A Love Supreme Live in Seattle

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

A Love Supreme Live in Seattle

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Nov 2021, 20:44

A newly discovered live recording of John Coltrane's masterpiece, "A Love Supreme", Live in Seattle from 1965! With an extended line-up that features Pharaoh Sanders on tenor sax! I never knew that Trane performed the whole album live. Looks like a must!

amazon.com:

This newly discovered live-recording of a performance of the Love Supreme suite is a revelation. Recorded at The Penthouse in Seattle on October 2, 1965, this recording transports the listener to a prime seat for piece of musical history. While not studio-quality audio, the power of the performance shines through. This version is also of the full suite and features an expanded band that includes the same Classic Quartet and Pharoah Sanders in his first official gig as part of Coltrane's group.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 16 Nov 2021, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

C
Robust

Re: A Love Supreme Live in Seattle

Postby C » 15 Nov 2021, 19:39

GoogaMooga wrote:A newly discovered live recording of John Coltane's masterpiece, "A Love Supreme", Live in Seattle from 1965! With an extended line-up that features Pharaoh Sanders on tenor sax! I never knew that Trane performed the whole album live. Looks like a must!

amazon.com:

This newly discovered live-recording of a performance of the Love Supreme suite is a revelation. Recorded at The Penthouse in Seattle on October 2, 1965, this recording transports the listener to a prime seat for piece of musical history. While not studio-quality audio, the power of the performance shines through. This version is also of the full suite and features an expanded band that includes the same Classic Quartet and Pharoah Sanders in his first official gig as part of Coltrane's group.

Excellent!

Let's hope the sound quality is good!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 16 Nov 2021, 23:11

it's brilliant
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Nov 2021, 23:26

13% one star reviews on Amazon (that's high)

* nice if you are into archiving. but its not very listenable. the horns are way in the background.

* Was looking forward to this historic live recording and was very disappointed with the sound on CD.

* When I listened to it, the sound was not clear at all, and the whole was veiled, and I was worried that my audio device had gone wrong. The drums and piano are loud, but they are {?}, and the important Coltrane saxophone is almost never heard as if they were playing in the next room.

* Considering this is an amateur live recording on 1/4 inch, it’s understandable that the sound will not be "studio quality". However, Coltrane's sound is completely buried. I would rate the mix as horrible. Too bad that an historic session was ruined.

* Not at all what I expected. Love Miles Davis and collaborations with John Coltrane. Too much percussion, not enough pure saxophone...

* I understand that this is a live recording and it is historically important. Nonetheless, it sounds like everything was recorded through one drum microphone. The drums are quite prominent (good if you like Elvin Jones) and Coltrane is far in the sonic background and at times almost impossible to hear. I could only bear to listen to it once.

* really disappointed. sound quality is terrible.

* But this was a major disappointment. It's just too avant garde for my ears and the the drums and piano are really to the front of the mix making Coltrane sound like he playing off stage,

* but unfortunately Coltrane's sax is barely heard, while Elvin Jones dominates everyone. Really bad recording,

* when the saxophone behind the drums and piano is sometimes barely audible, and when there is a high noise in the last part that torments your ears that you can't be sure whether the recording is buzzing or a completely washed-out and too loud one {?}, then I just can't enjoy this release. In some cases, this is nothing more than bootleg quality.

I think I'll pass

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 17 Nov 2021, 00:05

62 % 5 star reviews
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 Nov 2021, 17:30

Jimbly wrote:62 % 5 star reviews

That's quite low.

I will give it. listen on Qobuz and make up my own mind!

[I'm not holding my breath though - I'm not a patient person when it comes to sound/balance...]

:D

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 18 Nov 2021, 10:50

Jones was the next best thing on the studio cuts, so this will be a treat
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Six String

Postby Six String » 18 Nov 2021, 18:09

I’m passing on this. I only know the studio version
I’m ok with that. As much as I love Elvin I don’t want him up front in the mix.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Yakety Yak”