When opera meets jazz

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

When opera meets jazz

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Apr 2020, 06:55

At 50 pence in thrift, I am willing to take chances, and most often it pays off. So I bought a CD of the great diva, Barbara Hendricks, singing the Duke Ellington songbook. Accompanied by the Monty Alexander Trio. Live at Montreux. What could possibly go wrong? World class names, all. Well, it doesn't work, which is perhaps why we haven't seen more of such things. It really is quite a dreadful recording, doesn't swing at all. Ms. Hendricks is good for something like "Ave Maria", but not "Don't Get Around Much Anymore". Three songs in, and I reach for the stop button. Off to Accord it goes.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Spock!

Re: When opera meets jazz

Postby Spock! » 05 Apr 2020, 20:07

GoogaMooga wrote:At 50 pence in thrift, I am willing to take chances, and most often it pays off. So I bought a CD of the great diva, Barbara Hendricks, singing the Duke Ellington songbook. Accompanied by the Monty Alexander Trio. Live at Montreux. What could possibly go wrong? World class names, all. Well, it doesn't work, which is perhaps why we haven't seen more of such things. It really is quite a dreadful recording, doesn't swing at all. Ms. Hendricks is good for something like "Ave Maria", but not "Don't Get Around Much Anymore". Three songs in, and I reach for the stop button. Off to Accord it goes.

Can't say I'm surprised. Have avoided such offerings as Kiri te Kanawa's Blue Skies & Sidetracks fearing just such a mismatch.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Re: When opera meets jazz

Postby Muskrat » 06 Apr 2020, 05:56

I've heard worse.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Return to “Yakety Yak”