The first punk band

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

The first punk band

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Sep 2019, 06:14

Quick - what was the first punk band? The Damned? New York Dolls? Stooges? No, the first punk band was much weirder than any of those later ones. They were called The Monks, and they were formed a full three years before the Stooges, way back in '64. The Monks were three American G.I.s stationed in West Germany, plus a local. And when they called themselves Monks, they really meant it, shaving their heads in tonsures like real monks would do. No Gregorian chants from these guys, though, but rather, a raucous avant-garde racket of shrill vocals, abrasive feedback, and loud distortion. all to showcase their hard-edged commentary on the sorry state of society. "Black Monk Time" was released in that key year, 1966, and their reputation rests on that one album. It's the one with the hypnotic "We Do Wie Du", a completely insane little ditty that I could go on singing forever:

Hey, hey, what are you gonna say?
You know we're all gonna make love today
Yay, yay, yay, yay!
We do as you, we do
We do, wie du, wie du
Won't you come with me today?
Hey girl, I'm gonna stay today
And there's nothing
Nothing you can say
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: The first punk band

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 14 Sep 2019, 08:58

*sigh*

The Bear invented Punk. In Covent Garden.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 14 Sep 2019, 10:17

What sort of punk?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Sep 2019, 12:15

Meh, it's alright, but it does sound very much of its time, rather than anything punk. Only Higgle-dy Piggle-dy really gets the blood racing.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Sep 2019, 18:28

If the Monks are punk then certainly the Sonics preceded them.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Sep 2019, 07:55

I'd call the Sonics garage punk, and in that case, there were other forerunners, too.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Yakety Yak”