Northern Soul recommendations

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Northern Soul recommendations

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Oct 2018, 20:22

Wouldn't "Move on up" be too recent? I thought Northern Soul was pretty much confined to the 1960s.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Oct 2018, 20:46

GoogaMooga wrote:Wouldn't "Move on up" be too recent? I thought Northern Soul was pretty much confined to the 1960s.

More or less, but there's some early 70s stuff too. Then Ian Levine started playing mid seventies stuff and all hell broke loose!

Jock

Postby Jock » 18 Oct 2018, 20:47

GoogaMooga wrote:Wouldn't "Move on up" be too recent? I thought Northern Soul was pretty much confined to the 1960s.

A lot of 70's stuff. Especially at Northern Souls night, now.
Always Cheated Never Defeated

Jock

Postby Jock » 18 Oct 2018, 20:48

The Modernist wrote:

More or less, but there's some early 70s stuff too. Then Ian Levine started playing mid seventies stuff and all hell broke loose!

It certainly did. Hell break loose I mean.
Always Cheated Never Defeated

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Oct 2018, 21:49

I was thinking about starting a thread Northern Soul vs. Low Rider culture.

They share a lot of the same songs with some differences. Low rider songs tend to have more '50s stuff in them.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 18 Oct 2018, 21:51

sloopjohnc wrote:I was thinking about starting a thread Northern Soul vs. Low Rider culture.

They share a lot of the same songs with some differences. Low rider songs tend to have more '50s stuff in them.

Low Rider stuff is usually a little sweeter/slower, too. I could listen to that mess all day long.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Oct 2018, 22:06

Count Machuki wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I was thinking about starting a thread Northern Soul vs. Low Rider culture.

Low Rider stuff is usually a little sweeter/slower, too.

That too.

I am surprised, what with the affection for Northern Soul, that some Brits never found it. Maybe it's too deep a musical subculture.

I remember one poster insisting that the Northern Soul moniker carried over to the US, and I agreed to a point. I saw one or two Northern Soul nights, but they were all in San Francisco at very hipster bars.

Just to be fair, I asked some guys my age who DJ primarily soul and R&B for weddings and such and they'd never heard the term. I figured they would've known.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 18 Oct 2018, 22:06

SUMPTUOUS SI wrote:
There's A Ghost In My House is the best thing ever, of course (the version with the title repeated throughout)

I only opened this thread to post that. Still goes down a storm regularly on the Wigan Athletic stands before a game. This is the other one that they always play at the footie:

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 18 Oct 2018, 22:13

sloopjohnc wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:

That too.

I am surprised, what with the affection for Northern Soul, that some Brits never found it. Maybe it's too deep a musical subculture.

I remember one poster insisting that the Northern Soul moniker carried over to the US, and I agreed to a point. I saw one or two Northern Soul nights, but they were all in San Francisco at very hipster bars.

Just to be fair, I asked some guys my age who DJ primarily soul and R&B for weddings and such and they'd never heard the term. I figured they would've known.

Belgian Popcorn is another one in the same family tree. I hesitate to open my big Yankee mouth about it, but Northern's more of a scene than a genre.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Oct 2018, 22:16

I love Low Rider music. It was a natural progression after boogaloo and all the rest. There's even a feature film on cable here right now, "Low Rider".
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Oct 2018, 22:34

Count Machuki wrote:but Northern's more of a scene than a genre.

Those Brits make a scene out of everything.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Oct 2018, 22:36

Count Machuki wrote:I hesitate to open my big Yankee mouth about it

It's your god given right. They'd be goose stepping down Piccadilly Circus if it wasn't for us.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 18 Oct 2018, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 18 Oct 2018, 22:52

SUMPTUOUS SI wrote:Nothing But A Heartache, for the love of God

Actually produced in the UK, too (I think)

Scopitone alert!!

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 18 Oct 2018, 23:05

Darkness_Fish wrote:
SUMPTUOUS SI wrote:
There's A Ghost In My House is the best thing ever, of course (the version with the title repeated throughout)

I only opened this thread to post that. Still goes down a storm regularly on the Wigan Athletic stands before a game. This is the other one that they always play at the footie:

It's no ' Delilah ' though, is it?
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Georgios

Postby Georgios » 18 Oct 2018, 23:47

The Northern Soul sound is more varied than many give it credit for. Yes, you've got the classic, up-tempo stompers from the 60's but some of it veers more towards Funk (I generally don't care for this). Just as much, if not more Is what would be classed as Mid-Tempo...

...some of it was not a million miles away from that big, dramatic pop sound of the 60's...

... and some is straight up girl group, pop soul...

Things can get a little confusing once the great 70's schism takes place (alluded to by others) and the Modern sound begins to evolve, especially since some of what was being played at the Blackpool Mecca (the most important club for the sound) was pure Disco (Lovin Is Really My Game for example). Not that they could ever use the 'D' word you understand. Still this is one of my favourites from that period...

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Oct 2018, 00:51

^^ Good stuff, Giorgi.

3 personal faves...

'If That's What You Wanted'

'Flashback'

'Peanut Duck'
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 19 Oct 2018, 00:56

Not a deep cut, but I don't think you can beat Major Lance 'You Don't Want Me No More'.

Georgios

Postby Georgios » 19 Oct 2018, 01:27

sloopjohnc wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:

That too.

The Low Rider stuff is generally known as Sweet Soul in the UK by those who are aware of it, and some certainly are but they'll only be interested in releases which can cross over into Northern.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Oct 2018, 01:33

The Modernist wrote:Not a deep cut, but I don't think you can beat Major Lance 'You Don't Want Me No More'.

ML's catalogue is under-rated. A wealth of fine singles into the '70s, like 'I Wanna Make Up (Before We Break Up).

2 more connected faves from me...

'If It's All The Same To You Babe'

'Exus Trek'

Wonderful.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 19 Oct 2018, 01:51

I've never heard of the genre Low Rider. I've googled it and I can't find much on it at all.
I did eventually find this article:
http://sdcitybeat.com/culture/features/ ... s-records/

It seems underground and localised. But, as Geogios says, we seem to be just talking sweet soul right?

Return to “Yakety Yak”