Discuss your two greatest musical heroes...

Do talk back
C
Robust

Discuss your two greatest musical heroes...

Postby C » 24 Jun 2020, 13:26

Anybody want to talk about mine?

Ian Anderson and Frank Zappa

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

`

Re: Discuss your two greatest musical heroes...

Postby ` » 24 Jun 2020, 14:16

C wrote:Anybody want to talk about mine?

Well that's pretty much A to Z covered....

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Jun 2020, 14:28

C wrote:Anybody want to talk about mine?

Zappa is probably the only artist you could have named after Anderson that would make me prefer the former.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Jun 2020, 15:47

Sam Stone wrote:Well that's pretty much A to Z covered....

Diamond Dog wrote:Zappa is probably the only artist you could have named after Anderson that would make me prefer the former.

Smart asses/arses

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Jun 2020, 16:55

:lol:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Flower

Postby Flower » 24 Jun 2020, 17:11

C wrote:
Smart asses/arses

I don't care much for them ...

If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Jun 2020, 17:15

I have many, but let's stick with the back of the alphabet.

Tom Verlaine and Robert Wyatt.

(*crickets*)
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Jun 2020, 18:03

toomanyhatz wrote:Robert Wyatt.

I love his solo albums

Rock Bottom and Old Rottenhat are probably my fave two but I haven't played them for years despite having most of his records so that might be slightly different now

I never took to Matching Mole though but his contributions in the Softs was excellent although when they became more jazzier one could see his tubs weren't going to be good enough

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Jun 2020, 18:13

C wrote:

I love his solo albums

Rock Bottom and Old Rottenhat are probably my fave two but I haven't played them for years despite having most of his records so that might be slightly different now

I never took to Matching Mole though but his contributions in the Softs was excellent although when they became more jazzier one could see his tubs weren't going to be good enough

Shleep has been the one for me lately, but one thing that makes him so great to me is that he kept growing as an artist.

Matching Mole isn't really my cuppa either for the most part, but just for "O Caroline"...

Agree about the tubs ability - even at his peak he never quite had the chops. His abilities lied elsewhere. Better for all parties that he struck out on his own.
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Jun 2020, 18:34

toomanyhatz wrote:
C wrote:

I love his solo albums

Shleep has been the one for me lately, but one thing that makes him so great to me is that he kept growing as an artist.

Matching Mole isn't really my cuppa either for the most part, but just for "O Caroline"...

Agree about the tubs ability - even at his peak he never quite had the chops. His abilities lied elsewhere. Better for all parties that he struck out on his own.

Yes, spot on hatz on all counts.

Yes, Shleep - I recall at the time of its release that I was very impressed with that one.

I must dig it out

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Jun 2020, 22:42

Wyatt's drumming on Soft Machine 1 & 2 is superb, it's the music which lets the later albums down. But I didn't come here to write disparaging things about overblown noodly crap. No, I came here because I find Comicopera to be his only really involving album, and a fitting swan song.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Jun 2020, 23:20

Darkness_Fish wrote:Wyatt's drumming on Soft Machine 1 & 2 is superb, it's the music which lets the later albums down. But I didn't come here to write disparaging things about overblown noodly crap.

You just wrote crap instead

Nice one

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 25 Jun 2020, 05:39

I find the attitude of people like Zappa appealing, but not enough to buy lots of his records - I only have one or two.

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Jun 2020, 11:40

Positive Passion wrote: I only have one or two.

Which are lad?

Which are....??

With such a wide range of genres that Zappa's music covers, is that enough to give a 'full' judgement?

Don't get me wrong, I am not criticising that view - it's just an observation

robertff

Postby robertff » 25 Jun 2020, 12:01

Got a lot of time for Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull - have most, if not all of the albums I think, so I quite like him - have seem him live twice.

Frank Zappa/Mothers, I'm never quite sure about, I want to like his music, feel I ought to like it but somehow it just leaves me thinking is this it? I have acquired many of his albums both solo and Mothers, mostly acquired during the great vinyl throw away way back when. Nevertheless, no matter how many times I put on one of his records it just leaves me posturing what I am missing - if anything?

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Jun 2020, 15:37

robertff wrote: what I am missing - if anything?

Good question.

You've tried

As Zappa himself said: you are get it or you don't

However Rob, you might have accumulated the 'wrong' albums.

Zappa's music spanned many genre

robertff

Postby robertff » 25 Jun 2020, 19:19

C wrote:
robertff wrote: what I am missing - if anything?

Good question.

You've tried

As Zappa himself said: you are get it or you don't

However Rob, you might have accumulated the 'wrong' albums.

Zappa's music spanned many genre

Got quite a lot of Zappa/Mothers albums C. they all leave me wondering what I'm missing - if anything? Hot Rats is the only one that I think I actually like.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Jun 2020, 21:22

Zappa is not for everybody, but then very few artists are. You either like it or you don't - nothing wrong either way.

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Jun 2020, 21:32

robertff wrote:

Got quite a lot of Zappa/Mothers albums C. they all leave me wondering what I'm missing - if anything? Hot Rats is the only one that I think I actually like.

Burnt Weeny Sandwich?
Waka Jawaka?
The Grand Wazoo?
One Size Fits All?

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Jun 2020, 21:46

Zappa and Ian are both artists that have some stuff I love and some stuff I...don't love.

My favorite Zappa will always be We're Only in it for the Money. Skewering the hippie generation - from the cover on down - was needed, and he was the one to do it. Plus the original Mothers were a hell of a band - Preston and Gardner in particular. A lot of talk around here - some of it by me, of course :D - about his scatology and general tackiness, but at least in the beginning it was a logical extension of the 'novelty record' aspect of where he started - it was pretty much the only place where musical oddballs like him fit in in the early 60s. Of course it eventually got out of control, and stayed that way for a while. But this is the one that has the best balance. And it's brilliant musically (though I'd say largely thanks to the supporting cast).

As for Ian A., I appreciate his all-around skill, though I find some of it a bit unwieldy. For me, the "folkier" the better, of course - I really like Songs From the Wood a lot.
Footy wrote:

Return to “Yakety Yak”