40%
it's OK
25%

Total votes: 20

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Pitchfork's SONG O YEAR

Postby naughty boy » 10 Dec 2018, 20:32

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Pitchfork's SONG O YEAR

Postby The Modernist » 10 Dec 2018, 20:38

That vocal reminds me of "We Didn't Start the Fire"!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Dec 2018, 20:50

I would've voted "oh dear" were that an option. "It's not very good" was as close as I could get. Apparently it's still more important to make an impression than to keep it.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 10 Dec 2018, 22:25

I was going to start a poll on the various Pitchfork Songs of the Year over the years, but this thread, even though it's only 3 posts long, doesn't fill me with confidence.

I look forward to listening to the list, however. It's generally full of good music (I know, music good AND new, whodathunk it!??!) and while I haven't heard the 1975 song, I'll probably give the album a spin at it looks up my street.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Dec 2018, 22:30

I made it a little past the one minute mark, and didn't love it.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 10 Dec 2018, 22:54

Their album is called "A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships", and that told me all I needed to know. The video -- sorry, the first minute :) -- confirmed that my assessment was correct.

But I suppose I'm not their target market. I'm listening to Johnny Mathis.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Robert

Postby Robert » 10 Dec 2018, 22:58

Charlie O. wrote:I made it a little past the one minute mark, and didn't love it.

I hate that autotune in overdrive and thus didn’tmake it much further than you. A proper engaging singer could have saved it

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Dec 2018, 00:05

Song of the year?

I didn't last more than two minutes of 2018.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Dec 2018, 00:06

The Modernist wrote:That vocal reminds me of "We Didn't Start the Fire"!

As sung by a David Byrne imitator.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 11 Dec 2018, 00:37

It's not too bad; there are a lot more annoying songs that my girls listen to or that i hear on playlists from this year.

Faint praise, i guess, but the song itself isn't that exciting. The best part of it is that middle break, where they start channeling some Quincy Jones-era dance pop (complete with Thriller-era dance moves on the vid, for the full effect i guess), but the rest of it sounds like a sub-Tears For Fears retread.

The Red Nosed Heifer wrote:I was going to start a poll on the various Pitchfork Songs of the Year over the years, but this thread, even though it's only 3 posts long, doesn't fill me with confidence.

Go on Heif, what are some of your fave songs from this year? I can't promise to like them, but still interested. :)
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Dec 2018, 10:01

I'm with Moddie here, it does sound a lot like "We Didn't Start the Fire", just at 3/4 speed. It's a bit annoying in that it wants to be a protest song, but hasn't got anything to say, so in that regard you could call them the new U2. It's a bit depressing to think that the kids are all listening to this mid bland 80s sounding stuff. One of my workmates' teenage daughters worships this band, which feels quite disappointing.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 11 Dec 2018, 10:11

fange wrote:
The Red Nosed Heifer wrote:I was going to start a poll on the various Pitchfork Songs of the Year over the years, but this thread, even though it's only 3 posts long, doesn't fill me with confidence.

Go on Heif, what are some of your fave songs from this year? I can't promise to like them, but still interested. :)

You know what, I have listened to next to no new music this year, not out of want, but this whole toddler business is just exhausting! :lol:

But considering you've been listening to your girls' playlists you'll already know that "Youngblood" is a fucking straight up BANGER!
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 11 Dec 2018, 10:20

That one-note bollixing about makes Imagine Dragons sound like fucking geniuses.

What a depressing state of affairs if this is the best popular music could muster
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 11 Dec 2018, 10:27

The Red Nosed Heifer wrote:
fange wrote:

You know what, I have listened to next to no new music this year, not out of want, but this whole toddler business is just exhausting! :lol:

But considering you've been listening to your girls' playlists you'll already know that "Youngblood" is a fucking straight up BANGER!

Yeah, it's kinda catchy, at least for the first 500 times i heard it. :x :lol: My 15-year old loves 5SoS, you'd get on with her great, Heif!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 11 Dec 2018, 10:29

Setting a whole feed’s worth of headlines, catastrophes, and memes to an industrial new wave rave-up, “Love It If We Made It” is the type of sing-along retrospective usually best left to award show montages and “SNL” season finales. It addresses police brutality, the prison industrial complex, the opioid crisis, and much more, as frontman and lyricist Matty Healy offers epitaphs both sweeping (“Modernity has failed us”) and specific (“Rest in peace Lil Peep”). With an anxious arrangement inspired by Scottish cult band the Blue Nile, the song connects culture and counterculture, internet and real life, past and present in a way that feels miraculously, temporarily united. Even when the words read like a list of jumbled trending topics—“Fossil fueling, masturbation, immigration, liberal kitsch, kneeling on a pitch”—the band’s urgency binds it together. Unpacking every reference becomes less entertaining than just standing back and watching the fireworks, as one headline explodes into the next.

The beauty of “Love It If We Made It” is its fluidity, its weightlessness. It’s the sound of a band alternately thrashing against the world and rising above it. In the vocal performance of his young career, Healy sighs, growls, and screams, sounding just as helpless as any of us, raising questions only to watch them get buried by a thousand more. Few bands could have attempted something so audacious and made it sound so moving—a prolonged moment of desperate eye contact, shaped into a generational anthem.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Dec 2018, 10:32

Best year eva
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Dec 2018, 11:43

I checked out their number two choice to see if it was any better. It isn't. Utterly generic modern pop with all the character of a polystyrene cup.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Dec 2018, 12:51

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings wrote:Setting a whole feed’s worth of headlines, catastrophes, and memes to an industrial new wave rave-up, “Love It If We Made It” is the type of sing-along retrospective usually best left to award show montages and “SNL” season finales. It addresses police brutality, the prison industrial complex, the opioid crisis, and much more, as frontman and lyricist Matty Healy offers epitaphs both sweeping (“Modernity has failed us”) and specific (“Rest in peace Lil Peep”). With an anxious arrangement inspired by Scottish cult band the Blue Nile, the song connects culture and counterculture, internet and real life, past and present in a way that feels miraculously, temporarily united. Even when the words read like a list of jumbled trending topics—“Fossil fueling, masturbation, immigration, liberal kitsch, kneeling on a pitch”—the band’s urgency binds it together. Unpacking every reference becomes less entertaining than just standing back and watching the fireworks, as one headline explodes into the next.

The beauty of “Love It If We Made It” is its fluidity, its weightlessness. It’s the sound of a band alternately thrashing against the world and rising above it. In the vocal performance of his young career, Healy sighs, growls, and screams, sounding just as helpless as any of us, raising questions only to watch them get buried by a thousand more. Few bands could have attempted something so audacious and made it sound so moving—a prolonged moment of desperate eye contact, shaped into a generational anthem.

It’s funny how so much of that is about the lyrics rather than the music.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 11 Dec 2018, 12:59

Yeah - and the singer has absolutely nothing to say.

I'm interested about the Blue Nile reference. Is there anything in that?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Dec 2018, 13:08

There is something in the beat that is reminiscent. A bit.

Return to “Yakety Yak”