best they have to offer, I want no part of it anymore. Chemical Brothers had their big breakthrough in 1995, with the album "Exit Planet Dust". I remember Zilth Pilchards buying that album new; we thought it was really cutting edge. But in reality it is empty music, very stressful and very grating. They call it "dance" music, but to these ears it is just like techno - busy, frenetic beats and a glaring lack of tunes. It may work in a modern club context, for hyper-ventilating dancers E'd up to the gills. But as sit down music? Not a chance. Luckily I bought all their stuff at knock down prices in thrift or at flea markets. I am sure Zilth Pilchards never bought any other albums by them. Didn't they collaborate with Noel Gallagher at one point? You never hear Noel talking about that now.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

robertff

Postby robertff » 27 Jun 2022, 14:07

GoogaMooga wrote:I am getting rid of The Chemical Brothers! Just finished listening to the 2 CD set, "The Singles 93 - 03", and it's a relief that it is over. If that's the best they have to offer, I want no part of it anymore. Chemical Brothers had their big breakthrough in 1995, with the album "Exit Planet Dust". I remember Zilth Pilchards buying that album new; we thought it was really cutting edge. But in reality it is empty music, very stressful and very grating. They call it "dance" music, but to these ears it is just like techno - busy, frenetic beats and a glaring lack of tunes. It may work in a modern club context, for hyper-ventilating dancers E'd up to the gills. But as sit down music? Not a chance. Luckily I bought all their stuff at knock down prices in thrift or at flea markets. I am sure Zilth Pilchards never bought any other albums by them. Didn't they collaborate with Noel Gallagher at one point? You never hear Noel talking about that now.

I wouldn't have bought that in the first place or anything else by them for that matter.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Jun 2022, 14:25

robertff wrote:I wouldn't have bought that in the first place or anything else by them for that matter.

Wise decision.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Sep 2022, 21:43

I've been busy of late; here's what I have got rid of in the past couple of weeks:

Six Was Nine
José Carreras
Take 6
Hothouse Flowers
John Farnham
The Cattlemen
Steve Earle
LCD Soundsystem
Lars Berghagen
Joe Satriani
Ben Harper
Troels Trier & Rebecca Brüel
United Future Organization
Christina Aguilera
Titiyo
Haircut One Hundred
Youssou N'Dour
Boomkat
Montrose
The Pogues
Ozzy Osbourne (he's got a few good ones, but Sabs are enough)
Erasure (oh, l'amour)
Sergio Franchi
Darleens
Lise Reinau
Ian Brown

... good riddance to all.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 24 Sep 2022, 21:47

I thought you got rid of BCB too.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 24 Sep 2022, 22:17

But we're all so happy you're back.
Chucking away Ben Harper, Jose Carreras, Steve Earle etc. in one fell swoop and owning up to it takes a lot of courage.
and Sergio Franchi, no less. Who he? No, don't bother.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

robertff

Postby robertff » 25 Sep 2022, 14:41

GoogaMooga wrote:I've been busy of late; here's what I have got rid of in the past couple of weeks:

Six Was Nine
José Carreras
Take 6
Hothouse Flowers
John Farnham
The Cattlemen
Steve Earle
LCD Soundsystem
Lars Berghagen
Joe Satriani
Ben Harper
Troels Trier & Rebecca Brüel
United Future Organization
Christina Aguilera
Titiyo
Haircut One Hundred
Youssou N'Dour
Boomkat
Montrose
The Pogues
Ozzy Osbourne (he's got a few good ones, but Sabs are enough)
Erasure (oh, l'amour)
Sergio Franchi
Darleens
Lise Reinau
Ian Brown

... good riddance to all.

Wouldn’t argue with any of that lot Googa.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Sep 2022, 14:54

robertff wrote:
Wouldn’t argue with any of that lot Googa.

Fortunately I paid no more than 50 pence for each CD, I'd never have paid full price for them. :) That's the problem with thrift shop CD's, because they are so cheap, you are more willing to take chances.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 22 Oct 2022, 08:03

I am firing UB40 and Daft Punk. UB40 don't sound authentic enough, they aren't rootsy. Their biggest hits were covers, anyway, and the originals are so much better in every case. UB40 are yer typical thrift shop reggae, even more than petrol station Marley. As for Daft Punk, I used to think they were refreshingly cool. Now they just sound repetitive and mildly annoying. They really don't hold up very well. Tub-thumpers at heart.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Oct 2022, 23:00

I am firing P!nk (sic) - coarse and crass shout pop, very tiresome.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Oct 2022, 14:51

LCD Soundsystem are fabulous, you muppet.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Nov 2022, 07:26

I am firing Sheryl Crow. Nine times Grammy winner Sheryl Crow. She has released eleven (!) studio albums, of which I own a fair number, thanks to the knock-down prices at the thrift shops. We all thought she was a hip alternative to Alanis Morisette when she broke big in the mid-90's, but then again we accepted all sorts of crap back then that hasn't stood the test of time. "All I Wanna Do" was breezy and lightweight compared with the anguished songs of Alanis. But really, Crow isn't that much better, her songs just sort of coast along, and even the Bond song is a snore, everyone knows the k.d. Lang song is the real gem on the OST of "Tomorrow Never Dies".

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Nov 2022, 18:05

Now I've gone ahead and fired Liz Mitchell and Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers. I am on a roll.

Return to “Yakety Yak”