Zappa corner. bung it here.

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: Zappa corner. bung it here.

Postby C » 26 Sep 2021, 17:02

mudshark wrote: but it has one of my favourite compositions: Strictly Genteel.

Yes, that's a corker Erik!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 Oct 2021, 14:23

How come you can't get the 2012 CD of Studio Tan anywhere?

I mean anywhere?

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Oct 2021, 18:52

Matt Wilson wrote:How come you can't get the 2012 CD of Studio Tan anywhere?

I mean anywhere?

discogs….?

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 Oct 2021, 21:07

No

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 01 Oct 2021, 23:48

From what I remember reading about it, it's just about the same as the vinyl original except there's no fade-out on Greggery Peccary (the song I'm going to play when I'm done with the contribution. Thank you.). I'm guessing not too many people bothered to get the new version just because of that, so they took it out of print. If you really really want it I think I can get you hooked up with some really groovy Zappaphiles who have everything one can wish for on offer, thrice.

Quick story: when I moved from Singapore to Houston via Rotterdam I didn't expect too many Zappa adepts in the town of Randy Travis. It took me but 6 weeks to run into a guy (in a bar, of course. Off Westheimer. Forgot the name. I'm 60), everybody called 'Zappa'. I got talking to him and quickly figured out that what I thought was a sizeable collection of FZ recordings and paraphernalia paled in comparison to his, and to many others. This was at the time of disc-swapping so I was keen t get things going but he and I didn't really get along. We still say hello at every Dweezil concert in Texas. Last time was Austin Feb 2019. Looking forward to meeting him again soon.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 02 Oct 2021, 00:27

Oh, I'll find it eventually. That's the last one I need from the 2012 CD reissues. You hard-core guys might find this interesting: http://lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinyl ... tpoop.html

I want all the original LP mixes on CD because I'm CD only.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Oct 2021, 01:32

two years ago to the month, Charlie O. wrote:I noticed today that a lot of those 2012 CD reissues are already out of print, or almost out of print. Some can be had very cheaply from Amazon US right now (but they're European pressings); others - Studio Tan, for one - are gone gone gone. If there are any of those that you might want but have put off getting, now would be a good time to act.

Yeah, I don't know why that would have been one of the first to go OOP. Mudshark's conjecture is a possibility; or maybe because there's so much overlap with Läther they didn't bother pressing as many of that title.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 30 Jun 2022, 16:33

Just read that UMG has bought the entire Zappa catalogue incl. the rights to his name and image.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 30 Jun 2022, 19:11

mudshark wrote:Just read that UMG has bought the entire Zappa catalogue incl. the rights to his name and image.

A link would be helpful :-)
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 Jun 2022, 20:31

well, it looks to me like Ahmet & Diva have never had to work a day in their lives.
must be nice.
uggy poopy doody.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 30 Jun 2022, 22:00

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 01 Jul 2022, 08:16

I came across this a few months ago, bunged it in a playlist and have always enjoyed it when it turned up.
Imagine my horror to find out it was written by FZ. Apart from the stuff he did with Beefheart, I've hated every note I've heard by him.

Is there more stuff he wrote/produced that he doesn't smother with his his smug voice and attitude?
Bugger off.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 01 Jul 2022, 20:29

No.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Jul 2022, 22:58

:lol:

C
Robust

Postby C » 06 Aug 2022, 16:01

C
Robust

Postby C » 06 Aug 2022, 16:02

double post

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 02 Oct 2022, 11:50

Today I visited an old-fashioned record store in Rotterdam named "De Plaatboef". It was a delightful experience. We don't make 'em like that in Houston. I scored a double LP called "Frank Zappa - Grand Wazoo Comic Book Extravaganza". I'd never heard of it. The cover doesn't state who's playing on it. It's published by PLR Great Britain Limited, record division. The cover also states: "Recorded in PLR studio B, New York City". It doesn't give a year this might have been recorded, though. The label shows the album is produced in 1975. One LP is red, the other white. I'm very curious, but I won't be able to play it until I get back home, which will be in 4-6 weeks or so, depending on a few things (nuclear war, work, lodging, faith). Discogs doesn't give much more info than what's on the cover, but it pleases me to see that I didn't get ripped off (paid Euro 60.00, and the median price is $55.00 - highest $98.00). Does anybody know this album?

C
Robust

Postby C » 02 Oct 2022, 14:19

Frank Zappa – Grand Wazoo Comic Book Extravaganza

Label: Mushroom Records Ltd. (2) – FZ0972
Format:
2 x Vinyl, LP, Unofficial Release, Red, White
Released: 1984

Tracklist
A1 Introduction
A2 Lohengrin, Act III
A3 Think It Over
B1 Comical Time: The Grand Wazoo Comic Soundbook
B2 Aproximate: Comical Play For All Instruments (Starring: Lots Of Ugly Notes)
C1 Comical Time Continued
C2 The Grand Wazoo Comic Book Extravaganza
C3 Arooh, Who Did It, Act I
C4 Arooh, Who Did It, Act II
C5 Arooh, Who Did It, Act III
C6 Fraudulents
D1 Dog Breath / The Uncle Meat Variations
D2 Big's Swifty
D3 Penis Dimension
D4 New Brown Clouds

Format: CD
Tracklist
1 Lohengrin, Act III 14:55
2 Think It Over 14:21
3 Aproximate: Comical Play For All Instruments (Starring: Lots Of Ugly Notes) 17:14
4 Dog Breath / The Uncle Meat Variations 4:49
5 Big's Swifty 11:44
6 Penis Dimension 1:36
7 New Brown Clouds 6:35

Recorded At – Felt Forum

Engineer [Recording Engineer] – Bill Moore (3)

The Grand Wazoo Orchestra, September 1972

FZ, Tony Duran, Jerry Kessler, Dave Parlato, Jim Gordon, Tom Raney, Ruth Underwood, Ian Underwood, Bruce Fowler, Malcolm McNabb, Tom Malone, Earle Dumler, Glenn Ferris, Sal Marquez, Ken Shroyer, Mike Altschul, Joanne McNabb, Jay Migliori, Ray Reed, Charles Owens.

1972-09-23 - Felt Forum, New York, NY, USA

On back tray card:
PLR, GREAT BRITAIN LIMITED
RECORD DIVISION
PLR HOUSE, ZONROB ST., LONDON W1

Recorded in PLR Studio B, New York City
Recording Engineer: Bill Moore

C
Robust

Postby C » 02 Oct 2022, 14:27

Grand Wazoo Comic Book Extravaganza (2 LP/CD)

Felt Forum, New York, 23-Sep-1972
Length: ~90 min
Sound quality: Audience C+
Label: Mushroom Records FZ 0972

Musicians (the Grand Wazoo band): Frank Zappa, Tony Duran, Jerry Kessler, Dave Parlato, Jim Gordon, Tom Raney, Ruth Underwood, Ian Underwood, Bruce Fowler, Malcolm McNabb, Tom Malone, Earl Dumler, Glen Ferris, Sal Marquez, Ken Shroyer, Mike Altschul, Joanne McNabb, Jay Migliori, Ray Reed & Charles Owens

1. Lohengrin Act 3 [Wagner]
2. Think It Over
3. The Grand Wazoo
4. Approximate
5. The Grand Wazoo
6. Arooh, Who Did It? Acts 1-3
7. Fraudulents
8. Dog Breath
9. Uncle Meat Variations
10. Big Swifty
11. Penis Dimension
12. New Brown Clouds

Some sources list "New Brown Clouds" as "New Brown Clouds (Regyptian Strut)". Track 6 is the Grand Wazoo Comic Book Extravaganza: Zappa conducts the audience in yelling comic-book sound effects, while the band reads from comic books. Charles Ulrich's Planet of My Dreams page has a transcription of it.

The first LP is red, and the second one is white (or possibly the other way around). They may contain tracks 1-5 and 6-12, respectively, but this is speculation. The artwork is yet unknown, but they were colour covers. Released in 1984.

(Gellborn Records, on Sveavägen in Stockholm, Sweden, once bought 25 copies of this bootleg, and were as of November 1999 still trying to sell them for 375 Swedish crowns a piece. At least one of their copies was defective - the red vinyl had been blended with lesser-quality material, which had oxidised badly. The same store also bought 25 copies of one of the Bolzano 1982 picture discs, which they managed to sell (all of them) much more quicky.)

In 2002, a 3-LP version was auctioned away on E-Bay. It seems there were simply two copies of the white disc, because the track list was given as roughly the same ("Lohengrin Act III", "Think It Over", "Comical Time", "The Grand Wazoo Comic Soundbook Starring Lots of Ugly Notes", "The Grand Wazoo Comic Book Extravaganza", "Arooh, Who did it? Acts I-III", "Dog Breath / The Uncle Meat Variations", "Big Swifty", "Penis Dimension", "New Brown Clouds"), there were two white discs and one red disc, and the set was unplayed

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 02 Oct 2022, 14:56

Thank you masked man!

Return to “Yakety Yak”