Post-Yardbirds

Do talk back
C
Robust

Post-Yardbirds

Postby C » 16 Jan 2019, 14:42

As we all know in 1969 Keith Relf formed the robustly seminal Renaissance. Sadly, they broke up after the first album and when a handful of years later, whilst in the process of getting the band back together again, he was killed by electrocution.

What some may not realise was that the reformed band would be known as Illusion.

The second album was obviously not a proper Renaissance album - the original band only appeared together on one track. So subsequently with no Keith they morphed into something else which certainly was not Renaissance.

I have always imagined what a proper second album would have sounded like had Keith not left us. Have you?

Views?

Last edited by C on 16 Jan 2019, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Post-Yardbirds

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Jan 2019, 15:04

It was sad what happened to Keith, but in truth, my interest in Yardbirds stops after that last live album, right before Page forms Led Zeppelin from the ashes of the New Yardbirds. I can see how Led Zeppelin had to happen, both Yardbirds and the new band were blues based, but Relf going prog, I would not have seen that coming.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Jan 2019, 15:12

Feast your eyes an ears on this Googa-lad my learned friend

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 Jan 2019, 20:20

I have a Jane Relf compilation that has some Illusion tracks, I believe, as well as recordings from that in-between period when the original Renaissance was transitioning to the Annie Haslam-led outfit. It must have gone on for a while; I think 'Prologue' still has some Relf/McCarty songwriting credits on it. I love this little folksy demo that turned up on a reissue of the 'Little Games' album.

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Jan 2019, 20:42

pcqgod wrote:

Nice. Very nice

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Jan 2019, 20:52

Renaissance - not really my cuppa, sorry. I think Zilth Pilchards has got them on CD, he's more of a progger than I.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Yakety Yak”