So, that Taylor Swift....

Do talk back
Brickyard Jack

So, that Taylor Swift....

Postby Brickyard Jack » 13 Apr 2019, 13:20

Has changed her website frontpage to show a countdown to April 25th (well, 26th UK time), so at the very least there'll be a new single!

borofan

Re: So, that Taylor Swift....

Postby borofan » 13 Apr 2019, 17:17

Thanks for the warning...
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 23 Aug 2019, 18:23

Has released the new album, and I am enjoying it very much. Same as always - good tunes, great lyrics, interesting songs.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 23 Aug 2019, 23:43

So what about her? What's your favourite? For those of us who can't name one song. That's me.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 24 Aug 2019, 05:44

soundchaser wrote:So what about her? What's your favourite? For those of us who can't name one song. That's me.

All her albums (seven of them) are at least pretty good, and often touch on greatness. Her second album, Fearless is outstanding, one of the very best albums ever. 1989, the fifth album, is really fantastic.
Her best song is probably You belong with me, though a lot of people might say Blank space.
Her videos often detract from rather than enhance the song - i rarely watch them.
She is an excellent live performer.
There is a you tuber called Abi Signs who was deaf, and she posted videos of her signing along to a load of songs. I was watching her video of We are never getting back together when I realised how great the song was.
Cracking swift tracks include:
Our song
Should've said no
Picture to burn
Teardrops on my guitar
Love story
You belong with me
Fifteen
The best day
Mean
The story of us
I heart ?
We are never getting back together
Girl at home
Starlight
Style
Blank space
Shake it off
This love
Don't blame me
This is why we can't have nice things
New romantics

But that is merely scratching the surface.

`

Postby ` » 24 Aug 2019, 08:59

Isn''t she apparently re-recording and re-releasing her first six albums to which she apparently doesn't own the rights?

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 24 Aug 2019, 09:01

Well, thanks for posting and your positive passion enthusiasm. Obviously, it’s not aimed at me, but a good song is a good song is a good song. And from what I’ve listened to, these are well crafted power pop songs with a country twinge to her voice. My granddaughters are big fans and I can see why. Would I personally listen at home? No. But hey, I live in 1972.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 24 Aug 2019, 10:00

Powehi wrote:Isn''t she apparently re-recording and re-releasing her first six albums to which she apparently doesn't own the rights?

Apparently.
Suzanne Vega did this a few years back, releasing 4 albums ( I think it was 4) in a series called "close ups".

`

Postby ` » 24 Aug 2019, 10:26

Positive Passion wrote:
Powehi wrote:Isn''t she apparently re-recording and re-releasing her first six albums to which she apparently doesn't own the rights?

Apparently.
Suzanne Vega did this a few years back, releasing 4 albums ( I think it was 4) in a series called "close ups".

Quite a few acts seem to do it - quite often as a fuck you attempt to wrestle back control/royalties of songs whose publishing they no longer own. Pretty sure that's why Van Morrison did the live Astral Weeks album he did a few years back. Squeeze also did an album of re-recordings called - iirc - Spot the Difference

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 24 Aug 2019, 12:41

"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 24 Aug 2019, 15:24

"Taylor Swift Says She Will Rerecord Her Old Music. Here's How.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/arts ... Position=1
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 02 Sep 2019, 20:48

Tremendous live performance on Radio 1's Live Lounge

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 02 Sep 2019, 22:37

I wouldn't know a single Taylor Smith song.
Question authority.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 11 Feb 2021, 19:28

I have just ordered the first of Taylor Swift's rerecordings - Fearless, of which I already have two versions. This new recording has all the songs from the original plus the six extra tracks from the "platinum edition" plus another six previously unreleased songs from around the same time. What with two albums last year plus the folklore long pond sessions, she really is hoovering up my money. Hooray!

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 11 Feb 2021, 19:48

Let us know how the new versions compare to the originals.
Bugger off.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 11 Feb 2021, 20:26

Rorschach wrote:Let us know how the new versions compare to the originals.

They are supposed to be exactly the same, so I understand, but we will see.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 11 Apr 2021, 10:01

So I have been listening to this new version of Fearless.

First, compared to the original album there are 13 extra songs, and even compared to the "platinum edition" there are six extra songs. It is a bit like a remastered edition with extra tracks, except this is rerecorded, not just remastered. Some of these extra tracks are really quite good.

As for the main album, the new version is definitely different to the original, but not so much in a "this is different or that is different" way (though there may be cases of this), but more of impression - they are like supercharged versions of the originals, in part because of better production but also I feel from confidence in the material born from hindsight. It certainly sounds fantastic and has tremendous songs on it. If you don't own Fearless already (I am sure this only apllies to a few on this board), this is the version for you. Even if you do have it the extra tracks are certainly good enough to to justify acquisition.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 11 Apr 2021, 18:08

Well, I'm listening to the re-recorded version of You Belong With Me and, much as i want to like her, it's not really grabbing me.
It's the first time I've ever heard it so I'll definitely give it another chance but it seems very formulaic to me. In fact, I'm going to have to sound like my dad now and say, it all sounds the same. It reminds me of Katy Perry and all 'that lot'.
I don't hate it or anything, and obviously I'm not the target market but I'm not keen.

Maybe it'll grow on me. I hope so.

(I'm on to Fifteen, now. Not as good as Sharon Van Etten's, Seventeen!)
Bugger off.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 11 Apr 2021, 20:30

Rorschach wrote:Well, I'm listening to the re-recorded version of You Belong With Me and, much as i want to like her, it's not really grabbing me.
It's the first time I've ever heard it so I'll definitely give it another chance but it seems very formulaic to me. In fact, I'm going to have to sound like my dad now and say, it all sounds the same. It reminds me of Katy Perry and all 'that lot'.
I don't hate it or anything, and obviously I'm not the target market but I'm not keen.

Maybe it'll grow on me. I hope so.

(I'm on to Fifteen, now. Not as good as Sharon Van Etten's, Seventeen!)

:) well those are the two best tracks, I reckon, so if they aren't grabbing you, you will never be a Swiftie, I would think.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 12 Apr 2021, 06:15

` wrote:Isn''t she apparently re-recording and re-releasing her first six albums to which she apparently doesn't own the rights?

Yes. The first one is out now. Generally contracts have it that you can't re-record a song for another label within a predetermined window - often five years.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Return to “Yakety Yak”