Peter Hammill - Afterwards

Do talk back
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Peter Hammill - Afterwards

Postby zoomboogity » 23 Nov 2017, 10:46

First song on their first album, live at the LA Troubadour 1977. I don't expect any converts, but those who are predisposed should enjoy it.

"Quite."

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Peter Hammill - Afterwards

Postby naughty boy » 23 Nov 2017, 11:28

I can’t listen to the clip right now but I really like that song - probably my favourite VdGG of all (not that I’m a huge fan!)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 23 Nov 2017, 11:44

Have you heard Fool's Nate, John?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 23 Nov 2017, 22:43

Love this song! Hammill is amazing

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 23 Nov 2017, 23:43

zoomboogity wrote:Have you heard Fool's Nate, John?

sorry Richard - I've just seen this!

Erm....no, I haven't. Is it a Hammill solo album? I only own the one (Nadir's Last Chance?) and it's....OK :)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 24 Nov 2017, 00:14

Fool's Mate is his first solo album, released in 1971. It came out just before VDGG's Pawn Hearts. when PH was finding his voice, but this is a collection of songs he wrote as a teenager which are closer to Afterwards, so he puts his "Van Der Graaf voice" aside to suit the material. IOW, no shouting and no jarring musical passages. You might like it. It includes what could be his most beautiful love song, Vision. That one and Candle are probably my favorites. Here it is, with some bonus demos at the end:

Trivia time: the first time VDGG broke up was before their first album. The Aerosol Grey Machine started as a Hammill solo album, but as he assembled the same people for the sessions, they just decided to use the name. It's a great name - it sounds unwieldy at first, but once you find out what a Van de Graaff Generator is, it really fits. The misspelling was a mistake by the band, but even that works.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 24 Nov 2017, 00:30

Thanks! Listening now - this is good stuff...

Return to “Yakety Yak”