Dear Radiohead...

Do talk back

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24040
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: Dear Radiohead...

Postby Deebank » 25 Apr 2017, 10:00

They should pull the gig. It really undermines all their other 'good' works.
Johnny Greenwood's mrs is Israeli according the article.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32974
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Dear Radiohead...

Postby Goat Boy » 25 Apr 2017, 10:21

Israel is not an apartheid state though, is it? :?

I mean, I can understand objections but...
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12577
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Dear Radiohead...

Postby Geezee » 25 Apr 2017, 12:02

Goat Boy wrote:Israel is not an apartheid state though, is it? :?


Well that's a bit of a minefield - a pretty high-profile UN report recently concluded that it is, but was then withdrawn for the obvious reasons. The extreme restrictions on movement, separate roads/infrastructure for palestinians, the illegal settlements, inability to gain citizenship, different water supplies, and building of walls represent clear and systematic discrimination. But yes, palestinians have the right to vote, (sort of) an education, and the discrimination, while systematic, is not enshrined in law (as it was in South Africa).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32974
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Dear Radiohead...

Postby Goat Boy » 25 Apr 2017, 12:10

Thanks for that
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24040
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: Dear Radiohead...

Postby Deebank » 25 Apr 2017, 16:13

Geezee wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Israel is not an apartheid state though, is it? :?


Well that's a bit of a minefield - a pretty high-profile UN report recently concluded that it is, but was then withdrawn for the obvious reasons. The extreme restrictions on movement, separate roads/infrastructure for palestinians, the illegal settlements, inability to gain citizenship, different water supplies, and building of walls represent clear and systematic discrimination. But yes, palestinians have the right to vote, (sort of) an education, and the discrimination, while systematic, is not enshrined in law (as it was in South Africa).


At best that makes Gaza and the West Bank like Lesotho (which was an 'autonomous' kingdom within SA) during apartheid - although Lesotho was never under military occupation of course.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12577
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Dear Radiohead...

Postby Geezee » 26 Apr 2017, 08:57

Deebank wrote:
Geezee wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Israel is not an apartheid state though, is it? :?


Well that's a bit of a minefield - a pretty high-profile UN report recently concluded that it is, but was then withdrawn for the obvious reasons. The extreme restrictions on movement, separate roads/infrastructure for palestinians, the illegal settlements, inability to gain citizenship, different water supplies, and building of walls represent clear and systematic discrimination. But yes, palestinians have the right to vote, (sort of) an education, and the discrimination, while systematic, is not enshrined in law (as it was in South Africa).


At best that makes Gaza and the West Bank like Lesotho (which was an 'autonomous' kingdom within SA) during apartheid - although Lesotho was never under military occupation of course.


I've travelled to Israel/Palestine and West/East Jerusalem a couple of times and I've never come across a more oppressive atmosphere than around the border wall from Ramallah to get back to Jerusalem - and to think that Palestinians there, to make a basic living, have to put up with it every single day, with enormous queues of cars circling for miles, in desert heat, for the privilege of being brusquely searched by Israeli soldiers at gunpoint, is galling - and of course on the other side everything is perfectly normal and runs fine, except that in Eastern Jerusalem, for some curious reason, the refuse pick-up only ever seems to work very occasionally while it works perfectly fine on the other side, meaning that the muslims live in many filthy districts. But they get to vote - yes they get to vote - for a government that, erm, represents their interests. For sure, Israel will defend itself by saying it is effectively at war, maintain that this morally justifies their discriminatory measures compared to colonialist South Africa, and hence means it's not really "apartheid"...although of course the apartheid regime justified its measures with similar language - Nelson Mandela was a terrorist after all.

Either way, it's a tricky one - I can see merits with what Paul Simon did in South Africa, but equally I sympathise with the strong reaction against it...and I would put anyone who plays in Israel in a similar category, apartheid or not.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON