BCB's Top 100 Albums of the 21st Century - And the winner is...

Do talk back
copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: BCB's Top 100 Albums of the 21st Century - And the winner is...

Postby copehead » 24 Nov 2017, 09:49

Another record that gets little love here but would be Top 5 in most British music media's polls would be Up The Bracket.

It is a fantastic album made by a real band with some interesting ideas and it helped reinvigorate guitar music one last time.

Perhaps people find it difficult to divorce from the soap opera that followed and from the fact that Doherty can be a spectacular and self pitying drug twat.
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 24 Nov 2017, 09:53

Copehead wrote:Perhaps people find it difficult to divorce from the soap opera that followed and from the fact that Doherty can be a spectacular and self pitying drug twat.

And yet You Are The Quarry made the top grade.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 24 Nov 2017, 10:07

never/ever wrote:
Copehead wrote:Perhaps people find it difficult to divorce from the soap opera that followed and from the fact that Doherty can be a spectacular and self pitying drug twat.

And yet You Are The Quarry made the top grade.

It is a a good Morrissey album it has two classic Morrissey songs on and he still had fans here when he released it, why wouldn't it be on the list? The only surprise is Ringleader of the Tormentors isn't too. Plus Morrissey doesn't need drugs to be a self pitying twat, unlike Doherty he does it stone cold sober and that is the mark of a man.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 24 Nov 2017, 10:27

I think Moz's spectacular fall from grace is, impact-wise,
exactly like Doherty's. All self -inflicted and deservedly roundly criticised.
To give Morrissey a pass and Doherty not is bollocks- given that, if you rightly say, Up The Bracket is a great record. I think most people forgot about it or it bubbled under the 30 required albums per list.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 24 Nov 2017, 10:28

Copehead wrote:Another record that gets little love here but would be Top 5 in most British music media's polls would be Up The Bracket.

It is a fantastic album made by a real band with some interesting ideas and it helped reinvigorate guitar music one last time.

Perhaps people find it difficult to divorce from the soap opera that followed and from the fact that Doherty can be a spectacular and self pitying drug twat.

I found it difficult to divorce from the fact it's shite.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 24 Nov 2017, 10:28

never/ever wrote:I think Moz's spectacular fall from grace is, impact-wise,
exactly like Doherty's. All self -inflicted and deservedly roundly criticised.
To give Morrissey a pass and Doherty not is bollocks- given that, if you rightly say, Up The Bracket is a great record. I think most people forgot about it or it bubbled under the 30 required albums per list.

I voted for both so I am in the clear on this one, I gave both of them a pass for twattish behaviour.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 24 Nov 2017, 10:29

Moleskin wrote:
Copehead wrote:Another record that gets little love here but would be Top 5 in most British music media's polls would be Up The Bracket.

:)

True.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 24 Nov 2017, 10:34

Moleskin wrote:

But it does come very near the top of many similar polls.

I think it probably had little impact in the States, came at a time when the demographic on here had seen this sort of thing 3-4 times before at least and tastes on here err towards crepuscular m0gadon rock these days so it was probably a bit noisy for some and made them feel like shaking their fists at young people and reminding them it had been all done a lot better when they were young, which is probably true.

But for the age group it was meant for it was an important album, and I suppose that explains its enduring popularity in musical polls not on BCB.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Nov 2017, 10:37

Utter, utter shit.

Morrissey may be a twat but at least he didn't run away from a possible crime scene (and past the dead body of somebody who had just fallen from the balcony of a party they were at).
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 24 Nov 2017, 11:31

So he is a coward as well as a twat. Fine.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 24 Nov 2017, 15:10

Goat Boy wrote:Utter, utter shit.

Morrissey may be a twat but at least he didn't run away from a possible crime scene (and past the dead body of somebody who had just fallen from the balcony of a party they were at).

Holy shit, he did?
I'm changing my vote.
Redo the poll!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Nov 2017, 15:26

Count Machuki wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Utter, utter shit.

Holy shit, he did?
I'm changing my vote.
Redo the poll!

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014/jan/08/jerry-sadowitz-mark-blanco
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 25 Nov 2017, 11:03

Darryl Strawberry wrote:
Moleskin wrote:

:lol:
As Meatloaf said, "You took the words right out of my mouth."

And yet it would be Top 10 with people with far better taste than us like the Mojo or Q editorial teams if they were doing such a poll, and they probably have.

Look at our list; don't you cringe with embarrassment at its sheer mediocrity and its wilful neglect of great popular LPs in favpur of tuneless crap?

We have turned our backs on what is popular and embraced the mediocre simply because it was popular with people who are no longer us, younger people.

The musical taste on this board has become an execrable embracing of the banal simply because it isn't mainstream, and the reason it is not mainstream is because it is excruciatingly banal, whether it be lukewarm americana, aimless electronica or tuneless singer songwriters.

There is a reason it is Ed Sheeran playing the O2 not Conor Oberst or Surfan Stevens, and it isn't because everyone else has crap taste it is because people like us have crap taste.

We are the ones looking foolish, clueless and tuneless here so you can wipe those smug grins of your faces for not Voting for Up The Bracket.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 25 Nov 2017, 20:21

Copehead wrote:
Darryl Strawberry wrote:
Moleskin wrote:

:lol:
As Meatloaf said, "You took the words right out of my mouth."

And yet it would be Top 10 with people with far better taste than us like the Mojo or Q editorial teams if they were doing such a poll, and they probably have.

Look at our list; don't you cringe with embarrassment at its sheer mediocrity and its wilful neglect of great popular LPs in favpur of tuneless crap?

We have turned our backs on what is popular and embraced the mediocre simply because it was popular with people who are no longer us, younger people.

The musical taste on this board has become an execrable embracing of the banal simply because it isn't mainstream, and the reason it is not mainstream is because it is excruciatingly banal, whether it be lukewarm americana, aimless electronica or tuneless singer songwriters.

There is a reason it is Ed Sheeran playing the O2 not Conor Oberst or Surfan Stevens, and it isn't because everyone else has crap taste it is because people like us have crap taste.

We are the ones looking foolish, clueless and tuneless here so you can wipe those smug grins of your faces for not Voting for Up The Bracket.

Oh just go away
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 25 Nov 2017, 20:37

So my thoughts on the top ten are surely worth something after I put all that bloody work in?

I like the Broken Social Scene a lot. Sure, it strays into indie preciousness and hipster/slackerdom a bit, but I think it overcomes that. One of those records where every song has its own particular personality and mood, yet it all hangs together as a whole, to the extent it becomes really difficult to pick highlights. Their kind of indie Wu-Tang thing got a bit tiresome after a while and none of their subsequent albums have had any similar impact.

I also like the Björk one a lot. I'm perhaps on record as not being a fan, but I've come round a lot. There's beauty and fascination in that album for sure.

SFA is a bit of an odd one. I like the debut but thought it was downhill from there. Didn't get very excited by the songs I checked out.

MGMT were great for the singles but I couldn't get into the album. Likewise Midlake started brilliantly with 'Roscoe' then blanded out, I thought.

Kendrick Lamar is absolutely one of hip-hop's peaks, an album of depth, intelligence, staggering creativity, and - and this cannot be stressed enough - genuine social and cultural import. I feel sorry for the naysayers who want it to sound like Eric B and Rakim or something. There's so much more to it than that. One of the biggest issues with modern music is that it doesn't matter. This record did. It should have been number one.

The Strokes is good. Nothing amazing, but I always liked them. Good catchy scuzzy rock songs. They looked good. The fact that they nicked the sound and the look from other bands thirty years earlier is a stumbling point, but the material is good.

Arcade Fire is a blast of passion and invention and prettiness. They gave it everything, as shown by nothing else they did being up to much.

The Radiohead is excellent. About the only modern band who've managed to get the magic mixture of invention, songwriting and actual significance and success that places them in the pantheon; this is their best work since OK Computer.

And that leaves Bowie. I love Bowie, his death saddened me... but this album was merely OK. He found his voice again after decades in the wilderness, but the ideas and songs were a mixed bag. I have to agree with those arguing that sentiment elevated it. And that's OK, in a way. Our feelings will always come into this and that's why it's things like Bowie, Radiohead and Kendrick Lamar that get the top spots.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 26 Nov 2017, 02:51

trans-chigley express wrote:
PENK wrote:178= Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase.

Such a disappointing placing for this, my favourite 21st Century album of all. Not enough SW fans voting despite my rallying calls on FB :lol:

Ha thought I voted for it realize now it was one of the last ones eliminated. :oops:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 26 Nov 2017, 03:45

If it was still 2003 this album would make my top 30 but its 2017 and the libertines and this album have fallen. They came in around 60 on my current list. I would say I took BSP album over Up the Bracket mostly because I still play songs (if not the whole album) once in a while. Along with a bunch of songs since the first album. However, that first tour was a blast saw the first two shows in america.

although so was BSP!

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 26 Nov 2017, 05:00

as far as the last 11:
amy - glad to see her place so high. I actually like the first album better but voted for Amy! Shame I only got to see Amy once and with no camera.

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People - Surprised to see this listed so high. I like the whole album so much variety and group of musicians with different backround. Led to a great album with everyone allowed to chip in. The tour in the early days was a blast you never knew who would show up

Björk - Vespertine - Thought you guys forgot this one - I think it was one of Bjork's best albums.

Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World - nice pick didn't make my list but in my top 50.
Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther - good pick here as its an album in my collection but not a top 100 maybe need to take another listen.

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular - Don't get it - okay band but so much better albums came out than this. Guess it fills that hard rockin style something I don't need.

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights - happy as clams this made it so high. Top 5 for me after 9/11 I sadly lived this album.Don't believe me read "meet me in the bathroom"

The Strokes - Is This It - disagree with the haters this was a top album of the 00's - while it might not stand the test of time it was a times changer and a still play several songs.

Arcade Fire - Funeral - Top 5 album for me. emotional, full of energy band with powerful live shows. Snapped this picture with David Byrne playing with arcade fire (David Bowie was there that night too)

Radiohead - In Rainbows - best touring band since 00. Didn't vote for it as I took Kid A.

David Bowie - Blackstar - maybe I'm too down from the death of Bowie for this album to hit me right. Great sound, lyrics and production just doesn't do it all for me. Still a top 75 album.
here is 1 and 3 together.

sad to see no Tori

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 26 Nov 2017, 09:43

MGMT 'hard rockin' ?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 26 Nov 2017, 12:33

Hightea wrote:

If it was still 2003 this album would make my top 30 but its 2017 and the libertines and this album have fallen. They came in around 60 on my current list. I would say I took BSP album over Up the Bracket mostly because I still play songs (if not the whole album) once in a while. Along with a bunch of songs since the first album. However, that first tour was a blast saw the first two shows in america.

Hardly worth having a rant any more if people are going to be so reasonable.

I took BSP, Do You Like Rock Music, over The Libertines as well, but I got both into my 50. It was hard to find albums that I actually listen to now to go on the list but I listen to both of those albums regularly or more correctly parts of them, but I listen to No Lucifer and I Get Along very regularly because they are both on my Gym play list. They would be two of my favourite songs of the Millennium, No Lucifer might be my favourite song of the Millennium full stop

But it is a genuinely dull top 100 in large parts and at least Up The Bracket isn't a dull album

Return to “Yakety Yak”