Whoop! Neil Young releases non-new music

Do talk back
Tactful Cactus

Whoop! Neil Young releases non-new music

Postby Tactful Cactus » 05 Aug 2017, 11:47

I'm sure you guys have heard these before through bootlegs etc, but its new to me and 1976 solo Neil Young is top-class

http://pitchfork.com/news/neil-young-re ... ck-listen/

01 Pocahontas
02 Powderfinger
03 Captain Kennedy
04 Hawaii
05 Give Me Strength
06 Ride My Llama
07 Hitchhiker
08 Campaigner
09 Human Highway
10 The Old Country Waltz

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Whoop! Neil Young releases non-new music

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 05 Aug 2017, 12:52

Hawaii and Give me strength remained unreleased.

All the others were spread over different albums.

Let's hope we can hear the original versions here.

There was a very interesting article in this month's Uncut about all the albums he made that remain unreleased.
Even has track lists as to what may have been on them and were most songs ended up.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 05 Aug 2017, 13:24

I would have been all over this 10-15 years ago. A quick check of My collection informs me that I acquired a bootleg containing versions of most of these tracks about 5 years ago ... it remains unplayed!
Nevertheless it should be good!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Aug 2017, 17:03

I'd still love to see the second Archives box and the rest of his '70s catalog remastered.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 05 Aug 2017, 19:08

Matt Wilson wrote:I'd still love to see the second Archives box and the rest of his '70s catalog remastered.

I read something about an online archive coming soon? Google it, cant link on phone

Postby ... » 05 Aug 2017, 20:15

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:I'd still love to see the second Archives box and the rest of his '70s catalog remastered.

I read something about an online archive coming soon? Google it, cant link on phone

Yeah, I saw something similar on - I think - the Rusties' main site.

Was seriously considering buying this month's issue of Ucunt because of this and the Nick Lowe article. It would have been the first time I bought the thing in about five years. Then I thought, wtf, all of the listings in the article are going to be on one of the NY obsessives' sites for free anyway.

Remember reading ages ago that a live set (and maybe even video highlights) of his three nights at the Hammersmith Odeon from March 76 will be part of Archives II (assuming we all live long enough to hear them). Having been bang in the centre of the third row for the Tuesday night show, I certainly hope so. Even 41 years on, it stands as one of the two or three best concerts I've ever seen.

The other thing about that night that sticks in my mind after all these years is how absurdly easy it was to get tickets back then. I just sent off a cheque for something like UK£3 and a self-addressed envelope and back came the tickets a week later.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 05 Aug 2017, 21:32

fueryIre wrote:Having been bang in the centre of the third row for the Tuesday night show, I certainly hope so. Even 41 years on, it stands as one of the two or three best concerts I've ever seen.

You lucky shit.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 07 Aug 2017, 18:44

There is an hour-long concert film from early 1976 titled "Yesteryear of the Horse" on bootlegs, that has what I believe to be some of the Hammersmith Odeon footage. It's excellent stuff, one of the best bootleg videos I've ever found. THAT sure as heck needs to come out.

There are also some soundboards from his Japanese shows early in the year, that are fantastic. I believe he was in a mode of recording all his shows at the time.

If that "online archive" comes to pass, I'd for sure spring for those.

RE the Hitchiker album, I'm pretty sure I have heard some of those takes on the original Chrome Dreams lp, though they could be different sessions. It does sound very promising though.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Aug 2017, 19:26

I don't get the sense that Hitchhiker is an unreleased album (a la Smile) as much as an idea for an album that never came together, which seem to be kind of a dime a dozen in NY's heyday.

Having said that, I'll be happy to listen to the newly unearthed tracks.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 07 Aug 2017, 20:37

Snarfyguy wrote:I don't get the sense that Hitchhiker is an unreleased album (a la Smile) as much as an idea for an album that never came together, which seem to be kind of a dime a dozen in NY's heyday.

Having said that, I'll be happy to listen to the newly unearthed tracks.

It seems to be an album's worth of songs recorded solo/ acoustic on one night, by David Briggs. Presumably he had the idea to do something immediate, maybe after having lingered so long over the unreleased Homegrown album that he made himself sick of it before it was even mastered.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Postby ... » 08 Aug 2017, 09:51

bobzilla77 wrote:There is an hour-long concert film from early 1976 titled "Yesteryear of the Horse" on bootlegs, that has what I believe to be some of the Hammersmith Odeon footage. It's excellent stuff, one of the best bootleg videos I've ever found. THAT sure as heck needs to come out.

There are also some soundboards from his Japanese shows early in the year, that are fantastic. I believe he was in a mode of recording all his shows at the time.

If that "online archive" comes to pass, I'd for sure spring for those.

RE the Hitchiker album, I'm pretty sure I have heard some of those takes on the original Chrome Dreams lp, though they could be different sessions. It does sound very promising though.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 09 Aug 2017, 14:32

Now it looks like there will be no (physical) follow up to the first Archives box.
Article

Neil Young is preparing to put his entire audio archive online so that “every single track or album” he has produced since 1963 will be available to be streamed at up to ‘full resolution’.

He is developing a new NYA (Neil Young Archives) ‘timeline‘ feature on his website that will allow fans to browse the music and zoom in and out of particular eras to see more detail such as dates of recording sessions, album art, and credits. Alternatively, the archive can be accessed using the NYA ‘filing cabinet‘ interface, where the it is presented chronologically; stored on ‘info cards’ with associated credits, memorabilia, films or videos. Information is still being added to the NYA, which Young describes as a ‘living document’.

All released material is available with unreleased album art ‘pencilled in’ on the NYA timeline so fans can see where they will appear “once they are completed”.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 09 Aug 2017, 14:42

He sure loves organizing! Some will be disappointed with no physical box set, but this plan makes complete sense. I might read Shakey again and follow the story along with the archive timelines

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 15 Feb 2018, 04:02

New story from the Los Angeles Times

But for Young, the biggest hurdle for Pono was monetary.

"The record labels killed it," he said. "They killed it by insisting on charging two to three times as much for the high-res files as for MP3s. Why would anybody pay three times as much?"

Although he said that users downloaded more than 1 million high-resolution audio tracks from Pono, ultimately there wasn't sufficient momentum, or financial success.

"It's my feeling that all music should cost the same," he said. "The [high-resolution] file doesn't cost any more to transfer. And today with streaming, you don't have the problem [of unauthorized file sharing]. Who wants to copy something if you can stream it?

"The record companies, by charging three times as much for hi-res music as they charge for regular music, they've killed hi-res music," he said. "It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen."
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 15 Feb 2018, 13:48

Muskrat wrote:New story from the Los Angeles Times

But for Young, the biggest hurdle for Pono was monetary.

"The record labels killed it," he said. "They killed it by insisting on charging two to three times as much for the high-res files as for MP3s. Why would anybody pay three times as much?"

Although he said that users downloaded more than 1 million high-resolution audio tracks from Pono, ultimately there wasn't sufficient momentum, or financial success.

"It's my feeling that all music should cost the same," he said. "The [high-resolution] file doesn't cost any more to transfer. And today with streaming, you don't have the problem [of unauthorized file sharing]. Who wants to copy something if you can stream it?

"The record companies, by charging three times as much for hi-res music as they charge for regular music, they've killed hi-res music," he said. "It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen."

Was he unaware of this before he started the business? There were sites selling hi res files before Pono started and there are still sites selling hi res files. There must be more to than that. The Pono player got pretty good reviews but was not marketed outside the US. hi res music players are going from strength to strength in the Hifi industry and there is a solid demand for files to play on them but Pono (both the player and the file store) were dead in the water almost as soon as they were launched.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 15 Feb 2018, 18:44

I agree with him that it's idiotic for labels to charge that much for high res files when people can get a low res file, or stream it in low res, for basically nothing.

I like the sound of 24 bit but I've only ever paid for two albums in that format.

I think they were trying to justify the cost of mastering and making the stuff available online (cheaper than physical pressings but not free) to a limited audience that was interested in high res.

Anyway the latest news about release from the Archive was about the LA Roxy 1973 shows - Tonight's The Night Live! I'll be all over that when it comes out.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 15 Mar 2018, 22:12

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... it-w517920

These records are all about what was happening at the time and i love having them there where I can dive in and check out different records for their tone. Zuma is a good one that I like. We also have Dume coming – from Point Dume. It's another take on Zuma, which has six unreleased Zuma tracks, but slightly different. So there's a lot of things coming.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 16 Mar 2018, 03:59

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Mar 2018, 05:07

Hmm...just visited the archives for the first time in a while. Still a lot of empty files, but there's more new stuff. And it's still free!

Interesting interview that Baron posts. He's writing his first novel. Can't say I have the highest hopes, but he just keeps doing whatever the hell he wants. And why not?
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 16 Mar 2018, 13:14

toomanyhatz wrote:...there's more new stuff...

Anything a guy like me would want to head back there and check out?

Return to “Yakety Yak”