southern rock

Do talk back
sloopjohnc

Re: southern rock

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Dec 2018, 00:03

I like BR5-49. Have some of their albums.

Waylon's son, Shooter Jennings, has some terrific stuff as does Hank Williams III.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 11 Dec 2018, 00:43

YOU WANT SOUTHERN ROCK?!

YOU GOT SOUTHERN ROCK!!

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 11 Dec 2018, 02:59

LeBaron wrote:I prefer country rock by some distance.

This goes for me too.

Some southern rock is okay in my book, but in general that whole rebel redneck three guitarist/two drummer aesthetic never appealed to me much. I've never lumped ZZ Top in with those kinds of bands. For some reason, the only southern rock albums in my collection are live albums: Allmans, Black Oak Arkansas, Head East.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 11 Dec 2018, 03:08

pcqgod wrote:
LeBaron wrote:I prefer country rock by some distance.

This goes for me too.

Some southern rock is okay in my book, but in general that whole rebel redneck three guitarist/two drummer aesthetic never appealed to me much.

Three-guitar bands? Love 'em: Springfield, Skynyrd, Little River Band, etc. And my favorite Willie Nelson performance was the tour where he carried two bass players and two drummers -- all that potential bombast and it still sounded clean -- but powerful.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Dec 2018, 03:39

I played all sloop's links and I really don't like any of it. Though I didn't mind the Wet Willie (which I had never actually heard before) and the .38 Special is (of course) pretty poppy---I don't really mind that one, but it's no better than, say, Foreigner or something.

Apart from the Allmans (who I love) and the odd Skynyrd song, it's just absolutely not my bag. Leaden and gross.

Now the early stuff from the New Riders and Pure Prairie League? I like that a little more than I should, but that's a different thread.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 11 Dec 2018, 04:02

Muskrat wrote:
Three-guitar bands? Love 'em: Springfield, Skynyrd, Little River Band, etc. And my favorite Willie Nelson performance was the tour where he carried two bass players and two drummers -- all that potential bombast and it still sounded clean -- but powerful.

Sure, but once you throw harmonized lead guitars, drawly vocals, cowboys hats and Dixie imagery into the mix, I've generally lost interest.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 11 Dec 2018, 04:28

pcqgod wrote:
Muskrat wrote:

Sure, but once you throw harmonized lead guitars, drawly vocals, cowboys hats and Dixie imagery into the mix, I've generally lost interest.

Well, I probably can't stand something you like. Why there's more than one act out there.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

C
Robust

Postby C » 11 Dec 2018, 08:53

Welcome to Prog Corner lad

Yes, welcome to Prog Corner

oooof!

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Dec 2018, 11:37

One more: Pure Prairie League
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 11 Dec 2018, 14:30

Of the 70's bands really only a fan of the Allman Brothers and a few off shoots of them.
Sea Level
Govt Mule

other fringe bands
Little Feat
Widespread Panic

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Dec 2018, 14:50

Yeah I forgot Little Feat. I don’t listen to them a lot, it I do like them far more than Skynyrd or .38 Special or whatever.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Dec 2018, 16:35

LeBaron wrote:Though I didn't mind the Wet Willie (which I had never actually heard before)

I saw Wet Willie open for the Outlaws and Aerosmith around '78. They got booed off the stage at the Cow Palace. It definitely wasn't their crowd. They were too funky, people knew none of their songs, and people just wanted to see the two other bands.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 11 Dec 2018, 18:29

Dont forget the mighty Blackfoot.

And I dont really think Little Feat qualify as Southern Rock, do they?
Bless the weather.......Image

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Dec 2018, 18:40

andymacandy wrote:
Dont forget the mighty Blackfoot.

And I dont really think Little Feat qualify as Southern Rock, do they?

Good call, and no, I wouldn't classify Little Feat as southern rock.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Dec 2018, 18:53

LeBaron wrote:Yeah I forgot Little Feat. I don’t listen to them a lot, it I do like them far more than Skynyrd or .38 Special or whatever.

Yeah, the title "Dixie Chicken" notwithstanding, I never thought of them as Southern Rock. They were L.A. weirdos.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Dec 2018, 19:02

Charlie O. wrote:
LeBaron wrote:Yeah I forgot Little Feat. I don’t listen to them a lot, it I do like them far more than Skynyrd or .38 Special or whatever.

Yeah, the title "Dixie Chicken" notwithstanding, I never thought of them as Southern Rock. They were L.A. weirdos.

:lol:

Is that a genre?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 11 Dec 2018, 19:03

sloopjohnc wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:

:lol:

Is that a genre?

Yes.

Enough weirdo bands in LA to qualify.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 12 Dec 2018, 17:45

I think this song is the bee's knees, whatever else I think about this band and the southern rock genre in general.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Dec 2018, 17:50

pcqgod wrote:I think this song is the bee's knees, whatever else I think about this band and the southern rock genre in general.

I really like that whole album.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 12 Dec 2018, 18:08

I like Skynyrd - even saw them live in 76! Other than that, I think I agree with Baron, it's usually no more fun or exciting than most 70s stadium rock.

Here's one I like, though. I don't really listen to their albums, but I'll see em live any time I have the chance. I like the laid back groove and the hot guitar playing. And the bass player is a pistol.

Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Return to “Yakety Yak”