Ry Cooder's cover of Blue Suede Shoes

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Ry Cooder's cover of Blue Suede Shoes

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Jun 2020, 23:32

Quite a nice cover of the old Carl Perkins chestnut, "Blue Suede Shoes". That sort of thing could still sell in 1982, the year the album "The Slide Area" was released. I am on a Ry Cooder kick and just picked that album up today. The whole thing is rollicking in that unmistakable roots vein, and you notice how he really takes liberties with the Perkins hit. Abandons the stop start pattern for a a beat throughout, with Jim Keltner on drums.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Six String

Re: Ry Cooder's cover of Blue Suede Shoes

Postby Six String » 30 Jun 2020, 23:40

I really like it but then I'm a huge fan of Ry. All Shook Up is another fine arrangement of an old classic.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Jul 2020, 00:04

Yes, and his take on "Get Rhythm", an old Sun single by Johnny Cash and Tennessee Three.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

`

Postby ` » 01 Jul 2020, 08:30

And let's not forget his sublime takes on Elvis' Little Sister (from Bop Til You Drop), Jim Reeves' He'll Have to Go (from Chicken Skin Music) and James Carr's Dark End of the Street (from Boomer's Story)

Six String

Postby Six String » 01 Jul 2020, 17:50

And Curtis Mayfield's Gypsy Woman, Down In The Boondocks....We could go on. :)
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Yakety Yak”