It's over 50 years since I last heard this...!

Do talk back
C
Robust

It's over 50 years since I last heard this...!

Postby C » 01 Apr 2020, 19:41

Thunderclap Newman

One of the prog goons, over on Reap Corner, was playing this recently and it occurred to me that the last (and only time) I heard this album was around my mate Johnny Winter's house almost 51 years ago.

I remember not being too keen - don't ask me why - I can't recall

Anyway, playing now.

[A one-hit wonder band?]

What are others views?

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Re: It's over 50 years since I last heard this...!

Postby C » 01 Apr 2020, 19:46

I am enjoying track 3 The Reason very much - heavier with a nice guitar solo.

Nice. Very nice

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Apr 2020, 20:03

They were protegés of Pete Townshend, who I think produced the album. Not sure if I own it, but at any rate just the one memorable song, "Something in the Air".
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

robertff

Postby robertff » 01 Apr 2020, 20:08

I enjoyed it C. pretty lightweight all in all but they did seem to have a pretty distinctive sound about them. They were a one everything wonder, always really liked the single though. I ought to play the album more often as I like it quite a lot, shame about Jimmy McCulloch.

Always thought that Pete Townshend wrote the single as well as producing the album, turns out that was incorrect having just checked.

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Apr 2020, 20:11

GoogaMooga wrote:They were protegés of Pete Townshend, who I think produced the album. Not sure if I own it, but at any rate just the one memorable song, "Something in the Air".

I know all that Googs - I was there!

I think, so far, there are a couple of other tracks at least as good as Something in the Air but the album has got a 'lightweight' feel to it which, for me, falls between two stalls.

The is some nice harmonica but some irritating harmonica too.

They are best when they let rip with electric guitar like exactly now ( 6.5 minutes into Accidents)

the bas guitar is nice through - tentalisingly penetrating an the ubiquitous honky tonk piano

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Apr 2020, 20:16

robertff wrote:I enjoyed it C. pretty lightweight all in all but they did seem to have a pretty distinctive sound about them. They were a one everything wonder, always really liked the single though. I ought to play the album more often as I like it quite a lot, shame about Jimmy McCulloch.

Always thought that Pete Townshend wrote the single as well as producing the album, turns out that was incorrect having just checked.

SNAP! with the 'lightweight' typed simultaneously.

I am enjoying it more than I thought

I need to play it more too

Yes - shame about Jimmy. Sadly, all three of the band are dead

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Apr 2020, 20:23

Apparently Townshend plays bass throughout

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 01 Apr 2020, 20:36

Unfortunately, no opinion. It was out of print for a long time and was on my wish list, as I had got Speedy Keen's Previous Convictions album and got a great deal of enjoyment from it and loved Something in the Air. When I did finally come across a second hand copy, in Parkstone's Big Brother Records (very friendly owner, recommended) he played a few songs for me and I was distinctly underwhelmed and spent my money on something else - the soundtrack to the film Chicago Blues & the Alpha Band's The Statue Makers of Hollywood if I recall correctly.

It's now been a while since I played my Speedy Keen albums, so thanks for the heads up - I'll give Thunderclap Newman a try.

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Apr 2020, 20:45

John aka Josh wrote:I was distinctly underwhelmed and spent my money on something else

It's now been a while since I played my Speedy Keen albums, so thanks for the heads up - I'll give Thunderclap Newman a try.

Yes - it has its moments and about three or four excellent tracks with some lovely guitar solos from Jimmy.

Trouble is it is a bit of a dog's breakfast and many of the tracks are all over the place and appears a juxtaposition of a few ideas chucked together within a track.

The title track, which is an instrumental, ain't strong...!

I can see why In didn't like it back in 1969 when I was listening to Cream, Zappa, Beefheart, Deep Purple, The Nice even Creedence. Thunderclap bless 'em lack strong songs although as I said previously it has some nice moments but doesn't hang together too well as an album.

I will definitely visit it again. Perhaps in another fifty years

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 01 Apr 2020, 21:00

C wrote:
I will definitely visit it again. Perhaps in another fifty years

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not on the PSL list then. Currently I'm playing Barclay James Harvest and fancy something a bit meatier, so shall continue putting Thunderclap Newman on the backburner. King Crimson Ladies of the Road here I come.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Apr 2020, 02:08

I've always liked it very, very much. A few weak lyrics (but who cares) and "Accidents" is overlong (the CD includes the single version), but it has a unique and lovely feel to it, almost like a less ambitious Traffic.

C
Robust

Postby C » 04 Apr 2020, 19:24

Hi Chas! I thought you had deserted us for the other place.

Welcome my learned friend

Charlie O. wrote:I've always liked it very, very much. A few weak lyrics (but who cares) and "Accidents" is overlong (the CD includes the single version), but it has a unique and lovely feel to it, almost like a less ambitious Traffic.

Valid points Chas, but I felt many of the tracks were bitty and didn't hang together too well.

Still, each to her/his own.

I don't think I'll be in a hurry to listen to it again.

Perhaps after another fifty years...

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Apr 2020, 19:56

C wrote:Hi Chas! I thought you had deserted us for the other place.

I am ubiquitous, Stephen.

C
Robust

Postby C » 04 Apr 2020, 20:37

Charlie O. wrote:
C wrote:Hi Chas! I thought you had deserted us for the other place.

I am ubiquitous, Stephen.

Hopefully Chas, you are not getting involved in nasty stuff that I hear is going on over there about certain BCB folk.

Really nasty I hear and not just from the usual suspects which I find quite upsetting.

Live and let live I say and leave us alone

x

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Apr 2020, 23:19

C wrote:Really nasty I hear and not just from the usual suspects which I find quite upsetting.

Honestly, I have not encountered it (and suspect that reports of such may have been exaggerated somewhat) - but then I've always been selective about what threads I choose to read.

Anyway, I doubt it's as bad as some of what I've seen here over the years, and on the old MOJO board!

Haterz gonna hate.

Return to “Yakety Yak”