Zappa corner. bung it here.

Do talk back
Fonz

Re: Zappa corner. bung it here.

Postby Fonz » 21 Jun 2021, 07:53

Another live (official) double from the ‘88 tour dropped on Friday.
I’ll check it out later. According to the Hoffman forum, the quality is excellent. Beatles medley etc
I got mine from Amazon. Good price.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 21 Jun 2021, 08:34

Got this for next to nothing at the flea market Saturday.. sweet!

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Jun 2021, 21:29

Fonz wrote:Another live (official) double from the ‘88 tour dropped on Friday.
I’ll check it out later. According to the Hoffman forum, the quality is excellent. Beatles medley etc

Yes - I saw that

That is a point of saturation though lad

I think might be there

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Jun 2021, 21:29

Chicago a nice upbeat track!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Jun 2021, 21:30

whoops wrong thread!

Last edited by C on 25 Jun 2021, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Jun 2021, 21:30

From a time when we really thought we could change the world

Six String

Postby Six String » 25 Jun 2021, 22:33

C wrote:Chicago a nice upbeat track!

You two timing son of a gun. :D
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Jun 2021, 22:35

Six String wrote:
C wrote:Chicago a nice upbeat track!

You two timing son of a gun. :D

Whoops!

:oops:

:lol:

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 25 Jun 2021, 23:34

C wrote:
Fonz wrote:Another live (official) double from the ‘88 tour dropped on Friday.

Yes - I saw that

That is a point of saturation though lad

I think might be there

reached that point long time ago.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 14 Aug 2021, 01:19

Talking about struggling artists, took this off Dweezil's website

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to give you all an update. Since our last concert in March of 2020, many things have transpired. We've all experienced the madness of the pandemic and I hope you've all weathered the storm as best as you have been able. Not unlike all of you, my world was turned upside down in more ways than one. Without the ability to play live shows for the past year, I was forced to re-invent my whole approach to creating a sustainable way to support my family. It's been a challenge to say the least. In order to simplify the goal, I narrowed the focus to the core value of direct connection with my audience. In addition to that, I wanted the least amount of interference in the pathway, and if possible, total independence.

Reward Music became that pathway. A lot of hours were spent creating the platform and getting it out there for all artists and content creators. It's a great tool and it evolves daily with more and more additions and improvements. Since starting my own website, powered by Reward Music, I have been working very hard to bring together the elements I need to create the foundation for a sustainable future. While I'm not where I want to be in terms of being able to provide fresh content as often as I would like because I'm still in build mode with many projects, the good news is that I will be able to make improvements in every area of my creative life. Why? Because, for the first time ever, I will have a "Sound Laboratory" of my own. It's been many years in the making and it has been a tremendous struggle and arduous journey to get to the point where there is now light at the end of the tunnel.

In the very near future I will be able to create new music, collaborate with different artists, perform live stream concerts and one off events with multi-camera set ups paired with studio quality audio. I'll be able offer a comprehensive guitar lesson series as well as open spots for private guitar lessons, or even live group lessons all through my site. I will be able to create other content like gear demos and tutorials for guitar tones and sound experiments. There are so many possibilities and combinations but without a "Sound Laboratory" I had no way of doing any of it.

Very Soon - I will!

Other exciting projects include Dolby ATMOS mixing of my own music and the music of other artists. I'll be able to mix live concert audio like never before and create Live Concert Specials (the equivalent of DVDs) from years of filmed shows. I'll also be able to complete "What The Hell Was I Thinking?" and mix that in ATMOS as well!

With all of those things coming into focus there will be a move towards daily live broadcasting of all sorts, music, live podcasts (with video) on different topics as well as Exclusive subscription programming. Currently there is only the Silver subscription but I will be creating other options that will include even greater access to exclusive content directly from my studio.

The goal is to make exciting and inspiring music and video content, make it easy to find, all in one place, and invite all of you to join me and my musical friends on the journey. It's a different world now and I'm working hard to make the best of it. I look forward to connecting with all of you and I appreciate your support.

As I close this blog I want to fill you in on the live touring options that I'm hearing about. There's still a large amount of uncertainty regarding touring. The logistics of the industry have become even more challenging than ever before and in the short term there is too much financial risk for an independent artist like me. That being said we are looking at resuming shows in the summer of 2022. Without the ability to support my family and my musical compatriots and crew through our normal channels of touring until 2022 at the earliest, I've got my nose to the grindstone, plugging away at all of the other projects I mentioned above. I'll definitely keep you posted on the touring plans and I look forward to eventually seeing you back out there on tour.

Be well everyone! DZ

Sounds kinda desperate, don't you think?
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 Aug 2021, 12:48

mudshark wrote:Talking about struggling artists, took this off Dweezil's website

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to give you all an update. Since our last concert in March of 2020, many things have transpired. We've all experienced the madness of the pandemic and I hope you've all weathered the storm as best as you have been able. Not unlike all of you, my world was turned upside down in more ways than one. Without the ability to play live shows for the past year, I was forced to re-invent my whole approach to creating a sustainable way to support my family. It's been a challenge to say the least. In order to simplify the goal, I narrowed the focus to the core value of direct connection with my audience. In addition to that, I wanted the least amount of interference in the pathway, and if possible, total independence.

Reward Music became that pathway. A lot of hours were spent creating the platform and getting it out there for all artists and content creators. It's a great tool and it evolves daily with more and more additions and improvements. Since starting my own website, powered by Reward Music, I have been working very hard to bring together the elements I need to create the foundation for a sustainable future. While I'm not where I want to be in terms of being able to provide fresh content as often as I would like because I'm still in build mode with many projects, the good news is that I will be able to make improvements in every area of my creative life. Why? Because, for the first time ever, I will have a "Sound Laboratory" of my own. It's been many years in the making and it has been a tremendous struggle and arduous journey to get to the point where there is now light at the end of the tunnel.

In the very near future I will be able to create new music, collaborate with different artists, perform live stream concerts and one off events with multi-camera set ups paired with studio quality audio. I'll be able offer a comprehensive guitar lesson series as well as open spots for private guitar lessons, or even live group lessons all through my site. I will be able to create other content like gear demos and tutorials for guitar tones and sound experiments. There are so many possibilities and combinations but without a "Sound Laboratory" I had no way of doing any of it.

Very Soon - I will!

Other exciting projects include Dolby ATMOS mixing of my own music and the music of other artists. I'll be able to mix live concert audio like never before and create Live Concert Specials (the equivalent of DVDs) from years of filmed shows. I'll also be able to complete "What The Hell Was I Thinking?" and mix that in ATMOS as well!

With all of those things coming into focus there will be a move towards daily live broadcasting of all sorts, music, live podcasts (with video) on different topics as well as Exclusive subscription programming. Currently there is only the Silver subscription but I will be creating other options that will include even greater access to exclusive content directly from my studio.

The goal is to make exciting and inspiring music and video content, make it easy to find, all in one place, and invite all of you to join me and my musical friends on the journey. It's a different world now and I'm working hard to make the best of it. I look forward to connecting with all of you and I appreciate your support.

As I close this blog I want to fill you in on the live touring options that I'm hearing about. There's still a large amount of uncertainty regarding touring. The logistics of the industry have become even more challenging than ever before and in the short term there is too much financial risk for an independent artist like me. That being said we are looking at resuming shows in the summer of 2022. Without the ability to support my family and my musical compatriots and crew through our normal channels of touring until 2022 at the earliest, I've got my nose to the grindstone, plugging away at all of the other projects I mentioned above. I'll definitely keep you posted on the touring plans and I look forward to eventually seeing you back out there on tour.

Be well everyone! DZ

Sounds kinda desperate, don't you think?

Indubitably

Waffle too

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 03 Sep 2021, 17:32

Has anybody seen or heard The Zappa Band in concert? They're currently touring the US, supporting King Krimson, East Coast at the moment. The band consists of Ray White, Mike Keneally and Robert Martin and Joe "Vaultmeister Travers. I'll go and have a look at Youtube are something, this weekend.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Sep 2021, 08:57

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 04 Sep 2021, 20:38

Geezer a Zappa fanatic??? Didn't see that one coming.
Thanks for this. Interesting. I think Dirty Love done by FZ and BS could have been amazing.

BTW, The Zappa Band can be found on Qobuz: Live At Saratoga Springs.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Sep 2021, 09:08

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 Sep 2021, 05:22

Some will no doubt say "too much made of too little"... yeah, probably. I'm in, though. (But where's the Tony Palmer-remastered film we were promised several years ago?)

... in time for the film’s 50th anniversary, The Zappa Family Trust, UMe, and MGM are delivering the ultimate 200 Motels experience: a whopping 6-CD box set coming on November 19. There’s nothing slight about this package. It’s loaded with previously unreleased demos, outtakes, work mixes, interviews, movie dialogue, and advertisements. ...

[The] original soundtrack album sequence as conceived by Zappa hasn’t been altered for its remastered appearance on CDs 1 and 2 of the new set. Disc 2, however, adds demos and demo outtakes including alternate versions of “Tell Me You Love Me” and “Road Ladies” which would have been familiar from their appearance on Zappa’s 1970 LP Chunga’s Revenge. ...

Discs 3 and 4 offer “Dialog Protection Reels” which add up to an early audio version of the film and its wall-to-wall music, as well as a selection of Bonus Swill such as advertisements, various mixes, and voiceover snippets. The fifth and sixth CDs add previously unreleased outtakes, more alternate versions, rough mixes, and basic backing tracks, all sequenced to follow Zappa’s original shooting script. (The final shooting script would be altered due to both time and financial constraints.) These discs promise to present the clearest depiction yet of Zappa’s original intentions for the film... The final disc is rounded out with more Bonus Swill (rehearsals, album and movie advertisements, etc.).

Joe Travers discovered a number of quarter-inch reel-to-reel tapes recorded at London’s Trident Studios in February 1971 from which he could reconstruct previously unreleased parts of the score. “They reflect raw performances as they happened before FZ would get a hold of the multi-track masters and bring them to Whitney Studios in Glendale for over-dubs and sweetening,” the Vaultmeister explains in the press release. “The Trident tapes allow us to hear music that did not make the film, or the final soundtrack album. They also helped us to reconstruct pieces of music like ‘The Pleated Gazelle’ or ‘What’s The Name of Your Group?’ into their full sequences per the score. Over the years, even Frank himself forgot the sheer amount of music that actually did get recorded. All of the archiving for this 50th Anniversary set has produced incredible amounts of content that we would never had known existed otherwise.”

Everything is packaged within a 64-page hardcover book in a 12″ x 12″ slipcase. The album’s original booklet is replicated and updated with new liner notes from Pamela Des Barres (seen in the film as an interviewer), Ruth Underwood, and Joe Travers. ... The box comes with its share of period swag, too: a 200 Motels keychain, a “Do Not Disturb” motel door hanger, and a full-size replica of the original movie poster.

The remastered 200 Motels soundtrack will also be reissued on vinyl as a double-album set pressed on 180-gram black vinyl (standard release) and red vinyl (exclusive to Zappa.com, uDiscoverMusic.com, or TheSoundofVinyl.com). Both vinyl editions will be pressed by Optimal Media in Germany. The original soundtrack only will also be released as a 2-CD set, and all formats will include a smaller version of the movie poster. Finally, the entire Super Deluxe Edition will be available digitally for streaming and download. This will be 200 Motels’ digital debut in both standard and high-resolution audio.

https://theseconddisc.com/2021/09/24/direct-from-hollywood-frank-zappas-200-motels-turns-50-goes-super-deluxe/

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Sep 2021, 09:54

Charlie O. wrote:Some will no doubt say "too much made of too little"... yeah, probably.

I wouldn't necessarily go that far Chas but 6CDs (£110 in UK)...?

200 Motels has got it's moments and there are a few of them but it is certainly not my goto Zappa album.

More of the same...?

No thank you

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 Sep 2021, 13:00

C wrote:200 Motels has got it's moments and there are a few of them but it is certainly not my goto Zappa album.

Same here, but I'm really curious to hear the previously-unreleased stuff. And if they can improve the sound of the original album, that would be nice (that's not a given, I realize).

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Sep 2021, 14:20

Charlie O. wrote:
C wrote:200 Motels has got it's moments and there are a few of them but it is certainly not my goto Zappa album.

Same here, but I'm really curious to hear the previously-unreleased stuff. And if they can improve the sound of the original album, that would be nice (that's not a given, I realize).

Good points well made Chas

Fingers crossed

x

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 26 Sep 2021, 16:38

Checked on zappa.com. $150.00 for the whole shebang. A bit too much, I feel. For sentimental reasons I'll get the new red vinyl ($40.00). I'll listen to disc 3-6 through Qobuz. Not my favourite album but it has one of my favourite compositions: Strictly Genteel.

Return to “Yakety Yak”