Hi-fi

Do talk back
Brickyard Jack

Hi-fi

Postby Brickyard Jack » 25 Nov 2020, 11:45

Is the concept of hi-fi dead, or at least largely dead?

I do have decent audio equipment, but these find myself listening to music on the computer, or my ipod or some other gadget (Alexa in my case) which may not have two speakers, and these days loads of stuff isn't released physically anymore, so are the reproductive qualities of you kit less important? Or did the concept of hi-fi die with the arrival of digital recording?
Or should I be buying a flash piece of stream-playing kit?

Help me. The old certainties are disappearing.

C
Robust

Re: Hi-fi

Postby C » 25 Nov 2020, 11:58

Positive Passion wrote:Is the concept of hi-fi dead, or at least largely dead?

I do have decent audio equipment, but these find myself listening to music on the computer, or my ipod or some other gadget (Alexa in my case).

What....?!

Sacrilege

Burn that lad at the stake

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 25 Nov 2020, 12:04

Hi fi is alive and well, he writes whilst listening to Alexa in the kitchen....

What is there that’s worth having that is not released physically?
“Erratic associate member”

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 25 Nov 2020, 12:09

Neil Jung wrote:Hi fi is alive and well, he writes whilst listening to Alexa in the kitchen....

What is there that’s worth having that is not released physically?

Beyonce's The Gift? :D

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 25 Nov 2020, 12:10

C wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:Is the concept of hi-fi dead, or at least largely dead?

I do have decent audio equipment, but these find myself listening to music on the computer, or my ipod or some other gadget (Alexa in my case).

What....?!

Sacrilege

Burn that lad at the stake

Well it is ...errm...convenient....and ...errm....

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 25 Nov 2020, 12:32

I absolutely adore my Hi-Fi and the pleasure that comes from within the soundstage.

Sitting in my armchair with the sweet spot is my favourite place in the entire world: even after all these years

My children prefer the digital (Sonos) option, so I’m going to make sure everything goes to someone who will appreciate it.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 25 Nov 2020, 12:36

soundchaser wrote:I absolutely adore my Hi-Fi and the pleasure that comes from within the soundstage.

Sitting in my armchair with the sweet spot is my favourite place in the entire world: even after all these years

Yes indeed. How often do you do it? My wife has hijacked the room with the kit in as her office during the covid crisis, so I haven't done it for a while.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 25 Nov 2020, 12:43

Positive Passion wrote:
soundchaser wrote:I absolutely adore my Hi-Fi and the pleasure that comes from within the soundstage.

Yes indeed. How often do you do it? My wife has hijacked the room with the kit in as her office during the covid crisis, so I haven't done it for a while.

Oh, every day. It’s food for my soul. I’ve got a dedicated music room and my wife is happy to indulge me.
Last edited by soundchaser on 25 Nov 2020, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 25 Nov 2020, 12:45

soundchaser wrote:My children prefer the digital (Sonos) option, so I’m going to make sure everything goes to someone who will appreciate it.

You know where to find me!
:twisted:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 25 Nov 2020, 13:42

Dr. Baron wrote:
soundchaser wrote:My children prefer the digital (Sonos) option, so I’m going to make sure everything goes to someone who will appreciate it.

You know where to find me!
:twisted:

You know that will also include my prog collection :lol: ?

robertff

Postby robertff » 25 Nov 2020, 13:48

Certainly alive and well in this house, play it every day for as much as I can, never a dull moment as someone once sang. There's lots of fantastic hi-fi kit out there and if you want to involve streaming into the equation as well, there's also some great kit.

Have a look here for some great kit:

https://www.iglooaudio.co.uk

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 25 Nov 2020, 14:11

My bro* - the rich one, not Copehead - got me this Jam Heavy Metal bluetooth speaker thingy a couple of years ago and it is really great, I mostly stream from my phone to it despite having a valve(tube)-powered Fat Man audio system in the same room.

My eldest daughter has taken my turntable up to her lair and all the vinyl that she fancies. I think she likes the novelty (oh the ironing!) of putting a record on. Meanwhile an old mate of mine who was made redundant earlier this year is earning her living buying and selling vinyl.

Funny old world.

(*it was probably his wife)
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Nov 2020, 15:29

Neil Jung wrote:What is there that’s worth having that is not released physically?

Mike-lad, I am trying to get my head around this sentence

If it means what can't you stream that is robust I'd start with the majority of the Budgie catalogue

[and if I wanted to show off some Chick Corea Trio stuff]

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 25 Nov 2020, 15:53

I have a decent set up in the living room and a smaller one in the music room.

I play music every day.

On my computer there's some dl's of things that are harder to find.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

robertff

Postby robertff » 25 Nov 2020, 16:01

C wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:What is there that’s worth having that is not released physically?

Mike-lad, I am trying to get my head around this sentence

If it means what can't you stream that is robust I'd start with the majority of the Budgie catalogue

Not sure he means that C. Does he not mean anything not released physically isn't worth having? I stand to be corrected.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 25 Nov 2020, 16:08

robertff wrote:
Not sure he means that C. Does he not mean anything not released physically isn't worth having? I stand to be corrected.

I think he means let’s get physical. I know I prefer it.

robertff

Postby robertff » 25 Nov 2020, 16:25

soundchaser wrote:
robertff wrote:

I think he means let’s get physical. I know I prefer it.

Just so.

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Nov 2020, 16:54

Spot on bro

Or in my study with my second system in the sweet spot wither at my desk or in my leather armchair, now with a new addition received today.

ooooooof!

Redbubble are the suppliers

robertff

Postby robertff » 25 Nov 2020, 17:33

C wrote:

Spot on bro

Or in my study with my second system in the sweet spot wither at my desk or in my leather armchair, now with a new addition received today.

ooooooof!

Redbubble are the suppliers

Didn't have you down as being a VU fan C.- didn't have one in GG, KC or JT design?

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 25 Nov 2020, 18:55

robertff wrote:
Didn't have you down as being a VU fan C.- didn't have one in GG, KC or JT design?

It was a Christmas present from all his friends at Preludin.

Return to “Yakety Yak”