Let's talk Miles Davis

Do talk back
C
Robust

Let's talk Miles Davis

Postby C » 27 Mar 2020, 19:56

I am going to have me a bit of jazz before the PSL - some of the great Miles Davis.

Agharta - the matinee show from The Festival Hall, Osaka, 1975.

Perhaps the evening show, Pangaea, later - certainly tomorrow.

Cosey's guitar is awesome!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Spock!

Re: Let's talk Miles Davis

Postby Spock! » 27 Mar 2020, 20:33

I've never really explored Davis in the 70s.

Adore his playing - the timing, the tone, the spaces in between. The Coltrane group is fantastic, Cookin' & Relaxin' in particular, the CBS albums are excellent too, then the Shorter, Williams, Hancock & Carter quintet are the bee's knees - so much depth to their recordings. Also have a very soft spot for his recordings with Charlie Parker - yes, he's slow, he makes mistakes but the feel... Miles is all about feel.

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Mar 2020, 22:02

[*]
John aka Josh wrote: Miles is all about feel.

He certainly is

The Johnny Mc albums are wonderful - a great guitarist but Cosey fits in so well mid-70s.

Very Hendrixy!

Agharta is a good album to sample all 90 minutes of it! [3 tracks]

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 27 Mar 2020, 22:59

John aka Josh wrote:I've never really explored Davis in the 70s.

BCB MVP, pig bodine did a superb electric miles thread a long time ago but, alas, I think it’s gone.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

robertff

Postby robertff » 28 Mar 2020, 08:06

Got a number of his albums - probably the better known ones and really like them. Was in Fopp Records a year or so ago and they were playing some jazz music that really caught my attention. Asked them what it was and the reply was this:

Bought it the next day and loved it straight away, love it's haunting, isolationist, fatalistic quality.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 28 Mar 2020, 13:22

I am a "Sketches from Spain" boy. I have some of those columbia complete recordings sets - they are ace.

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Mar 2020, 14:01

robertff wrote:Got a number of his albums - probably the better known ones and really like them. Was in Fopp Records a year or so ago and they were playing some jazz music that really caught my attention. Asked them what it was and the reply was this:

Bought it the next day and loved it straight away, love it's haunting, isolationist, fatalistic quality.

I don't know this one Rob - it sounds interesting

I will investigate

NP

Osaka, 1975 [the evening show]

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 28 Mar 2020, 20:41

robertff wrote:Got a number of his albums - probably the better known ones and really like them. Was in Fopp Records a year or so ago and they were playing some jazz music that really caught my attention. Asked them what it was and the reply was this:

Haven't played it for a long time.

First heard a track from it on the radio, such a long time ago that I can't remember either the programme or the song. The song gripped me, as you say it was haunting, ethereal - it knocked me out. I remembered that the song came from the soundtrack, and I already knew that The Scaffold had named themselves after the film.

It took me years to get hold of the album, by which time it had been built up in my mind to a legendary degree, and when I did get hold of it I was a little disappointed, it being rather fragmentary and I long for the tracks to have been extended. The music was, according to the sleeve notes on my copy, improvised as they watched the film. Miles flew to France to record it with the French musicians Barney Wilen, Rene Urtreger, Pierre Michelot & expatriate Kenny Clarke. It is a soundtrack, small vignettes rather than an album. My album in fact has another jazz soundtrack on the other side.

I'm playing it now and again I'm loving the tone but wishing the pieces had been more developed.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 29 Mar 2020, 12:07

There is a good Miles doco out now on Netflix, covers the breadth of his life quite well.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 Mar 2020, 21:04

John aka Josh wrote:

I'm playing it now and again I'm loving the tone but wishing the pieces had been more developed.

Yes - that was my feeling too.

Some of the tracks just get going and then they are over.

Often the thing with soundtracks though.

Vangelis and TD come immediately to mind

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 03 Apr 2020, 05:14

I generally prefer his earlier work, though my favorite is probably 'Filles de Kilimanjaro' from '68.

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Apr 2020, 17:18

pcqgod wrote:I generally prefer his earlier work, though my favorite is probably 'Filles de Kilimanjaro' from '68.

Nice.

Very nice

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 15 Apr 2020, 15:48

John aka Josh wrote:The music was, according to the sleeve notes on my copy, improvised as they watched the film.

Which is also pretty much how Neil Young recorded the Dead Man Soundtrack.

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 15 Apr 2020, 15:49

I think that if I had to listen to he music of one artists until I died, it'd be Miles. Endlessly varied and constantly restless. Bitches Brew might be the peak of music in the 20th Century, you know?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 15 Apr 2020, 15:59

doctorlouie wrote:Bitches Brew might be the peak of music in the 20th Century, you know?

A peak, for sure.

The peak for me is Thelonious Monk on Blue Note with Milt Jackson.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 15 Apr 2020, 16:26

This, along with In A Silent Way, were my entry point to Miles. An incredibly cool soundtrack.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 15 Apr 2020, 16:55

Dr. Baron wrote:
doctorlouie wrote:Bitches Brew might be the peak of music in the 20th Century, you know?

A peak, for sure.

The peak for me is Thelonious Monk on Blue Note with Milt Jackson.

The peak for me is Mahler's 8th
We're way past rhubarb

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Apr 2020, 19:12

James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" is the peak for me.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Apr 2020, 20:53

Seems a shame to me that everyone's prepared to try and ignore the fact that Kind of Blue is one of the rarest things, a landmark album that deserves to be the icon it is. I was listening to it a couple of nights ago, and was just in awe again at what a phenomenal piece of work it is. Also, In a Silent Way is certainly quiet good.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 16 Apr 2020, 01:04

Darkness_Fish wrote:Seems a shame to me that everyone's prepared to try and ignore the fact that Kind of Blue is one of the rarest things, a landmark album that deserves to be the icon it is. I was listening to it a couple of nights ago, and was just in awe again at what a phenomenal piece of work it is.

I doubt anyone could really deny that. Its a rare record that is uniformly critically acclaimed and loved by listeners. I can't think of anything with the same singular status in the pop world.

Return to “Yakety Yak”