In defense of trash

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

In defense of trash

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Apr 2021, 13:03

Yes, I listen to trash. I don't like the term "guilty pleasure", there is nothing to feel guilty about. Who is to judge? We all know that my arch nemesis is a fiercely intelligent man with unquestionably good taste, a man who will go to great lengths to assert his moral, ethical, intellectual, and aesthetic superiority over all mere mortals, a man who is granted diplomatic immunity even as he tears through the china shop, destroying everything in his way. Yes, I listen to trash. I love music. But I wouldn't pay top dollar for everything. To me, the fun is in the hunt, the search for buried treasure. If I find fool's gold in my prospecting, so be it. I got an adventure out of it, and I can move on. And remember this: what is celebrated today, may be scorned tomorrow. Will The Fall stand the test of time?

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Re: In defense of trash

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 05 Apr 2021, 13:35

GoogaMooga wrote:Will The Fall stand the test of time?

Yes.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Apr 2021, 13:38

Dr. Baron wrote:

Yes.

To paraphrase myself, "Who am I to judge?" :)
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 05 Apr 2021, 13:38

Now that's the discerning music listeners choice of good trash.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Apr 2021, 13:43

Got them, seen them live. :)

robertff

Postby robertff » 05 Apr 2021, 14:42

You like what you like Googa, why concern yourself with what others think? We all like what we like don’t we, sometimes it is liked by many others, sometimes by none but who cares? No need to defend your taste or apologise for it.

As much as I like the Fall, I’m not sure they’ll stand the test of time, much like a very large percentage of ‘popular’ music.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Apr 2021, 14:47

robertff wrote:You like what you like Googa, why concern yourself with what others think? We all like what we like don’t we, sometimes it is liked by many others, sometimes by none but who cares? No need to defend your taste or apologise for it.

As much as I like the Fall, I’m not sure they’ll stand the test of time, much like a very large percentage of ‘popular’ music.

Maybe you'd feel the need to defend, too, if you had been trolled for nine years. But other than that, I agree with what you say.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Apr 2021, 14:48

We always thought, well, at least the Beatles will be played in 100 years. But no, their star is fading now, the kids don't care. And Elvis is ancient history.

robertff

Postby robertff » 05 Apr 2021, 14:51

GoogaMooga wrote:
robertff wrote:You like what you like Googa, why concern yourself with what others think? We all like what we like don’t we, sometimes it is liked by many others, sometimes by none but who cares? No need to defend your taste or apologise for it.

Maybe you'd feel the need to defend, too, if you had been trolled for nine years. But other than that, I agree with what you say.

I understand what you say Googa but I think the more you defend yourself to this sort of thing the more it continues. Best to ignore perhaps and not rise to the bait?

robertff

Postby robertff » 05 Apr 2021, 15:07

Elvis’ popularity was always going to decline for a variety or reasons, primarily because he didn’t write his own music and he was a pawn but check out the percentage of young people streaming Beatles’ music and the quantity streamed, they’re not disappearing anytime soon. The 50th anniversary issue of Abbey Road, reached no. 3 on the Billboard chart, not bad going for a 50 year old record.

They might well be yesterday’s news in 100 years’ time though.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Apr 2021, 18:05

robertff wrote:Elvis’ popularity was always going to decline for a variety or reasons, primarily because he didn’t write his own music and he was a pawn but check out the percentage of young people streaming Beatles’ music and the quantity streamed, they’re not disappearing anytime soon. The 50th anniversary issue of Abbey Road, reached no. 3 on the Billboard chart, not bad going for a 50 year old record.

They might well be yesterday’s news in 100 years’ time though.

Oh yes, there is more mileage in the Fabs yet. But 100 years from now, I am not so sure.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 06 Apr 2021, 02:04

They never even passed the test, never mind the test of time.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 06 Apr 2021, 02:06

GoogaMooga wrote:We always thought, well, at least the Beatles will be played in 100 years. But no, their star is fading now, the kids don't care. And Elvis is ancient history.

I disagree abut the Beatles. I notice young generations enjoying their songs a lot even if they're not fully aware of who the Beatles are.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Apr 2021, 06:24

trans-chigley express wrote:

They never even passed the test, never mind the test of time.

8-)

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 06 Apr 2021, 09:08

Dr. Baron wrote:

Yes.

Shouldn't that be: yes-ah
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 06 Apr 2021, 14:15

never/ever wrote:

Now that's the discerning music listeners choice of good trash.

Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Return to “Yakety Yak”