Which major genre in your collection do you listen to the least?

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Which major genre in your collection do you listen to the least?

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Nov 2020, 22:31

Classical. Basically good for reading or quiet reflection. I probably own upwards of a thousand, but I am hanging on to them for now. It's tempting to dump them all at Accord, but there are times when I play them. And I've got all the major works, best labels, finest orchestras, best conductors. They will go into the basement now, so I can make room for the foundation collection from my time in Tokyo, which is still at my parents' house. It's eleven years since I moved into my council flat, and I miss them. I've culled 700 other CD's, boring artists like John Mayer, and borderline petrol station like Disky, and they are all going to Accord. With those gone and the classical in basement storage, I should be able to fit in my foundation collection (4,000 CD's).

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Which major genre in your collection do you listen to the least?

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 Nov 2020, 23:03

I don't own any classical. The little I had was taken by my ex-wife 25 years ago. I don't miss it.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Six String

Postby Six String » 26 Nov 2020, 23:29

Classical for me too though with classical my listening goes in waves so I can ignore it for months and then listen to a lot of it over a few days before putting it on the back burner again. The one major genre I own nothing is opera. I have been to one opera in my life and it wasn’t traditional (Akhnaten by Philip Glass). The only reason I went was a family friend of my gf at the time had season tickets for the Houston Opera and they weren’t interested. I fell asleep halfway through of course.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Nov 2020, 23:34

Walk In My Shadow wrote:I don't own any classical. The little I had was taken by my ex-wife 25 years ago. I don't miss it.

Ironically, I only came back to classical when I moved to the council flat eleven years ago. I listened to classical in my teens, but then rejected it for many years (a sort of youthful rebellion), then dipped in when I could find them in thrift for 50 pence. I started out with Carmina Burana, because it is so accessible, then moved on, picking up key works for peanuts. Never paid full price for any classical and I never will.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Nov 2020, 23:35

Six String wrote:Classical for me too though with classical my listening goes in waves so I can ignore it for months and then listen to a lot of it over a few days before putting it on the back burner again. The one major genre I own nothing is opera. I have been to one opera in my life and it wasn’t traditional (Akhnaten by Philip Glass). The only reason I went was a family friend of my gf at the time had season tickets for the Houston Opera and they weren’t interested. I fell asleep halfway through of course.

My feelings, too. Own one opera, Carmen, the only one I can stand. I've also got the tenors doing pop or Neapolitan.

robertff

Postby robertff » 27 Nov 2020, 07:43

I've got two or three classical records but never play them, a few reggae records by a very well known reggae artist which I rarely play, some jazz records which I like a lot and play now and again and the rest is mainly rock/pop which I play constantly.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Nov 2020, 00:04

After much deliberation I have decided to sell/trade my classical CD's. I can't really get emotionally involved when I play them. And if they go down in the basement, I am afraid I'll never play them again. I am keeping five:

Carl Orff - Carmina Burana
Rodrigo - Concierto de Arunjuez
Gade - Tango Jalousie
Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue
Satie - Gymnopedies

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Nov 2020, 21:31

GoogaMooga wrote:Satie - Gymnopedies

Hardly classical Googs

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Nov 2020, 21:56

C wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Satie - Gymnopedies

Hardly classical Googs

Wallpaper music, then.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 29 Nov 2020, 20:24

Probably reggae, though ska is a different story.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Yakety Yak”