Craig Brown's Beatles book

Do talk back
`

Craig Brown's Beatles book

Postby ` » 28 Mar 2020, 20:04

Wouldn't normally touch another Beatles book with a ten-foot pole, but Craig Brown has an excellent way with the absurdities
of the rich and famous so One, Two, Three, Four,The Beatles in Time looks terrific.

Covering a story where the Hells Angels joined 40 children and watched John and Yoko as Father and Mother Christmas at the Apple Xmas Party in 1968, the below excerpt from this morning's Guardian Review section is well worth 15-minutes of your personal lockdown hell

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... s-did-next

Spock!

Re: Craig Brown's Beatles book

Postby Spock! » 28 Mar 2020, 21:28

Wasn't one of our own, well formerly of our own, Billbob perhaps, at the Apple Christmas party?

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 28 Mar 2020, 22:54

He sat on Santa’s knee
Give a shit or be a shit.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 29 Mar 2020, 00:09

Weird timing - I was just this morning watching a MMT-related doc on YouTube, and in a "bonus interview" Neil Innes was talking about being at that Christmas party. As it was winding down, he went looking for his young son who had been in the kids' room but wasn't there anymore; he eventually found him in another room, sitting on a Hell's Angel's knee. "Can I have my son back, please?

`

Postby ` » 08 Apr 2020, 12:01

Currently zooming through this at a rapid rate of knots. As with other CB books like 101 and Ma'am Darling, what makes this so enjoyable is the way he focuses on the marginal characters Lewishon et al leave out. In this case that includes the acts who supported JPG&R on the first Ed Sullivan show In Feb 64; as well as the luckless Jimmy Nicol who stood in for Ringo on their 1964 tour of Asia and Australia.

It ultimately In Time does what all great music bios does and makes you dust off and play the records while you read. In my case, it's also got me to dig out my DVD copy of Anthology. To see the band on The Sullivan show as they must have looked to American viewers still reeling from JFK's assassination three months earlier is to fall in love with them all over again.

If only those of us who'll survive this fucking awful CoVid-19 pandemic had something this innocent and magical to look forwards to.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 08 Apr 2020, 13:39

Sam Stone wrote:Currently zooming through this at a rapid rate of knots. As with other CB books like 101 and Ma'am Darling, what makes this so enjoyable is the way he focuses on the marginal characters Lewishon et al leave out. In this case that includes the acts who supported JPG&R on the first Ed Sullivan show In Feb 64; as well as the luckless Jimmy Nicol who stood in for Ringo on their 1964 tour of Asia and Australia.

It ultimately In Time does what all great music bios does and makes you dust off and play the records while you read. In my case, it's also got me to dig out my DVD copy of Anthology. To see the band on The Sullivan show as they must have looked to American viewers still reeling from JFK's assassination three months earlier is to fall in love with them all over again.

If only those of us who'll survive this fucking awful CoVid-19 pandemic had something this innocent and magical to look forwards to.

OK, you've got me. I'm going to order this now.

*Edit:
Damn. They've sold out in Spanish Amazon. I'm going to have to wait.
Bugger off.

`

Postby ` » 08 Apr 2020, 14:22

Get the ebook.

If you've got an iPad or similar tablet, just download the free kindle app from the Apple/Android store and you
can download and start reading the book in about a minute

Return to “Yakety Yak”