Mike Nesmith Live at the Troubadour!

Do talk back
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Mike Nesmith Live at the Troubadour!

Postby Muskrat » 19 Jun 2018, 19:42

7a Records announces the release of Michael Nesmith and The First National Band Redux Live at the Troubadour
Deluxe CD and Limited 2LP Gatefold Edition Released On July 27th

7a Records is proud to announce their second Michael Nesmith release, a recording of Nesmith with The First National Band Redux, recorded earlier this year at the legendary concert venue The Troubadour in West Hollywood.
Michael Nesmith was thrown into the pop spotlight, the poplight if you will, as a member of The Monkees. But upon leaving the group in 1970, he started his own innovative musical project The First National Band (FNB). The FNB released three groundbreaking, genre defining albums (Magnetic South/Loose Salute/Nevada Fighter) that sold very little on their initial release, but have since been heralded as absolute classics that helped shape country rock.

With the passing of original members John London and Red Rhodes, it was thought the FNB would never perform again. But the internet went into meltdown late last year when Nez announced he was assembling a new posse of musicians to honour this music and take it out on the road again. Dipping a toe in the water, a handful of select venues were booked, in case history repeated itself and no one came! But come they did, in droves. The shows sold out almost immediately and made for one of the most memorable and surprising comebacks in musical history – The First National Band back on tour.

The album Michael Nesmith And The First National Band Redux Live at the Troubadour is probably the most historically important release from 7a Records, the British label that specializes in Monkees related releases. The concert presented on this double LP (with bonus track Rio) and single CD was 50 years in the making and is a must have for any music fan. The love and affection for songs like Different Drum, Joanne, and Grand Ennui is infectious – you can feel the good vibes and warmth emanating from the record!

7a Records have been working with Christian Nesmith who recorded, mixed and produced this album. He has managed to make one of the most exciting live albums of 2018. Michael, who is now 75 years old, still sounds like that 20 something kid who punched a hole in a hotel wall when Don Kirshner was bossing him around. Sure, he’s aged a little in tone, but man, that voice is just incredible. You want to sink into it. Eat it like cake.
Papa Nez himself has been raving about this record, and it has to be said that this quote from the legend had us at 7a wiping a little something from our eyes – “I’ve never been happier with a record. I’ve never been more proud and pleased to get it out in front of people, and play it and leave it with the people, in their care. It’s at the top of my form. It’s the best I can do. So if I die now… that was it, guys.”

The album is released as a deluxe CD digipak set with a 16 page colour booklet featuring previously unseen photos and extensive liner notes by Michael Nesmith, written in his own unique style. Also available as a limited edition 2LP gatefold set on 180g opaque gold vinyl. The vinyl features a special bonus performance of the song Rio.

US
CD: https://www.deepdiscount.com/live-at-the-trou…/5060209950228
2LP: https://www.deepdiscount.com/live-at-the-trou…/5060209950211
UK
CD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Troubadour-Michael-N…/…/ref=sr_1_1…
2LP: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Troubadour-180g…/…/B07DQ4RPQV…
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Charlie O.

Re: Mike Nesmith Live at the Troubadour!

Postby Charlie O. » 20 Jun 2018, 06:29

I'll be seeing him/them in September. I still don't know who else is in this incarnation of the FNB (is original drummer John Ware there?).

Muskrat
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 20 Jun 2018, 19:26

Charlie O. wrote:I'll be seeing him/them in September. I still don't know who else is in this incarnation of the FNB (is original drummer John Ware there?).

I don’t know, either. Would be nice to have included them in the press release.

But, to quote the title of Colin Escott and Martin Hawkins’ pioneering Jerry Lee Lewis sessionography: “I played on them — what the hell else do you need to know?”

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 20 Jun 2018, 19:42

I believe, but am not 100% certain, that no original members of the National Band other than Nesmith were present.

It was a great band, clearly modeled on them (with, imo, a better bass player), but it was not the original band.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 22 Jun 2018, 23:33

From the Second Disc write-up:

A reunion of the original band would have been impossible, as pedal steel guitarist O.J. “Red” Rhodes and bassist John London had died, and drummer John Ware had retired. So Mike recruited a new group for 2018 including his sons Christian (guitar) and Jonathan (piano/guitar/vocals), bassist Jonathan Chesney, pedal steel guitarist Pete Finney, drummer Christopher Ailis, and singers Amy Spear and Circe Link.

So there yuh go.

`

Postby ` » 11 Aug 2018, 17:02

Anyone else here got this yet?

Got mine yesterday and have been playing it pretty solidly for the last two days.

Stunning show in a beautifully crafted package.

If you love Papa Nes, you really ought to get this.

Just found out earlier today, he's currently recovering well from a quadruple bypass so not
sure if he'll be doing too many other shows in the short-/mid-term

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 11 Aug 2018, 19:50

caramba wrote:Anyone else here got this yet?

Got mine yesterday and have been playing it pretty solidly for the last two days.

Got mine a few days ago; haven't played it yet. Disappointed that "Rio" doesn't appear on the CD edition, though it's mentioned on the package. Makes me wonder what else was left out. And speaking of the package, lots of credits are given -- except recording facility and engineer. Sloppiness, or an attempt to avoid any questions about "sweetening" after the actual gig. In any case, I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 12 Aug 2018, 23:51

Charlie O. wrote:From the Second Disc write-up:

A reunion of the original band would have been impossible, as pedal steel guitarist O.J. “Red” Rhodes and bassist John London had died, and drummer John Ware had retired. So Mike recruited a new group for 2018 including his sons Christian (guitar) and Jonathan (piano/guitar/vocals), bassist Jonathan Chesney, pedal steel guitarist Pete Finney, drummer Christopher Ailis, and singers Amy Spear and Circe Link.

So there yuh go.

Should be Jason Chesney. Fantastic player.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 13 Aug 2018, 00:04

I like this more than I thought I might. I feared he might sound haggered but, nope. He's as fresh as a daisy
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 19 Aug 2018, 01:02

bump
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Return to “Yakety Yak”