Egregious typos and mistakes on album covers

Do talk back
harvey k-tel
Long Player

Re: Egregious typos and mistakes on album covers

Postby harvey k-tel » 20 Nov 2013, 19:31

I was flipping through the charity store bins on Monday and saw a cover for some hard-rock act (I forget who, now) with "(The drummer) would like to thank Ludwig Drums and Zildgian Cymbals" printed on the back.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 20 Nov 2013, 20:26

Deebank wrote:Egregious Typos... didn't he play bass for Aphrodite's Child?

This still cracks me up.
Can somebody rename one of their aliases?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 21 Nov 2013, 05:41

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I was flipping through the charity store bins on Monday and saw a cover for some hard-rock act (I forget who, now) with "(The drummer) would like to thank Ludwig Drums and Zildgian Cymbals" printed on the back.

I just saw some thing saying "Ludvig drums" -- I wish I could remember what. I think it was an article from the '70s about some band.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

John Mc

Postby John Mc » 07 Dec 2013, 17:49

My CD of 'Tubular Bells' apparently features "Glokenspiel, Lowery Organ, and Turbular Bells"...
quix wrote:If you want to really live then you have to open yourself up to love... some you'll win, some you'll lose... but what is the point if being human if you don't dare?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Aug 2014, 04:08

Two blurbs from the back cover of The Blues Project Live At Town Hall (1967):

"There is a certain aura that emanates from some performers - James Brown and Ray Charles, for instance - that spells excitement. [Al] Kooper has this quality, and it is his presence that makes the Blues Project one of the most explosive rock groups in the country."
Skip Way, San Francisco, Calif. Golden Gator, Feb. 17, '67

"Driven by the imaginative lead guitar of Danny Kalb, the volatile electric piano of Al Kooper and the hit-the-roof-and-ricochet voice of Tommy Flanders, The Blues Project is very likely the most versatile, trail-blazing electric band in the country."
Bob Shelton - Cavalier

Never mind comparing Al Kooper to James Brown and Ray Charles (well, I never got to see them live... maybe he really was that exciting on stage back then) - what's really ridiculous is that Kooper had left the band before this package was put together (indeed, there's a photo of the Kooper-less now-quartet placed immediately above that first quote)... and Tommy Flanders left the band before their first album was completed (and this was their third)!

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 03 Sep 2014, 15:52

BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Nov 2014, 21:48

I'm looking at an old EMI CD of Monty Python's Previous Record, and on the back it lists a bunch of titles "included" on the disc. Alongside a few expected titles like "Dennis Moore", "Eric The Half Bee Song", and "Money Song", there are such entries as "Fashion Parade", "Alla Handel", Happy Movement", "Television Tensions" "Comic Giggles", "Medieval Fanfares" and "Beachy Head". Eventually I figured out that these must be the names of the bits of library music used as background! Nice to know, I suppose, but probably not big selling points for the punter looking it over in a record store.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 13 Nov 2014, 22:31

Charlie O. wrote: "Beachy Head".

I'm pretty sure that one is a sketch.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Nov 2014, 00:15

trans-chigley express wrote:
Charlie O. wrote: "Beachy Head".

I'm pretty sure that one is a sketch.

Beachy Head is mentioned in the "Stake Your Claim" sketch on Another Monty Python Record, but not on this one.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 14 Nov 2014, 00:19

^^^
You're right, I remember now. I knew Beachy Head was mentioned somewhere and "Stake Your Claim" does appear on one of the LPs.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 16 Nov 2014, 16:49

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 16 Nov 2014, 18:55

Charlie O. wrote:Image

Repulsive and funny at the same time.

No small feat.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 25 Nov 2014, 06:49

Quacoan wrote:The original vinyl side one [of Electronic Sound] starts with gunshot-sounding white noise bursts. This side, which sounds just like a guy playing with a synthesizer for 25 minutes, is meant to be called "Under the Mersey Wall". The other side, "No Time or Space", starts with a Mellotron-like sound, This 18:00 piece actually features some overdubbing and is more musical. I think it makes a better opener to the album, while the more chaotic other piece makes sense as side two.

There is also some question as to which of the two sides was Harrison messing about with the Moog and which was the Bernie Krause demonstration that Harrison recorded. According to Wikipedia, the more chaotic "Under the Mersey Wall" was the Harrison side, while the moodier "No Time or Space" was the Bernie Krause side. I have two reasons I think it might be the other way around: 1) side two is overdubbed which suggests it's something Harrison did at home, while side one just sounds like a demonstration, and 2) the tones on "No Time or Space" sounds more Mellotron-like and midrangey throughout. The sonic choices just sound like a Beatle.

This - which I assume was a Derek Taylor press release or something - appears in the booklet of the new GH box:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 25 Nov 2014, 07:29

a-HA!

From the new Electronic Sound booklet:

Keith Howlett wrote:Two long-form works were allocated to each side of the Electronic Sound LP. However, the American version had the pieces placed on the opposite sides to the UK record, yet with the same titles retained on the labels of the two sides. Consequently, there has been some confusion about which track is which. Research in 2014 has confirmed that the original UK LP and the 1996 CD have the correct titles for the two pieces. 'Under The Mersey Wall' is the shorter piece 'recorded at Esher in Merrie England' in February 1969.The title was in reference to the name of a column written for the Liverpool Echo newspaper called Over The Mersey Wall by the unrelated journalist George Harrison. 'No Time Or Space' is the longer piece that starts with 'gunshots', recorded in California in November 1968 'with the assistance of Bernie Krause'.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 25 Nov 2014, 08:29

I got this the other day, and while it's a great listen, the cover pisses me off every time I go to play it...

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 25 Nov 2014, 12:48

^^ :shock:

it's in very poor taste, without aesthetics, and whilst I don't preach the bible of PC in quite trivial matters, it's just not right.

A huge blooper for Soul Jazz.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 25 Nov 2014, 12:57

Well, it's not that so much as the tautology.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 25 Nov 2014, 13:11

An unspecified number of giants, but only one shoulder between them.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

morganspacehorse

Postby morganspacehorse » 26 Nov 2014, 06:23

Christ, that Oasis one's bad. Imagine all the stages of production that went through and no-one had the brains or balls to point out that it makes no sense. And what a SHIT cover anyway! What were they thinking?

Anyway, I've got a Tom Waits CD where he's credited as "Tom Wait" on the spine.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Nov 2014, 20:41

Charlie O. wrote:Image

I'll give you fitty cents for a copy.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Return to “Yakety Yak”